Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal :: LucyH page

lucyh is offline Senior Member

Smile Primal Journal :: LucyH

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I'll get this started with my meet & greet post from earlier this month, and then start keeping notes on what I'm eating and what I'm doing. So here we go:

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around here for the past week or so, and decided it was time to jump in. A little over a month ago I somehow stumbled across "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Coincidently, around the same time, Netflix recommended "Fat Head," and I found myself reading more and more on the subject of nutrition. Eventually, of course, I ended up here. Over the past year or so I've made an effort to eat less meat. I didn't intend to become completely vegetarian, but as an animal lover, and a believer in CW, I thought I should reduce my animal intake as much as possible. And in the past nine months I've been sick three times (serious, stay-in-bed for a few days sick, included a bout of strep, which I have never had before), I've been struggling with depression (a problem that I thought I had overcome years ago), and anxiety and fatigue. My weight is also a problem, and of course that only adds to the depression and lethargy. It now all makes so much sense! And I really think that changing my diet can help with all these problems.

During the month of March I started reducing my carb intake, and since about April 1 I have been following a pretty strict primal diet. I love it so far, I really enjoy cooking and it's been a fun challenge to see what I can come up with following the no grains/high fat/plenty of protein/lots of vegetables parameters. I have to say, I've been cooking some good stuff ) I'm feeling pretty good, my mood is definitely better. I feel much more even-tempered, I think my husband has even noticed that I'm not so snippy with him. I haven't had any uncontrollable cravings, and I really feel like I can keep eating this way forever, no problem. I didn't weigh myself at the beginning (denial, anyone?), but I know I've already lost a little weight, my husband has remarked that my face already looks thinner. So everything is really great, except...

I am so tired! I just feel foggy during the day. I've been trying to give up caffeine as well. Last Monday was my very last White Chocolate Mocha, but I've been having the occasional diet soda. This past Saturday I blew it and had several sodas, but then woke up during the night with my heart racing I tried to skip the coffee again today, but I was so drowsy at 11 am that I had a coffee with some raw whole milk and splenda (blech! I will not make that mistake again!). So my question is this, how long might this carb-flu last? I don't know what to do about the caffeine, maybe it was too much to go low carb AND caffeine free at once. Help!

I'm a little discouraged lately. I didn't weigh myself when I first started, but I was feeling like I lost a little weight the first week or so, particularly around my face, neck and shoulders. I checked my weight 10 or 12 days ago, and it's just been hovering in the same 4 pound range ever since. I know the numbers are not supremely important, but I have a good 70 pounds to lose, so I would like to see at least a little downward movement. I have been pretty strict, and have quit eating nuts and reduced my dairy intake to ghee, a little bit of heavy cream, and occasional small amounts of sheep's milk feta. I have had a bowl of strawberries maybe three times in the past three weeks, and a small square of 85% chocolate every now and then. The worst thing I've eaten is a yam I cut up and cooked with some onions and peppers, home-fries style, for breakfast the other day. While I haven't had many sugar cravings (amazing, since I have always had a very strong sweet tooth), I was suddenly dying for a cupcake or a brownie, so I thought the sweet potato was a better option. It really helped alleviate that craving, and I don't plan on eating another one for awhile. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what I should change to get the scale to go down. I don't know if I'm not eating enough, or too much, or the wrong foods, or if I'm not moving enough. I've logged my food a few times on FitDay, and I was at about 1800-2000 calories, 60ish carbs, 100 protein and 130 fat. Since then, I haven't been as hungry, and often end up just eating two meals a day. I'm sure that puts me at significantly lower calories, though, so I'm trying to go back to three a day.

I'm hoping that keeping track in a journal here will help me figure out what else I can try, and if anyone does happen to read this, I am certainly open to suggestions! I am not giving up, I really think this is a good way for me to eat. Like I mentioned above, I have always had a sweet tooth, as well as a salty, crunchy tooth so binging on cookies or chips was a common problem. Eliminating that stuff has made those cravings much more manageable, and it's not like I'm going to binge on steak or eggs. I've been tired from eliminating grains and starches and sugars, but I'm slowly adding more physical activity to my day, and I'm really looking forward to that burst of energy that everyone keeps talking about! It hasn't happened yet, but I am less and less fatigued each day.

