Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 36

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    [...] At the same time, my weight IS NOT CHANGING! At 5'9'', I seem stuck at 145lbs [...]
    Damn! I weighed myself this morning after maybe 8-10 days without doing it and bam! 4lbs lighter ... I had been stuck at 145 for ages ... not sure what happened. Maybe the carbs of late ...

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm on day 14 of one meal a day IF, so 2 weeks, and I've lost 6 lbs since switching. In the previous 6 weeks I'd lost 4 lbs on 3 meals a day vlc primal. I'm very satisfied.

I also have a stinking cold which I picked up a few days ago and have had streaming eyes, nose, sneezing constantly, but no inclination to eat any more than my one meal.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    I'm on day 14 of one meal a day IF, so 2 weeks, and I've lost 6 lbs since switching. In the previous 6 weeks I'd lost 4 lbs on 3 meals a day vlc primal. I'm very satisfied.

I also have a stinking cold which I picked up a few days ago and have had streaming eyes, nose, sneezing constantly, but no inclination to eat any more than my one meal.
    Wow, I had not had a cold for ages since going primal ... sorry to hear that.

About your weight loss, congrats!
    What surprises me in my situation is that I could not really see where I could lose more weight and I was pretty stable (3-4 months at 145lbs).

TerriAnn is offline Junior Member
    Today will be day 5 of eating one meal a day. I am down 1 pound. I have found the hunger during the day already seems to be abating.
    I have been 90 % primal since sept. The switch to one meal a day wasn't too difficult. This feels right.
    As a middle aged post menopausal woman, I do have about 10 % body fat to lose. I have no doubt this will be successful.
    Everything I read points to it. I do not fast for 48 hours once a week (yet) I'm not sure I will. Although I have lost only 1 pound, my body seems firmer and more toned already.
    I have felt lethargic, and devoid of energy though, which does not seem to be the norm? Also, I am not sleeping well. Perhaps just a few more days.
    Primal 90% from sept. 2012
    looking to alter ulcerative colitis

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Wow, I had not had a cold for ages since going primal ... sorry to hear that.

About your weight loss, congrats!
    What surprises me in my situation is that I could not really see where I could lose more weight and I was pretty stable (3-4 months at 145lbs).
    Thanks. I know I've got at least another 20lbs of fat to lose and I'd assumed I was reaching a point where the loss would become harder. Really glad to find it's not the case ... yet.

I know I'm run down because my sleep is frequently disturbed - sometimes 3 or 4 times a night when my father's up. The funny thing is that at 93, with his heart basically kept beating by a pacemaker and with alzheimer's, he's fine and hasn't picked up the cold, because he's actually in pretty good overall health. The cold appears to have gone now, so 4 days is pretty good for me when something like this, pre-primal and when I was working, would usually linger for a couple of weeks or more. The first real cold I've had in 18 months of looking after my father.

I'm guessing that your body decided you're feeding it sufficiently on a daily basis that it didn't need to be hanging onto that last handful of pounds. Sounds like your metabolism figuring out a new balance between intake and storage. Cool.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Quote Originally Posted by TerriAnn View Post
    Today will be day 5 of eating one meal a day. I am down 1 pound. I have found the hunger during the day already seems to be abating.
    I have been 90 % primal since sept. The switch to one meal a day wasn't too difficult. This feels right.
    As a middle aged post menopausal woman, I do have about 10 % body fat to lose. I have no doubt this will be successful.
    Everything I read points to it. I do not fast for 48 hours once a week (yet) I'm not sure I will. Although I have lost only 1 pound, my body seems firmer and more toned already.
    I have felt lethargic, and devoid of energy though, which does not seem to be the norm? Also, I am not sleeping well. Perhaps just a few more days.
    Although I wasn't hungry, I did have a couple of days in the first week when I just felt like going back to bed in the middle of the day, so I did for 30 mins or so. Because I know I'm fairly run down, it's hard to say if that was the IFing or just me lacking sleep and being generally knackered.

jaczor is offline Member
    I started doing IF this week (16 hour), so far so good, but I have a question regarding the feeding window: should I force myself to eat?

I ask because for the last meal of the day I'm usually not that hungry, but I force myself to eat because I know I need the calories and also, because I will be very hungry the next day if I don't. I do have a large meal when I break the fast.

I'm trying to apply the same primal principles to my IF so I'm not counting calories or anything, I'm just making my two meals larger than usual to make up for the time I'm fasting.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
    I started doing IF this week (16 hour), so far so good, but I have a question regarding the feeding window: should I force myself to eat?

I ask because for the last meal of the day I'm usually not that hungry, but I force myself to eat because I know I need the calories and also, because I will be very hungry the next day if I don't. I do have a large meal when I break the fast.

I'm trying to apply the same primal principles to my IF so I'm not counting calories or anything, I'm just making my two meals larger than usual to make up for the time I'm fasting.
    I just eat to satiety and accept the hunger if it comes the next day.... then you can be a ravenous beast that night and overload. See, its IF AND calorie cycling all done for you based on satiety.

jackaaron is offline Member
    I wanted to post on what I've experienced so far in doing IF, get any of your thoughts, etc. Also, a few observations....

With IF as PK describes it, I started the gradual transition, and I've not yet got to one meal yet. In April I started at 7am. I'm now at 1pm. This coming Sunday will be 1:30pm.

When I got to 11:30am (about 1.5 months ago) is when I started losing weight. I've lost approx. 15 pounds since then. The reason why is that 11:30 was typically when I'd eat lunch, so once I reached 11:30am, I officially switched to only two meals a day.

I don't eat Primal, honestly I don't watch anything I eat...yet. I plan to get to one meal first...then refine my diet (gradually) and make my workouts more meaningful.

I do work out sometimes. Not really well, nothing huge, nothing structured, but I might get 2-3 times in a week for a few weeks, then take off a week.

So, thus far, this is working out.

Some observations:

I do get hungry at times. Typically, I try to have coffee, and half/half. I put a LOT of organic half/half in it. I only let myself have two of these a day...one thing that's helpful, in my opinion, is drinking lower acid organic coffee. I just think the smoothness of it is easier on you. Maybe you like the acid. I found a cold brew that is so awesome it actually caused me to learn how to make my own.

Coffee and water helps with hunger. Also, knowing that you WILL eat, it's just delayed.

Eating slower when you finally do eat. This is so huge for me as I use to eat as if I would never get another meal in my life. When you eat far slower, it seems to fill you up much, much longer, and there are no hunger pains from eating everything all at once.

Carb rich meals, of which I likely have many of are terrible as your last meal before a fast. And, if they were your only meal, you would be even hungrier in my opinion. If you're on your way to 1 meal but currently on 2 (or even trying to get to 2) make sure your last meal is more protein oriented. For example, a lot of pasta with very little protein, you will really be very hungry the next day before you finally eat. But, for me, if I get a good amount of protein, ate slowly, on my last meal of the day, it lasts so much longer.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I prefer eating in the PM, because otherwise I'll get hungry again, no matter how much I eat. I prefer training in the AM (usually start between 8 or 10AM). Is there such a thing as too long before you break the fast after training?

For the past year or more, I've been doing intermittent fasting by winging it, usually breaking the fast some time after noon, which works fine for am or pm training both. But if I don't eat until 6 (if I'm working the evening shift, I have my break somewhere between 6-8pm) is it still alright to do the training early? I will likely supplement with some BCAA or leucine, but even so...

Today I worked out in the morning, and had a whey, dex, leucine and creatine shake afterwards. My next meal (and only "real" meal) was at around 6pm. It was ok, but then I had the shake to carry me over... Would imagine it would be tough without it.

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast