Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal :: LucyH page 11

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you're still here and doing well! I've been eating ice cream and even had a couple of cobs of corn slathered in butter. Summer is so fleeting here I just had to do it

I haven't really cooked anything for ages either. DH does something with meat and I usually end up just having a chunk of whatever he's cooked with the same salad fixings that I used at lunch. It gets too hot here to do a lot of cooking in the summer.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Yes! I will have corn at some point too, with butter, salt, lime & hot sauce, which is one of the best treats of summer.

The crock pot is my friend right now, just stick a big piece of meat in and eat it all week
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

I've been cooking again! I got some really nice pieces of yellowtail from some co-workers who went on a three-day fishing trip. Yellowtail is my favorite sushi, so I decided to keep it really simple, and just sear the fish, which I had coated with olive oil and fresh herbs. I also made an agrodolce relish (tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic, all sauteÚd in olive oil and finished with a spoonful of red wine vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar) and an arugula salad, and some coconut basmati rice. It was definitely one of my favorite meals recently, and it was really pretty, too

I'm finding that up-ing my carbs a little bit really helps with my energy levels, so a half a cup of rice, or a little sweet potato a few times a week is now a regular part of my diet. I am also going crazy with all the summer fruit still, and having a serving or two nearly every day. Still, I'm usually not over 100 carbs, and this seems to be my sweet spot for slow-but-steady weight loss and lots of energy.

Still here, still primal
    After nearly 4 months I feel like my body is really healing and feeling good. I sleep well most of the time and have energy to keep going all day. It's getting hard to sit at my desk all day for work! I've got my Vibrams with me every day, so I squeeze in a lunch hour walk whenever I can. I was at my lowest weight so far this morning (I'd estimate that I'm down around 18 pounds-I didn't weigh myself when I started), and I seem to be letting go of the extra pounds a little easier all the time. It doesn't hurt that people are starting to notice the weight loss

More and more I have no desire for the old foods I used to love. I went to the movies this past weekend and indulged in some popcorn (and just enjoyed it without the usual guilt I would have felt), but that was really the only thing I've had in weeks that I would consider "unhealthy". I spent the rest of the day running errands. By 4:30 pm I realized that I really should eat some real food, and being far from home and far from finished with my errands, I would have to eat out. Nothing was appealing, so I eventually settled on a bunless burger just to keep me going until I could get home and make something good. Before I would have used that as an excuse to "treat" myself to all kinds of terrible foods, including something decadent for dessert.

The next day was a trip to see my mother-in-law, which includes a three-hour drive each way, and is such a stressful event that we usually fill up on junk food while on the road, take her out to eat, and then stop for sodas & treats on the way home. This time I packed some good food for the drive up and did the best I could with lunch at Panda Express (steamed vegetables, chicken & green beans, things without breading and sweet sauces). For once my busy weekend didn't result in any weight gain or intestinal discomfort. I really can't imagine ever going back to that old way of eating.

I haven't tracked my food for awhile now, so I'm just guessing, but I probably average about 75-100g carbs, 80g fat, 70-80g protein. I have also been finding that it helps me a lot to mix things up. Some days I'll eat three big meals, with plenty of carbs (not from grains, of course, but fruit and maybe rice or sweet potatoes), and other days I'll only eat one big meal and some snacks. The other day I had a dinner that was nothing more than the freshest, most delicious plate of vegetables (including corn on the cob) from a local organic market, just steamed and then eaten with butter and salt. Surf and turf Sundays have become a tradition in our house lately too, I grill a steak and then cook some sort of seafood (garlic shrimp, lobster tails, crab cakes). I seems to help to keep my body guessing, and I also feel like I can listen to my cravings as signals for the nutrients my body wants more of.

To anyone that might be discouraged: if you're not shedding pounds, if you're suffering through the worst carb flu known to man, I would say just keep at it! It gets easier, the carb flu passes (it took me a few weeks to get through it!), you will feel better, and even if the weight loss is slow, who cares? It probably took awhile to get good and fat (at least it took me awhile), so be patient if it doesn't come off all at once, play around with your diet and ratios of fat/protein/carbs to find what works for you.

I don't know if anyone is bothering to read this, I post so infrequently these days, but frankly, I have way too much energy to spend any more time in front of the computer than I have to

Uh oh, I bought a coconut cream pie Larabar for the first time this week. Luckily, it's so sweet and decadent that a third of a bar a day is all I want to eat. It's a nice little treat!

A perfect summer lunch:

Melon wrapped with prosciutto, heirloom tomato/mozzarella/basil salad, drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over everything and grind a little pepper on top.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    God, your food is gorgeous
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    God, your food is gorgeous
    Thanks! It's all this summer produce, I don't do much to it at all, it's just so pretty! and delicious!

Got home late last night, was hungry and tired and didn't want a big meal, so this is what I made:

A small, Persian cucumber, coarsely chopped
    A couple Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    A clove of garlic, crushed
    A dash of each of the following: cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, parsley, and ancho chili pepper
    A glug of olive oil

I blended it all together and then topped it with a small, chopped avocado, a drizzle of olive oil, and a little ground pepper. Perfect! The only thing I would do differently next time is to keep some of the cucumber and tomato seperate, chopped them finely and stir them in at the end for a little more texture. Bell peppers (any color), radishes and celery would probably be nice additions if you like them.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Salmon in parchment for dinner tonight, one of my favorite things:

This is an old, favorite Martha Stewart recipe that I've been making forever. The only non-primal ingredient is the potato (thin slices form the base). I used a lot less potato than I normally would, and even then only ended up eating about half of it. It used to be my favorite part, but it just didn't taste good to me tonight.

Some things I've been noticing lately that are awesome:
    • Instead of the afternoon slump I used to get, where I had to fight to keep my eyes open while sitting at my desk, I find that I just have to keep getting up to move around. This, even after going for a walk on my lunch hour (or maybe because of that walk?)

• My hair is so, so nice. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. I've been letting it grow and it's got such nice body. I can even curl it and it stays curled (there is a certain amount of product involved, but it's never held this well before).

• My whole life I've had the loudest cracking ankles when I walk, the sound drives my husband batty sometimes. I was walking around this evening and realized they were barely cracking at all. How is that even possible?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast