Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have takedowns of these studies, this clown? page

troydufrene is offline Junior Member

Anyone have takedowns of these studies, this clown?

Primal Fuel
    From today's Huffington post:
    Tim Harlan, M.D.: Low-Carb Diets Linked With Type 2 Diabetes

Of the various CWers who regularly post at Huffington, this is not one I've noticed before. No big surprise there, though.

Does anyone know the studies he mentions? I don't have the time to look at the moment. I suspect they're full of confounders, but no reason to read them if they've already been debunked.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Total junk science. Just read his first paragraph about the 'fad' of low carb diets, and all his prejudices are there to observe. Note that the 'study' he relies on used people's self-reporting of what they ate--and according to Dr. Eades, such self-reporting is useless in terms of research.

Moreover, when they found the men who developed type 2, all they noted was consumption of red meat and saturated fat--there was NO reference to low carb for these men. In addition, they were obese, which has also be associated with the development of type2.

Two things to consider. The best expert on diet an diabetes is Dr. Richard Bernstein, and he recommends low carb--based on real research!

All my siblings have type 2, and my endo credits my low carb WOE (for the past 7 years) as a major factor in my NOT developing diabetes.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Really need to see the detail of their classifications of the diets. High protein and fat can mean many things. If there was excessive protein and only moderate fat then their finding is unsurprising. PB is high fat and moderate protein. As the paper doesn't make this distinction, it findings can't be applied to PB
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I just posted about this on the CW thread. Go back and read through the comments, they are hilarious. Nearly every commenter is loudly objecting. Second, click through to his page - he's selling diet books! And his attitude in the article is so smugly stupid. "Why eliminate whole food groups?" Like we've never heard that one before. Um, because they're killing us? Just sayin'

HuffPo used to be great for health news. It directly brought me here. Dr. Hyman's articles got me off gluten and started me on Vit D. Then they took a lot of flak for publishing "alternative" advice, and added an advisory board that includes Dean Ornish. Now there is no relevant information there, it's all rehashed CW. Really sad, but what do you want for $315M?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    "Why eliminate whole food groups?" Like we've never heard that one before. Um, because they're killing us? Just sayin'
    More like, "Because they're not food?" Duh. And I totally agree with you on this.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Griff, you have to read it. Excerpt:

I can't imagine why anyone would follow a diet -- any diet -- that takes entire food groups away from you. There's no reason to give up great foods like pasta, potatoes, beans and corn to lose weight or to be healthier. Giving up these foods is one of the main reasons that the Atkins diet is not a diet that can be sustained for the long term. Further, such diets seldom prepare people for eating real food: when they go off the diet they usually gain the weight back, and then some.

There's been concern for years about the long term health risks of such diets. We've seen that those eating higher protein diets that are also high in saturated fat were more likely to develop heart disease than those whose higher protein diet came from vegetable protein sources. Interestingly, those women eating a strict low-carbohydrate diet weighed more than those eating a more normal diet.(1) Their Body Mass Index was higher in all categories. We also know that extremely-low-carbohydrate diets also seem to affect one's cognitive abilities.(2)

Apparently my scale is wrong, or I can't read it correctly due to my diminished cognitive abiities!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I tried to read it, but it made my eyes bleed. Maybe that's because I'm not eating my healthywholegrains?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Usually if I hear about a "low-carb" study, even a positive one I scoff and pay it no more heed. Diet studies always equivocate between many different formats of each meta-category. Atkins or Paleo Solution? You will get massively different advice on each.

Diet studies fail, period. What doesn't? Empirical evidence. Hazard ratios in populations is inductive reasoning and fallacious.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Like when did bread become a food group, in terms of a percentage of the time humans have been on Earth?

Isn't it like the last .01% of human history?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post

Diet studies fail, period....
    Exactly right.

Just about every study reeks of false examples, faulty reasoning, incorrect conclusion, and just plain bullshit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast