Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Primal Journal :: LucyH page 12

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I fully expect to break into the 230s this week. What's weird is that I went clothes shopping this weekend, and I'm definitely down to a 16/XL in just about everything (from 18-20 when I started). Because I am tall, I feel like it takes quite a bit of weight to make a difference in size for me, so I was pleasantly surprised! I bought some pants that already seem a little on the big side after wearing them for one day (luckily, they were only $8). My goal has always been to get down to a size 14, but I think 12 might be doable. All I know is that I never want to shop at Lane Bryant or the "Womens" section of department stores ever again. I know it's superficial, but I've always like fashion, and I want to wear cute stuff, dammit! I have a skirt and sweater from Anthropologie hanging on my door, just waiting for me to fit in them!

I really, really want my belly gone ASAP, I'm tired of carrying that thing around.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Okay, I've been a little lazy the past week. Not terrible, just eating too much of more questionable foods, not enough really good foods, and not moving enough. Time for some goals!

This week: no ice cream, no yogurt, no cheese. More leafy greens, fewer processed meats (I have some chicken andouille sausage from Trader Joe's, not perfect, I think there's some sugar and 'natural flavors', but no seed oils) and no bottled/restaurant salad dressings or anything else that might have seed oils. I'm just going to focus on eating very, very clean.

I'm also going to focus on fitness for September (a sort of whole30 fitness, if you will). I'm going to follow PBF for the month, and record where I start and if I improve. I need to walk every day, and throw in a sprint or two every week as well.

I did pretty good with my clean eating week. There was a little Parmesan in the pesto I made, but I didn't have any other cheese or yogurt or ice cream. How about a picture of the pesto? I coated a chicken with it and roasted it:

The fitness challenge, not so much. I have been feeling like I'm coming down with something for a week, I feel achy and lethargic for a day, and then I start to feel better, and then bad again. Now there's a sore, scratchy throat, I'm losing my voice, and I have a cough, but I managed to stay at work for the whole day. I want my energy back! I want to get some exercise! I need to make some albondigas soup (for eating the rest of the week), and I have a nice piece of wild yellowtail just waiting to be cooked and I am too tired to do either. But I have to, the meat and fish are in the fridge and really need to be cooked in the next day or two. I don't want to waste them. whine whine whine

I managed to cook my fish, but the ground beef was too far gone, so I didn't get to the meatballs. That will be tonight's project. I picked up a bunch of beets on my way home last night, and they still had their greens attached. I roasted them, along with the fish and the beets themselves, which I used in a salad. Beet greens are my new favorite green, and they were perfect all roasted and a little crispy. I ate all of them and want more!

And the salad was beyond good too (it's just baby spinach, beets, a little slivered onion, and sheep's milk feta, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I think I need to roast some beets every week to have on hand for this.

I bought a belt today. I haven't worn a belt in years, because there was never much of a waist to put it around. I almost have a waist again! Plus, it really was a necessity, my pants are falling down, I needed something to hold them up!

I just need to vent for a minute.
    I went to the doctor today for the first time in well over a year. Weirdly, the nearest medical group covered by our insurance is a clinic on an Indian reservation.

First of all, most of the people that worked there were overweight, many of them significantly. This does not inspire a huge vote of confidence in me.

Secondly, the TV in the waiting area plays special medical programming, and is essentially one commercial after another for various pharmaceuticals. There was a segment about the calories in restaurant food, which, OMG! isn't necessarily accurately recorded in the nutrition information provided by the restaurants. Who would have thought that food prepared by different chefs in different locations would have a different number of calories?! The researchers breathlessly reported that many were off by 100 calories, oh noes! And this could lead to a weight-gain of 10-15 pound a year! It was just all the freaking out about calories, as if the whole thing really is just simple math. Here is an example of a trivia question they posed: What is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids? The choices were red meat, chicken, or spinach. My first thought is why isn't fish a choice? My second thought is that of those three I would choose red meat, grass-fed, of course. The correct answer? Spinach! So I looked it up: Omega 3 Fatty Acid Content - HIV Research of the Nutrition Infection Unit - Tufts Med
    Really? Spinach doesn't look like the most efficient way to get in your omega 3s.

Thirdly, all over the offices, hallways, waiting room, and even the restroom were posters and fliers with info about 1) domestic violence and 2) diabetes. What the heck is going on around the reservation? Sheesh. I was really feeling bad for the bulk of the patients that go to this clinic, if these are common problems.

Primal Victory (more or less):
    I was out of town this week, visiting family. I was a little worried, since I knew that I would be eating most of my meals out. While I ended up eating way too much sugar, and way too many potatoes, I used all the extra energy I had to walk and walk and walk, as often as possible. It turns out I didn't gain an ounce, and while the scale says I am exactly the same as when I left last week, my clothes are saying that I am smaller. I'm about to move to the next hole on that belt I bought a few weeks ago, and the pair of jeans I bought in the Junior's department a few weeks ago, that I couldn't actually get anywhere near buttoning, can now be buttoned. They're not quite wearable, but will be in a week or two. I'm so glad to be back home, though, so I can cook my own food again.

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    How are you doing Lucyh? Noticed a post of yours in another thread regarding your weight not budging. I just started Primal 3 weeks ago and I think I've lost a few pounds, but I'm disappointed I am not seeing more of a weight drop. I am sticking to the Blueprint pretty religiously and feel that more weight should be coming off. I've been stuck at around 225lbs for the past year! I'm hoping this Primal thing turns out to solve my weight problem!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

I've lost about 30 pounds since April, and I've found that it happens in spurts. I didn't weigh myself until a couple weeks in, and then weighed every day for the next two weeks and didn't see any change. That's how it seems to go for me, the scale won't move for a week or even two, and then I'll suddenly be down 4 pounds in a couple days. This past month has been pretty dismal, I had a bad cold and a lot of stress, so I've been bouncing around in the same 4 pound range for a little while. I find that I really need to have everything dialed in to lose. That means getting adequate sleep, not being stressed, and getting outside and moving around, along with eating well. On the other hand, I feel much better in general, so even without the speedy weight loss, this is a really good way for me to live.

How old are you? I am 44, and I think that after 40, it takes a little more focus to lose weight. I figure I've spent the last ten years or so being this fat, I have to be patient with myself when it comes to taking it off. I'm around 229 right now, and I really want to get below 200 asap! I'm traveling for the next couple weeks, so I can't worry too much about eating perfectly, but I shouldn't have much stress and I'll be busy and active every day and then I will be off work for the rest of December, so I'm looking forward to more time to cook really good food. I'm optimistic for the coming month! Check back and see if I'm still feeling so positive in January

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know what you mean. That is what happens with me I think...I'll have a great week or two of exercise and clean eating and won't notice any changes, then all of the sudden 3 weeks later I'll drop a few pounds within a day or so!

I'm 29, I've been at this weight for 4 years now. Before then I was very lean with a six pack (worked as a personal trainer and was very disciplined I guess) Somehow I put on about 80lbs in one year! Kicking myself for that. Now its been a struggle to get the weight to come off. I haven't been below 200 in about 3 years, and I also really want to hit that point!! I'm hoping to be a lean 160lbs by August when I move to Los Angeles for physical therapy school!! That is a huge motivator for me!

Gotcha, I've been finding a lot of good recipes around here!! I find the diet to be very easy, except I dont seem to be getting enough protein right now, will work on that!

Good luck!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112