I think I'll get this started with my meet & greet post from earlier this month, and then start keeping notes on what I'm eating and what I'm doing. So here we go:

Hi all,
I've been lurking around here for the past week or so, and decided it was time to jump in. A little over a month ago I somehow stumbled across "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Coincidently, around the same time, Netflix recommended "Fat Head," and I found myself reading more and more on the subject of nutrition. Eventually, of course, I ended up here. Over the past year or so I've made an effort to eat less meat. I didn't intend to become completely vegetarian, but as an animal lover, and a believer in CW, I thought I should reduce my animal intake as much as possible. And in the past nine months I've been sick three times (serious, stay-in-bed for a few days sick, included a bout of strep, which I have never had before), I've been struggling with depression (a problem that I thought I had overcome years ago), and anxiety and fatigue. My weight is also a problem, and of course that only adds to the depression and lethargy. It now all makes so much sense! And I really think that changing my diet can help with all these problems.

During the month of March I started reducing my carb intake, and since about April 1 I have been following a pretty strict primal diet. I love it so far, I really enjoy cooking and it's been a fun challenge to see what I can come up with following the no grains/high fat/plenty of protein/lots of vegetables parameters. I have to say, I've been cooking some good stuff ) I'm feeling pretty good, my mood is definitely better. I feel much more even-tempered, I think my husband has even noticed that I'm not so snippy with him. I haven't had any uncontrollable cravings, and I really feel like I can keep eating this way forever, no problem. I didn't weigh myself at the beginning (denial, anyone?), but I know I've already lost a little weight, my husband has remarked that my face already looks thinner. So everything is really great, except...

I am so tired! I just feel foggy during the day. I've been trying to give up caffeine as well. Last Monday was my very last White Chocolate Mocha, but I've been having the occasional diet soda. This past Saturday I blew it and had several sodas, but then woke up during the night with my heart racing I tried to skip the coffee again today, but I was so drowsy at 11 am that I had a coffee with some raw whole milk and splenda (blech! I will not make that mistake again!). So my question is this, how long might this carb-flu last? I don't know what to do about the caffeine, maybe it was too much to go low carb AND caffeine free at once. Help!