Today I ate:
    Two eggs scrambled with a little chunk of leftover pot roast, mushrooms and onions, topped with salsa and half an avocado
    Carl's Jr. Low-carb burger (it was a ridiculously busy morning and I didn't make lunch to take to work) (note to self: if I get this again, make sure to ask for no cheese, I have no idea what is in that hideous orange paste they put on there)
    a few olives
    Stuffed peppers (ground turkey, spinach, shredded zucchini) topped with marinara & feta
    Strawberries w/ HWC

Today I moved:
    Took the dog for a half hour walk through the nearby meadow
    Last edited by lucyh; 04-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lucy,

What's your age, weight, height? Any health (medication) issues that might interfere with weight loss attempts? How's your activity level? Doing any wall pushups, squats, etc.?

I've been a bit stalled in the same 4-5 lb range for a few weeks now. I know what I have to try to move on but haven't made a dedicated effort to cut sugar and dairy 100% out of my diet. It's been a long hard winter here and I'm laying the blame on that

Very cute dog nose!

Hi Belinda,
    I'm 44, 6 feet tall, and am 250ish lbs. No health issues that I know of and I don't take any medications. Just this past weekend I read through the PB Fitness book and started doing wall pushups, squats and planks, and I got a 15 lb. kettlebell to do deadlifts and swings yesterday. I think I'm going to try and do those things twice a week. I've been so tired that I haven't been walking as much as I like, but I am determined to start making that a habit again too. It's that vicious cycle-I don't want to walk because I'm tired, but I'm tired because I'm not walking enough. I just need to commit to doing it regularly. I've walked three out of the past four days, so I'll get there. I know in the past that exercise really helps me lose weight-and it's not the calories expended, because I've never been super athletic, I think it's more about being outside, getting fresh air and sunshine, and building muscles, it just all makes my body more efficient. So that's what I'm focusing on now, and I'll just keep eating like I have been, which is easily better than 80/20, probably more like 90/10. And yes, it has been a long, cold winter, and I blame that for my lack of activity
    I've been so good about the sugar, and haven't had any but what is in 85% dark chocolate, but dairy is tougher for me. I've cut out milk completely, but cheese, well, I love cheese I'm not worried about cooking with ghee, but I should probably work on eliminating the HWC, although even that I don't have much of, a pint lasts well over a week.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I think I had carb flu for a good month, so hopefully you will be getting over this real soon.

Do you take any Vitamin D? Even if you get outside, it probably wouldn't hurt to supplement.

I started taking vitamin D a week or two ago, but I sometimes forget to take them, I'm working on making it a habit I've been taking two 4,000 mg capsules a day.

As for the carb flu, it's coming and going now. I get pretty tired in the afternoon, but I feel okay most of the time, I'm definitely less headache-y now. I'm just waiting for that burst of energy I keep hearing about!

Today I ate:
    Coffee with cream
    Two hardboiled eggs
    Leftover stuffed peppers from dinner last night
    BAS with tuna, avocado, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichoke heart, olives, spinach, lettuce, and EVOO & Balsamic vinegar
    I'm going to experiment with some lettuce wraps for dinner, I have a pound of grass fed ground beef, so I'm going to cook it up with ginger, garlic, celery and maybe mushrooms, and whatever other interesting seasonings I dig up.

As for moving today, I will hopefully get home before dark and go for another walk.

It's 4 pm now, and I am a little tired and starting to get hungry. My big salad didn't fill me up all the way, I think I'll try having a cup of herb tea to hold me over until I leave work at 6.

I forgot to mention a tiny triumph for today. I left for work and headed to the little coffee shop in our town. All morning I had been justifying to myself that I should go ahead and get a White Mocha because I've been so good about not eating sugar, and that I should see how I felt after having one. Plus, the scale has just been bouncing around between the same four pounds for a couple weeks now, and isn't going down, so I deserved a treat, right? I know, ridiculous. I really had made up my mind to get one (it's been my usual order for months and months), but as soon as I walked in and the owner reached for the milk and the cup to get it started I stopped her and ordered an iced coffee instead. That was a close one!

Okay, I didn't go for a walk last night. All the gardening talk lately has got me motivated, so I spent 20 or 30 minutes doing some serious weeding instead, it was a surprisingly good workout. I think I'm going to try and some sort of yard work every night so I'll be ready to plant on Memorial Day (our last frost date).

My lettuce wraps came out so good:

I sautéed some grass-fed ground beef in coconut oil with ginger, garlic, shredded zucchini, carrots and cauliflower, and seasoned it all with chili sauce and a very little bit of fish sauce and soy sauce.

I will be making these again, for sure!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast