Thread: Low Back Pain with Body Weight Squats page

Treespeed is offline Junior Member

Low Back Pain with Body Weight Squats

Shop Now
    I watched Mark’s video about slowly building up to the “grok squat”, but have had incredibly bad back spasms and pain that radiates down the back of my leg. I’m fairly active so it seems crazy that simple body weight squats would result in such a big problem. I've tried stretching and the foam roller, but this doesn't seem to fix the underlying pain and now any type of core work seems to cause my low back to spasm.

Just curious, because it seems like so many of the comments on the many paleo blogs and forums are that folks eat paleo and jump into crossfit without ever incurring injury or pain and it doesn’t seem like that would be the case for everyone.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    I'm no expert, but to me that type of pain sounds like a pinched nerve. If so, you'll have to address that before becoming more active or progressing in your squat routine.

I don't think following the PB eating plan will make you immune from pain or injury, but trying to abide by PB Law 8 (Don't do stupid things) may help prevent injury. You seem to be doing that by listening to your body and not doing things that cause a lot of pain.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    If I were you, I'd find a good chiropractor.

My doctor said that it's definitely muscular and not nerve or spine related. What reinforces this is that I have a reduction in pain symptoms with sports massage, but this doesn't help if I'm not able to strengthen the area to stop further injury.

Apex Predator, thank you for the advice, but I don't put much stock in the effectiveness of chiropractors.

I'm guessing I'll just have to wait until my insurance approves physical therapy.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Do overhead squats with a weightless bar (stick) - they're a great tool to auto-correct posture for squats. Remember to keep your heels down and the arms locked out behind your head.

YouTube - Crossfit Overhead Squat Instruction

I understand, I didn't either, I was raised being taught they were quacks. Then my girlfriend at the time's back pain got so bad her choices from conventional medicine were drugs, which she has bad reactions to, or surgery, which in her case was basically rolling the dice with her life(her reactions to anesthesia are also bad). Even though I didn't think it would help, there was a chiro that people at my gym raved about. I figured it couldn't hurt if the conventional treatments would be so intense they could repair any additional damage. Within a matter of months, she was pain-free AND he had fixed several other conditions while he was working on her. Seeing her success, I recommended him to numerous other people. She is the only one that needs to go still, because her damage is so bad(he told her this in the beginning). Everyone else was able to stop going.

I do think there are good ones and maybe bad ones. I got about 6 recommendations for the one I sent her to.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get better!

Apex,

that's interesting (sincerely) if the PT doesn't pan out I might have to look into chiro recommendations in my area from some non-new agey folks in my area. I think just like the Paleo diet medical pain relief is a very personal and touchy subject with people being very sensitive about whatever interventions work for them. It's always surprising, for me, when people will reject CW in regards to diet, but then will suggest homeopathy or accupuncture

Quote Originally Posted by Treespeed View Post
    Apex,

that's interesting (sincerely) if the PT doesn't pan out I might have to look into chiro recommendations in my area from some non-new agey folks in my area. I think just like the Paleo diet medical pain relief is a very personal and touchy subject with people being very sensitive about whatever interventions work for them. It's always surprising, for me, when people will reject CW in regards to diet, but then will suggest homeopathy or accupuncture
    I think there is some unevenness with Chiros, and just like anything else, some of the bad ones gave the good ones a bad name. I would go to a gym, or better yet a sports team for a recommendation.

PT is basically no risk, so it makes sense to try it first. I would just try a chiro before meds or surgery.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    have had incredibly bad back spasms and pain that radiates down the back of my leg
    These are classic sciatica symptoms. I'd get yourself to that physical therapist or a sports therapist.