Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on coconut oil page

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member

Giving up on coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    I love the taste of coconut oil, but I think I'm going to have to give up on it: it seems to make my rosacea so much worse! I've been using it since late January, and initially it caused a huge outbreak of tiny bumps around my rosacea places. My rosacea had been better for about a year, so this was puzzling. I cut back on the coconut oil, and my rosacea got better. Then I gradually worked back up to 4 teaspoons a day, at which point my rosacea got worse again!

Three months seems like a long time to wait for the so-called "die off" caused by coconut oil to stop. I give up. Maybe Northern Europeans are just not adapted to this food, which is not traditionally part of our diet.

stielow is offline Member
    Try coconut milk instead.
    Started 3/10/2010 263.2 lbs

04/24/2010 227.00 lbs

Didn't know eating healthy could make me so sick, you dont realize how sick you are until you feel better. My little jack russel who is a chronic shedder is now cured by a healthy diet. Monsanto is pure evil i for one will not buy roundup or any other monsanto products.

Strenth of the bear, speed of the puma, and endurance of a clydesdale.

www.facebook.com/onelapcamaro

MichaelH is offline Member
    Well, good thing that you've isolated the problem. I'll be curious to know if you're giving up on coconut all together, or just the oil.

I'm just starting to incorporate coconut to my diet in a more deliberate way. I love Thai curries, so I think I'll take to it.

Maybe Northern Europeans are just not adapted to this food, which is not traditionally part of our diet.
    Yeah, I have E. European heritage, and I doubt my ancestors ever encountered a coconut, but hopefully I won't have any adverse reactions.

klawler9 is offline Member
    I bet the coconut oil is actually not the problem. I bet anti fungal nature of coconut oil is killing the yeast in your gut and the rosacea is just the dead fungus releasing mycotoxins that come through your skin. If you don't fully bring your gut back to it's normal natural healthy state then this will continue if you eat coconut oil - but it's probably not the cocounut oil that is the problem........but I've been wrong before

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klawler9 View Post
    I bet the coconut oil is actually not the problem. I bet anti fungal nature of coconut oil is killing the yeast in your gut and the rosacea is just the dead fungus releasing mycotoxins that come through your skin. If you don't fully bring your gut back to it's normal natural healthy state then this will continue if you eat coconut oil - but it's probably not the cocounut oil that is the problem........but I've been wrong before
    I'm in agreement that this *may* be a possible cause. (How's that for confidence?!) If you have a more systemic yeast issue it can take quite a long time to clear out (I've seen some people take a year or more.) Rebuilding gut flora at the same time as cleaning out the bad stuff is important. Do you take any probiotics or eat any fermented foods? That can help a lot. Also... instead of cutting out coconut oil, maybe try eating less? It is a really powerful antifungal, so maybe you're just eating too much to be able to handle the die off? Many times you can need to cut back on the antifungals and then add in slowly again, to see what amount is fine before you start having die off issues that are too much to handle.

Just a thought...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I don't think I have rosacea, but I do have red skin on the sides of my nose that is bumpy and, at its worst, scaly. I have never been able to find a cause. It has gotten redder lately, and I have increased my coconut oil consumption lately also.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Hmm. I don't think I have rosacea, but I do have red skin on the sides of my nose that is bumpy and, at its worst, scaly. I have never been able to find a cause. It has gotten redder lately, and I have increased my coconut oil consumption lately also.
    What you're describing sounds just like rosacea. Might not be, but you might want to go here Rosacea.org: The National Rosacea Society and check it out to see. My ex used to have it and it was exactly like you describe.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by klawler9 View Post
    This is what I thought for a long time, but the "die off" has been going on now for three months. I was only taking 4 tsp per day. I don't have any symptoms of candida: no yeast infections, etc.

I think I am going to take a break from coconut oil and then maybe try very small amounts later.

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    I'm in agreement that this *may* be a possible cause. (How's that for confidence?!) If you have a more systemic yeast issue it can take quite a long time to clear out (I've seen some people take a year or more.) Rebuilding gut flora at the same time as cleaning out the bad stuff is important. Do you take any probiotics or eat any fermented foods? That can help a lot. Also... instead of cutting out coconut oil, maybe try eating less? It is a really powerful antifungal, so maybe you're just eating too much to be able to handle the die off? Many times you can need to cut back on the antifungals and then add in slowly again, to see what amount is fine before you start having die off issues that are too much to handle.

Just a thought...
    I do take probiotics, and a little yogurt every day. I don't have overt symptoms of candida, such as yeast infections, or toe fungus or anything like that. I was feeling fine before I started the coconut oil. Also, my skin looked a lot better! Not sure any benefits of killing off supposed yeast is worth having horrible skin for three months.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it regular coconut oil or is it virgin coconut oil? Would that make a difference?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast