Thread: I Don't Care What Grok Would Have Done! page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Exclamation I Don't Care What Grok Would Have Done!

Primal Fuel
    I Don't Care What Grok Would Have Done!

And the general question is dumb and beside the goddamn point!
    1) We don't know much about what Grok would have done but we do know that -
    2) His/her choices were NOT based around optimal nutrition, but of avoiding starvation and violent death
    3) What Grok HAD to do is MORE LIKELY to be consistent with scientific findings about nutrition and health that -
    4) We can learn about! By reading research! It's basically science-based, people, not clan-of-the-cave-bear based. It's getting embarrassing to call oneself Paleo.

To anyone: feel free to re-post every time someone writes, "I'm sure Grok never worried about 6/3 ratios" -
    The reason Grok didn't worry about it was because SOYBEAN OIL DID NOT EXIST AND ALL FISH WAS WILD FISH at that time!!!!!
    AArgh.

Rant over. Back to your business.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    +1

I just had a tear-out-my-hair moment on the nutrition forum on this exact topic. On a different subject, I hope you had a nice hiatus. This board can't afford to lose any sensible people.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The proper use of the evolutionary axiom is stated:

1. Things that we had not seen in large quantities during the bulk of our evolution might be things that we are not adapted too. But we have to actually go and check.

2. Things that were abundant in the environment of evolutionary adaptation are things that we might need to keep eating because we might have lost the genes to make their constituents in optimal amounts endogenously.

And really no more than that. It's a hypothesis generator, not a trump card. Trying to get a macronutrient ratio or a fitness program is a bit of a leap.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The reason Grok didn't worry about it was because SOYBEAN OIL DID NOT EXIST AND ALL FISH WAS WILD FISH at that time!!!!!
    This x 987123408971234897123409871234908712349871234
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I Don't Care What Grok Would Have Done!

And the general question is dumb and beside the goddamn point!
    1) We don't know much about what Grok would have done but we do know that -
    2) His/her choices were NOT based around optimal nutrition, but of avoiding starvation and violent death
    3) What Grok HAD to do is MORE LIKELY to be consistent with scientific findings about nutrition and health that -
    4) We can learn about! By reading research! It's basically science-based, people, not clan-of-the-cave-bear based. It's getting embarrassing to call oneself Paleo.

To anyone: feel free to re-post every time someone writes, "I'm sure Grok never worried about 6/3 ratios" -
    AArgh.

Rant over. Back to your business.
    Grok would NEVER have written a post like this.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    It's a hypothesis generator, not a trump card.
    Good summary (the full post above) and I agree. While "Grok" can be a handy analogy, especially for newbies, and is certainly handy for Mark Sisson on the marketing front... it shouldn't be the basis of every conclusion we draw.

Like Stabby says, it may help us come up with a hypothesis. But our eventual conclusions should be based on research and experience, in that order. See also Kurt Harris's still-excellent n=1 post here: Archevore - Archevore Blog - N =*1?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you for the most part, but I think at some point a lot of people need to see that 'this is something that we simply did not eat for millions of years (and there are adaptations/non-adaptations) and that's why it causes so much havoc to our bodies' in order to really 'grok' it, heh. And diets are diets, with their own rules, at some point you have to admit that 'this is not paleo according to the principles of this diet as laid out by the author but that is.' (although that's not the same as using Grok to make the point) I think that's why the more flexible Primal approach appeals to a lot of people, although it may confuse others.

My personal (least) favorite is 'but grok didn't take supplements, i can get enough of x, y, or z just from the air i breathe'
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-25-2011 at 01:40 PM.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Grok would NEVER have written a post like this.
    Grok wouldn't have had high speed

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Grok wouldn't be able to read..... i hope.......

+1 LOL. Good/funny thread.