Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 days into PB and I have not lost a single pound, what is wrong with me? page 3

VanessaM is offline Member
    Shop Now
    @geekgrrl
    Let me assure you that I am no troll at all. And thank you so much for this remark. Like I said before, I am not at 250 lbs for nothing. Now all I want to do us hide under a rock. So much for that.
    The reason I am starting with PB is that I finally admitted to myself that my eating habits and my weight is out of control and that I need to do something about it. Of course this was not news to me, but admitting to it and being able to act on it, is a big step for me. After reading so many success story on MDA I was simply excited to see a lbs or two come of fast. I can only guess that you have no weight issues and I can somehow understand that you are believing that I am a troll. But if you speak to any seriously obese person he will probably agree with the amounts of food that I am consuming right now.

Anyhow. Today is much better. I had a big breakfast and no lunch, I was not hungry. It is now 4pm here and I am still fine. Looking forward to dinner, though. Still have not lost weight, but I woke up with a lot of energy that I put to use cleaning my house. So thats all good.

@TheDarkMistress, thanks for your reply. You are right and I will from now on only weight myself once a week and focus on the changes that I can actually feel.

@lucyh, I would love to stay on touch, how does that work, do I use this thread for that?

Vanessa

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Hi Vanessa,

I didn't expect that you were a troll, but I too was thrown by the portion sizes that you were eating, and that you would expect the weight to drop off in only 4 days. I'm glad to see that things are beginning to balance out for you and wish you luck on this journey. It will happen. Like they say, patience is a virtue

If you're still having issues with not having dropped any weight in say a week or so, repost. You might get a few nasty responses, but I'm sure you'll get many more helpful ones. Most people here just want to help.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I added you as a friend Vanessa

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    I am sure you are not a troll but let me tell you that your portions look incredibly huge to me, and I am a woman of about the same weight (well, I was - I've already lost quite a few pounds since 1 April) and height. I don't think I have deserved my obesity because my eating habits have never been really bad compared to the average-sized people around me. Just so you know that your portions are not necessarily typical of an obese person.

Do you happen to know how many calories you consumed before going PB? If you were overeating, maybe your stomach needs time to contract a bit? I switched from eating 5-6 times a day to 2-3 times, and I do not feel hungry. This is what people here in the forums generally recommend. But you might benefit from eating small portions more frequently at the beginning so that you do not feel hungry and do not have to think about food all the time. And maybe try using more animal fat instead of olive oil. It is really different - it keeps you satiated for a long time. Also, drink a lot.

By the way, is your lifestyle sedentary? When writing the above, I assumed it was.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Farfalla; 04-26-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I think the portions look good, eating "too many vegetables" is moot since they hardly contain any calories, and its not her fault several women here are undereating. Right now I think reducing inflammation and reversing metabolic derangement is far more important than cutting calories. Drastically reducing calories below satiety will just lead to bingeing and giving up the primal way of eating. My advice would be to just keep it up, and if the calories are a bit too high then there is a good chance that your hunger will begin to regulate your food intake after a few weeks at the same time as your stomach shrinks to adapt to the lower volume of food (given you aren't overeating for emotional reasons).

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    I can't help thinking this is a troll. An entire zucchini, bell pepper, onion PLUS leek and mushrooms PLUS two eggs PLUS ham for breakfast ... lunch not too bad... then a HUGE steak for dinner... how huge given your definition of an acceptable sized breakfast I wonder....

If you're not a troll, please don't think me rude, but you seriously need to get those portions down. PLUS... it's day four. Four days. Seriously. You expect to reverse a lifetime of eating rubbish in four days?
    WOW. Really? This is what you find trollish?

Yea I could eat that much in a sitting piece of cake. If you read some of the blogs on here it makes it sound like you SHOULD be eating enormous meals.

To the OP - Give it time. If you, like me, came in with a voracious appetite it will probably take a few weeks for the appetite to decrease in response to the change in diet. Just roll with it. While you are in transition I would NOT try to eat less if you are hungry. Just make sure you are eating until you are satisfied and then stopping. Dont be stuffed.

Once your body starts to settle down your appetite should shrink.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

IamAwesome is offline Junior Member

Weight Loss and Me

Last July I too realized that my weight had gotten out of control. I'm 6 foot and weighed 265 pounds. My heaviest in my life (I'm 46 yo). I started by eating less, cutting out most of the carbs and eating about half of what I wass eating. This took me down to about 230 pounds.

About two months ago I started going Primal, and I reached 220, but currently bounced to 224. Yeah. I call myself a scale nazi because daily I weigh myself to see if I have lost another pound or not. I know its not the best thing to do but I need to see that I'm going in the right direction.

If your feeling better and less tired then believe me its working. Your body is probably trying to hold on to the weight because it notices a difference in what your feeding it. Your body is an amazing machine that knows how to protect itself. You will be suprised when one day you weigh your self and you lost 5 pounds.

Keep up the hard work... there is plenty of good things to look forward to.

Phil

DSR84 is offline Member
    Something else to consider is your exercise pattern. If you're just starting to exercise for the first time in years or possibly in your entire life, you probably don't have as much lean body mass as you should. Once you get a little more capable in that area, you'll probably start seeing more satisfactory gains, if not on the scale, then definitely in the mirror. In the past couple of months I've gained five pounds, but look better than in the two months preceding that where I cut ten pounds. Even then, this is slow and steady, and I have a ways to go before I'm ready to send Mark some semi nude photos of myself, but the most important part is that I feel great, focused, and in control of my own fitness and nutrition. Compared to that, looking better naked is a bonus.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessaM View Post
    @geekgrrl
    Anyhow. Today is much better. I had a big breakfast and no lunch, I was not hungry. It is now 4pm here and I am still fine. Looking forward to dinner, though. Still have not lost weight, but I woke up with a lot of energy that I put to use cleaning my house. So thats all good.
    After reading this line, I think you might be on your way! It sounds like your body is starting to get the hang of regulating itself. This is great news!! Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I think the portions look good, eating "too many vegetables" is moot since they hardly contain any calories, and its not her fault several women here are undereating. Right now I think reducing inflammation and reversing metabolic derangement is far more important than cutting calories. Drastically reducing calories below satiety will just lead to bingeing and giving up the primal way of eating. My advice would be to just keep it up, and if the calories are a bit too high then there is a good chance that your hunger will begin to regulate your food intake after a few weeks at the same time as your stomach shrinks to adapt to the lower volume of food (given you aren't overeating for emotional reasons).
    I agree with Pandadude's entire post, especially the bits I've bolded (emboldened?).

I was never obese, but I had a host of self-inflicted metabolic derangements all my own. After a week or so of Primal, I felt a switch flip - all of a sudden it was like my body was metabolizing food properly for the first time in my life. I think you're nearer to that moment than you realize!

Patience, girl. You're on the right track!

VanessaM is offline Member
    Ok Guys,
    thank you so much for the help. I am feeling pretty crappy right now and more determined to do this thing! I guess I really never realized that my eating was so out of control.
    I am a pretty active mom and I used to be a competitive swimmer in my teens:-) Physical activity has never been a problem, despite the weight. I find myself doing less moving and I need to change that. Fortunately I own a dog, so I have to move:-)

@Farfalla, what do you use as animal fat? Bacon grease? As for the calories before PB, I can only imagine they must have been horrible, really horrible. If I did 2500 on my first day PB and thought I had eaten way less, take a guess. By the way, what should my calorie intake be?

@Pandadude, thanks for the post. You are right about not going way down on the calories right away, otherwise I will be hungry all the time. I will reduce the portions though.

@runnergal, thank you so much, this helps. I can not wait to see where this journey will led me:-)

@DSR84, I will start exercising, I am just trying to digest all the new information and I am not done reading the book yet. I really just jumped in and cut the grains and sugar and dairy:-) I also ordered the cook book and hopefully this will help too.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast