Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy fruits - Fructose content edition page

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member

Post Healthy fruits - Fructose content edition

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have just posted an analysis on the fructose content of various fruits on my blog

Healthy fruits Fructose content edition | Thor Falk

For those who have not read the Blueprint: fructose can only be metabolised in the liver (and can damage it in the long run) so everything else being equal, a lower fructose content (both absolute and relative to glucose and other carbs) is better than a higher one.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Neat. Good for reference if I need that.

Although how are figs 121% fructose?

I dunno what it is about fructose but it just doesn't jive with me in large quantities. I don't really gain weight but I never quite feel right with more fructose. Perhaps fructose metabolism problems seeing as I'm a glow-in-the-dark whitey. Tubers are definitely the better carb source for me.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Nice idea! :-)

Well, it won't prevent me from having some dates/prunes wrapped with bacon (traditional tapas). ;-)

Fructose sounds pretty scary, at least in large quantities. I guess the issue is that the response of the liver is not "linear" - in small quantities (a la Grok) it is no problem at all, but from a certain point onward it is just bad...

As for the 122% - the problem is that the fructose content and the carb content is from different sources, and they might well have looked at slightly different sub-species / crops / whatever. If the fruit used to measure the fructose content contained more (or less) carbs than the one used for the carb content then the ratio will be slightly off...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    Nice idea! :-)

Well, it won't prevent me from having some dates/prunes wrapped with bacon (traditional tapas). ;-)
    In the contrary: you see that especially prunes have a very low fructose percentage, so most of it is glucose. The impact of this (ie the glycemic index / load) will be blunted by (a) proteins in the food, (b) fats in the food, and (c) the amount you add. In particularly prunes seem like a good choice under this measure

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Neat. Good for reference if I need that.

Although how are figs 121% fructose?

I dunno what it is about fructose but it just doesn't jive with me in large quantities. I don't really gain weight but I never quite feel right with more fructose. Perhaps fructose metabolism problems seeing as I'm a glow-in-the-dark whitey. Tubers are definitely the better carb source for me.
    Fruit should assume the role of dessert in a primal diet - and if you compare even a bowl of fruit (salad) to a big slice of any type of pie, you're eating *much* less fructose. In any case fruit should not be eaten in quantities that make it a substantial source of carbs.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Cool. Very helpful. Thanks!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Thor Falk. I have a list that is a lot smaller than that one, so this will be the new defacto for me when I need to figure out what I want to eat.
    Glad to see that persimmons aren't as bad as I thought. I just found those suckers when I started PB and I could eat one a day if they weren't so damned expensive.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Thanks Thor Falk. I have a list that is a lot smaller than that one, so this will be the new defacto for me when I need to figure out what I want to eat.
    Glad to see that persimmons aren't as bad as I thought. I just found those suckers when I started PB and I could eat one a day if they weren't so damned expensive.
    did you compare notes whether those lists agree? nutrition information is pretty bad generally in my experience

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing.
    What about Glycemic index, I thought fruits like pineapple, banana and orange rank somewhat higher on that, than do some of the fruits lower on this list (like apples, pears and berries)?
    How should we incorporate both of these lists?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast