Thread: Hemoglobin A1C lowered! page

OptionJedi is offline Member

Hemoglobin A1C lowered!

On Jan 10, 2011, my doctor told me that my HA1C was at 8% and was above the acceptable range. I was on the path to being diabetic. This is on top of the high blood pressure (typically 140-150/95-100) not being controlled by a cocktail of 4 different meds. At this point, my doctor added a 5th med, Metformin, for blood sugar control. She prescribed diabetic nutrition counseling.

I happened upon PB and liked what I heard as it sounded sustainable to me. I officially started middle of Feb (starting reading beginning of Feb.)

Took my latest blood test on April 7 and reviewed today with the doc. My HA1C was 6.3%!!! She was more excited than I was as she said she rarely sees this fast and dramatic a reversal. In fact, she rarely sees reversal these days. Still on the high side, but clearly in the right direction. Also, blood pressure has been 120-130/80-85 for the last 6 weeks!!! Primal works.

She's being cautious and wanting to wait another 3 months to take another blood test before taking meds off given how extreme the blood pressure was and that the HA1C is not in the middle or low end of normal range yet.

While there have been other more cosmetic changes in weight and clothing, the hard numbers measuring my health have improved dramatically and that was what I turned to Primal to help with. The lifestyle has been relatively easy (love the eating approach, still don't love the exercise except for the Move Frequently at a Slow Pace part). I think the eating will for sure be sustainable, which is 80% of the battle anyway right?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations! Awesome results. You may want to consider supplementing magnesium for continued improvement in blood glucose. Magnesium citrate is very inexpensive, but if you can't tolerate it, you can try another form such as a chelate. See this excellent info from our resident supplement expert cillakat.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is great! Congratulations! I second the magnesium citrate supplementation, it lowered my HbA1C pretty substantially.

OptionJedi is offline Member
    Thanks for the kind words and recommendations. What is the amount of magnesium citrate that you take on a daily basis?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I take 325 mg right now, but some people take up to ~600mg. You might want to ease into it and gradually increase dosage. Definitely check out the thread that yodiewan posted.

Lmans77 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fantastic!!