Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal :: LucyH page 3

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This morning the scale was actually lower! Just by half a pound, but still, I'll take it. I'm hopeful that this will be the start of a trend. I'm going to continue eating how I am eating for now. I'm planning on another weekend sweet potato, because I think that really helps minimize sugar cravings, but once a week isn't going to throw my carb levels out the window. I've got some beef shanks in the freezer, so I think I'll make osso buco my weekend project for Sunday dinner. I've never made it before, so it will be an experiment

Today's food (at least what I've eaten and planned so far):
    Breakfast: Broth from last nights soup, with a couple eggs poached in it-such a good, warming breakfast!
    Lunch: There's a company-wide taco lunch today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get by with taco filling and salsa
    Dinner: I hope to go to a knitting group tonight, and they usually do a potluck. I forgot all about it until I was on the way to work, so maybe I'll pick up some salad at Trader Joe's and tossing it up in a big bowl so I'll be able to eat something.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I just noticed that you knit. Are you a Ravelry member? That's where I first learned about the PB.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Yes! I love Ravelry, I'm Heylucy there, add me as a friend How did you find out about PB there?

VanessaM is offline Member
    Hey Lucy,
    glad to read that you are doing so well:-)
    I am still trotting on, I feel great and energized but I still have not lost a freaking pound. I am wondering when that is finally happening. I am eating around 200 calories a day, sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more. Well, I will wait for it.

I am also knitting, or at least I try to. I am a beginner and not very good, but it is fun. I mostly do scarfs at this point:-) But I also finished my first felt bag for my daughter. That is the new thing here in Germany. Knitting with felt wool. That is really fun and it does not matter if my work is still a little uneven...

The sushi picture looks so good. We only have a few horrible sushi all you can eat places in China Restaurants here in our little town and they are no good. For "real" sushi I have to drive for an hour. I really miss the States in (not only) that regard. You can always get amazing foot from all over the world.

By the way, I love San Diego, it is one of my favorite citys. When we lived in Portland we visited a few times and we really did not like LA, but San Diego we loved:-) I envy you for the beach, the sun....

Have a great day,
    Vanessa
    5'6" female, 37 yo

4/23/11: #250
    main goal right now is to loose weight and to have more energy

VanessaM is offline Member
    Ahm, 2000 calories, of cause:-)
    5'6" female, 37 yo

4/23/11: #250
    main goal right now is to loose weight and to have more energy

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    Yes! I love Ravelry, I'm Heylucy there, add me as a friend How did you find out about PB there?
    I just added you. I'm 'beedragon' on Rav. Someone mentioned eating primally in a weightloss thread so I had to google and find out what that meant.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by VanessaM View Post

I am also knitting, or at least I try to. I am a beginner and not very good, but it is fun. I mostly do scarfs at this point:-) But I also finished my first felt bag for my daughter. That is the new thing here in Germany. Knitting with felt wool. That is really fun and it does not matter if my work is still a little uneven
    Have you joined Ravelry yet? It's a huge knitting database & community, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of German knitters too. It's a great place to get help and find new projects. Felting is fun! I haven't done a lot, but I have some patterns for bags I want to make.

I do love that we have so many good sushi places here, and pretty much every kind of Asian food you could want-I have friends who are Vietnamese, Chinese, and Phillipino, so they tell me which places are the best. I totally agree, too, about L.A. vs. San Diego. I grew up north of L.A., and I do not like that city at all. We actually live in the mountains to the east of SD, so we're at a high altitude and get a little snow in the winter, but I work in the city just a couple miles from the beach. I feel so lucky to get the best of both. I haven't been to Portland, but everyone in my family have moved out of California and gone north & west (parents and sister in Boise, ID, brother in Spokane, another brother in Park City, UT, and another brother in Jackson Hole), I'm sure we'll end up in one of those places when my husband retires.

I wish I knew why the scale hasn't been moving for either of us, but I am determined to stick it out! I think my calories have been fluctuating between 1500-2000, which should definitely mean a loss. My husband has been regularly remarking that I look thinner, yesterday he said my face looked thinner (as I was bent over looking at something-prime double-chin display potential! ) So I'm sure that number is going to go down eventually. I just really think this is the only sustainable way for me to eat, I've tried "dieting" so many times, but it's just not possible to survive on dry salads and chicken breasts. I really can't believe how much eating this way has eliminated my sweet tooth. Seriously, I used to eat a lot of cookies! And now I don't even think about them. I even made pasta for my husband last night (he was begging for some last week, and we still had some in the cupboard), and could not have been less interested. I just had the sauce on some zucchini 'noodles', and was quite happy. He said he didn't feel so great after eating it, either. I don't think he's going to want any pasta or bread for awhile

How's your skin doing? You mentioned a breakout, and now that I think about it, I had a couple big pimples about 2 weeks in, but since then, my skin has been really clear, so maybe there is a little detox going on?

My only other negative right now is digestion (sorry! this is a little gross). I don't feel like for the amount going in, enough is coming out, if you know what I mean. And I'm not very regular, and sometimes I just have to sit and wait a little while for anything to happen. It's not like I'm severely constipated, it just seems like the pipes are taking awhile to adjust to the different nutrition they're getting. Maybe I'll try to eat some coconut oil today and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I just added you. I'm 'beedragon' on Rav. Someone mentioned eating primally in a weightloss thread so I had to google and find out what that meant.
    Thanks Belinda! I added you back. I've kept a craft/cooking/knitting/gardening blog for years, if you're interested
    Your daughters are so cute! Do they love the things you knit for them?

Oh hai, best breakfast ever:

Slow scrambled eggs (2 chicken, 1 duck), smoked salmon, thinly sliced tomatoes & red onions.

I've never been a big bagel fan, but once in a while I loved having one with the works, lox, cream cheese, tomatoes, onions, capers. This totally satisfies that craving.

Slow eggs are delicious: beat eggs with a dash of cream, sea salt and, in this case, capers. Melt butter in a sauce pan or deep skillet (I used ghee), over very low heat. Add eggs, and don't raise the heat. Stir occasionally, until done but still moist. They will have an almost custard-like texture. I added a little bit of cream cheese, just before they were done.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't do super great this weekend, I feel like I was in a state of inertia and ended up being really lazy about everything. I think I will blame the winds that kicked up. I hate the wind. Still, I did make some good food and even had some bone broth going almost the whole weekend in the Crockpot.

On Saturday, my husband, who has been a very good sport about all these changes, was begging for some pasta. So I made some gorgonzola carbonara with mushrooms and zucchini for him, and just used the sauce on top of zucchini ribbon 'noodles' for me. He felt guilty, and bloated afterward, I felt pretty good This is my dish:

On Sunday, I went with a traditional pot roast & mashed cauliflower and carrots. I will never get tired of this sort of meal:

Despite the pasta fiasco from the night before, my husband then decided that he was craving ice cream. In the interest of science, I decided to try some. Conclusion: the tiny bowl I had went a long way, and I had that sweet, sugary coating/after taste on my tongue for the rest of the night. It was pretty unpleasant. And that was the good stuff-Haagan-Daz chocolate peanut butter ice cream. He also brought home some other cheap single-serving thing that I had a bite of. It just tasted like chemicals to me. I don't think I'll be having any more ice cream for awhile.

Digestion is still feeling a little off, although I think all the fat from the meat last night loosened things up today.

I did also have half a sweet potato for breakfast on Saturday. I think adding that amount of carbs every few days is working well for me. The scale actually nudged down another half pound this morning. I know the scale is not my friend, and I really am not obsessed. Right now it's more motivating than anything, and I'm using it as a guide to figure out just how I should be eating. I think I'll gradually be weighing in less and less frequently.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast