Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will these bootcamp workouts hinder my fat loss (is it 'chronic cardio'?) page

Will these bootcamp workouts hinder my fat loss (is it 'chronic cardio'?)

Shop Now
    Hi!

So I've been doing Crossfit for a while but can't get there often enough, so I joined a local bootcamp that I can get to twice a week. I'm doing Crossfit once a week right now.

The bootcamp is a more 'typical' workout - lots of cardio - last week we did obstacle courses and it was over 20 minutes of very intense cardio and then about 20 minutes of body weight exercises. At crossfit I'm never doing more than about 3-5 minutes of cardio at a time without some sort of break and the workouts are never longer than about 20 minutes. The bootcamp is 60 minutes, of which we spend about 45 minutes moving hard and fast.

My goal is fat loss and toning (and, of course, strength). But in the short term the goal is to get 20 more pounds off of me quickly. I've been eating Primal for 4+ months and have had success but hit a plateau several weeks ago and am desperate to overcome the plateau...which is why I signed up for bootcamp.

Thanks!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd do it.

I think people on this forum are overly concerned about "chronic cardio." 45 total minutes of running among obstacles, followed by some bodyweight work, is a beautiful thing. Would I do it 4x weekly for the rest of my life? No. But I'd do it 2x weekly, or daily for a week straight 4x times a year.

Chronic cardio is pounding out 30 miles on the bicycle on weekdays, plus another 150 on weekends, as a matter of course.
    Chronic cardio is running 5-20 miles 4 days a week for months at a time.
    Chronic cardio is even just wasting a hour on the elliptical every morning, when you could be doing something useful like sprinting and lifting weights.
    Chronic cardio is a lot more cardio than people here think it is.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I would do it too. It sounds like fun.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I'd do it too. Obstacle course wooooo! The bootcamp at my gym was awesome, sprints & hill sprints, balance/agility work, strength, and cool random things thrown in (boxing, etc). Every class was different, and I learned a lot. Twice a week isn't bad, as long as you feel good and are not overtraining. Agree with BarbeyGirl on the definition of chronic cardio. Have fun!!!

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I would do it. Sounds a lot better than the average bootcamp class too.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I'd do it.

I think people on this forum are overly concerned about "chronic cardio." 45 total minutes of running among obstacles, followed by some bodyweight work, is a beautiful thing. Would I do it 4x weekly for the rest of my life? No. But I'd do it 2x weekly, or daily for a week straight 4x times a year.

Chronic cardio is pounding out 30 miles on the bicycle on weekdays, plus another 150 on weekends, as a matter of course.
    Chronic cardio is even just wasting a hour on the elliptical every morning, when you could be doing something useful like sprinting and lifting weights.
    +1
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    If I remember correctly, Mr. Sissons defines chronic cardio as aerobic exercise that raises your heart rate to 80% of max or above for a long time and keeps it in about the same range and that is done frequently (several times a week). It sounds like there would be a lot of variety in your routine and that your heart-rate would therefore vary considerably. But I don't know. On the other hand, you are primarily concerned with fat loss, and it does not sound like what you describe is likely to yield fat loss. My own experience and what I have read indicates that plateaus are perfectly normal events in any aspect of life, be it learning to play the drums, memorizing poetry, or getting fit. Why not just accept the plateau for a while, stop being desperate, and wait for the next stage to kick in by itself? It has worked so far. It will probably start working again. If you are particularly concerned about now (summer draweth nigh), however, you could reduce total calories. PB has not repealed the laws of thermodynamics.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I'd do it.

^
    Yes, yes, and yes.

I think some people here use the chronic cardio excuse as a reason not to exercise.

I would do it. In fact, I am planning on it (probably starting in July, 3x week). Adventure Bootcamp for Women -- all outside fun.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    ^

I think some people here use the chronic cardio excuse as a reason not to exercise.
    I, unfortunately, would have to agree.
    I built a tread desk (treadmill at a standing desk) and started a discussion on it and a few people proclaimed it to be chronic cardio. WTF? How big of a slackass do you have to be to think that walking an extra 2 - 7 miles per day is "cardio"

To the OP, look at my signature. Not ONE of the responses on this thread falls into that category. We have some kickass peeps on here, IMHO.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    ^
    Yes, yes, and yes.

I would do it. In fact, I am planning on it (probably starting in July, 3x week). Adventure Bootcamp for Women -- all outside fun.
    Agree as well. Sounds no different than doing P90x. Sounds like you have variety and high intesity, which is good for you and necessary to shed pounds, along with a reduction of kcal.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast