Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal fitness for injured? page

Primal fitness for injured?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Can someone help me with a routine along the lines of PBF? I am currently on crutches and have been on them for past three months because I had extreme knee surgery. I talked to my physical therapist and he said I can't squat yet because I only have 25% weight bearing still. I am capable of doing pullups, pushups, overhead and planks without putting more than that weight. I've been doing those twice a week for about 2 months but I'm not really getting any results. Since I can't walk yet sprinting is out of the question, would tabata sprints on the bike be sufficient enough? If so how many reps. I'm trying to get as fit as I can while I'm still unable to walk. I do have a pullup bar, kettle bell, bench press, and a recumbent bike. I also go to the Physical Therapy twice a week so I am working out my legs just not to the fullest. Am I being stupid trying to workout still or should I just wait until I'm fully healed?

BugMan is offline Member
    Dealling with the exact same issue. I have just started full weight bearing this last week and that may have been premature, but I was tired of walking with one crutch. Adivice given to me in another thread was cycle sprints, water sprints in pool, rowing, eliptical as you get to the point when you can put weight on your leg and kettle bell swings. I may never be able to do real sprints again, but it is a goal I would like to acheive.
    Last edited by BugMan; 04-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

Yeah walking with crutches really do suck. I'm actually calling my doctor today to see if I can put more weight on my leg. Also he recommended pool exercises but my pool is opened yet because it's been pretty cold here.

BugMan is offline Member
    I am looking forward to the pool opening as well. We have a few more weeks. Until then I just keep going to the gym and physical therapy. The thread I posted had some great replies. The video and link to Super Slow Training are pretty good. I tried doing leg press exercises super slow and I felt I was getting a whole lot more out of it.
    Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I had my left ACL reconstructed about seven weeks ago. Thankfully I was off the crutches in two weeks but I sympathize, they are a bitch! Obviously I don't know what your injury is but I'm surprised that you're considering tabata sprints on a bike - the muscles and tendons around my knee got so tight and weak both before and after the surgery that it took me a week to be able to pedal a full turn on the bike.

To be honest, rather than sprinting, I would recommend focusing on building up strength in your legs as the muscles just waste away after a knee surgery. Once I went off the crutches I had difficulty standing for longer than a few minutes because my quad was too weak. You say you go to physiotherapy twice a week - did they not give you exercises to do by yourself at home? I had a full set of moves that I had to do at home at least once a day. Can you get your leg fully straight and fully bent? Focus on those.

For the rest do your pull ups, push ups, planks etc. If they are feeling too easy maybe try them with weights (wear a backpack with a few heavy books in it for example). Try some pilates or pool work. Good luck

Thanks Bugman and Ajax!

I know what you mean about the tightness but that went away after about a month. Physical therapy has helped me gain I would say 40% of my muscle back. I could fully extend my knee but I can only bend it to around 135 degrees. My doctor said the reason I'm crutches for so long is because this was probably the most severe surgery he has ever had done, especially on a 16 yr old. By the way my story is on Mark's post, I'm the one who asked about cartilage regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by krzyskillz67 View Post
    By the way my story is on Mark's post, I'm the one who asked about cartilage regeneration.
    Oh wow, I read that. Given the severity of the injury I think you should definitely not stress over getting into shape/sprinting until you're much better. The lack of full bend in the knee will haunt you if you try to do tabatas on a bike. From my experience proper rehabilitation is so important. You're going to really regret it if you don't take the time to rebuild your muscles and regain full range of motion quickly. I'd stick with the core and upper body exercises, do some light biking and take it easy on the sprints, you can always do them in the pool once your pool opens

If you find any further information about cartilege regeneration, I'd love to hear it by the way. The cartilege behind my kneecap apparently split nearly in two when I tore my ACL and the doctor says that can't be fixed :-(

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I just had my right ACL replaced via a patella graft and also had meniscal repair. I am 2 months out and while I can't do anything involving legs yet, I have been training hard with body weight exercises and strength band routines.

I am on the verge of blowing my brains out from not doing crossfit or bjj (CAUSE I'M FUCKING BORED OH MY GOD) but I have been able to do pretty well focusing with the bands and bodyweight.

Give the bands a try, you might be surprised.

edit:
    Here is an example of what I did today:

5 rounds for time:
    15 Knees to Elbows
    15 Jesus Situps (hold a bar in a backsquat position while doing situps)
    15 Resistance band sumo deadlift highpulls

Cashout: 40 Boat Position movements (some yoga thingamajigg)

This rocked me pretty hard, it gets rough at the end.
    Last edited by Rivvin; 04-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.

@Rivvin, not to hijack the thread, but why did you opt for the patella graft?

@krzyskillz67, I just reread your story on Mark's blog post and you say the doctor tore your ACL to get at the cartilege... I'm assuming they reconstructed it??

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    @Rivvin, not to hijack the thread, but why did you opt for the patella graft?

@krzyskillz67, I just reread your story on Mark's blog post and you say the doctor tore your ACL to get at the cartilege... I'm assuming they reconstructed it??
    Supposedly the patella graft is stronger when all is said and done and that there is less risk of re-injury when using the patella instead of the hamstring.

Because I practice jiu jitsu it made more sense to go with the patella graft for the stronger recovery, but it does tend to be a little bit slower and more painful than the hamstring recovery. That's what I was told and have read... whether that's true or not I can't say since I've never actually had a hammy replacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast