Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 404

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 35

  1. #341
    Kegas76's Avatar
    Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    263
    Primal Fuel
    That guy in the pic should have injected his forearms instead and gone as Popeye for Halloween.

  2. #342
    gabygrok's Avatar
    gabygrok is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2
    I am wondering if anyone has experienced acne from IF? I started doing 20-24 hour fasts about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a substantial increase acne??? I am a 38 year old female and my skin tends to break out in response to eating foods that do not agree with me. Since I have started IFing my skin has gone haywire. I have not lost weight (I don't have weight to lose) I am assuming hormones are involved?
    I am wondering if this is something that will pass? Any insight would be much appreciated. I am really enjoying the mental clarity I have with eating once a day and would hate to stop but the acne issue is really a problem.

  3. #343
    awok677's Avatar
    awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK, The South West
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by gabygrok View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has experienced acne from IF? I started doing 20-24 hour fasts about 3 weeks ago and have noticed a substantial increase acne??? I am a 38 year old female and my skin tends to break out in response to eating foods that do not agree with me. Since I have started IFing my skin has gone haywire. I have not lost weight (I don't have weight to lose) I am assuming hormones are involved?
    I am wondering if this is something that will pass? Any insight would be much appreciated. I am really enjoying the mental clarity I have with eating once a day and would hate to stop but the acne issue is really a problem.
    I've had bad acne for 35 years. One time I went to give blood and they asked if I had chicken pox! My GP told me it wasn't anything to do with what I ate but it was always better when I ate low carb and worse when I ate snacks. This year I cut out dairy completely for the first time and after about 6 weeks, it's completely gone. Are you using heavy cream/butter in coffee? I've been IF'ing one meal a day for just over a week now and no sign of the acne flaring up. But I don't touch any kind of dairy.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

  4. #344
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    I used to have bad acne when I was a teenager. It was the only time in my life I would drink a lot of cow milk (UHT kind of crap) but never related the two. Before and after my teenage years, acne was a non-issue. I can eat cheese and cream / butter without any flares. I have been IFing as described in pklopp's articles for many weeks without any acne issue (I am 38 now). So what exactly do you eat ?

  5. #345
    gabygrok's Avatar
    gabygrok is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    I used to have bad acne when I was a teenager. It was the only time in my life I would drink a lot of cow milk (UHT kind of crap) but never related the two. Before and after my teenage years, acne was a non-issue. I can eat cheese and cream / butter without any flares. I have been IFing as described in pklopp's articles for many weeks without any acne issue (I am 38 now). So what exactly do you eat ?
    My diet has gotten more and more restrictive due to multiple food sensitivities. Dairy is not my friend so I avoid it. I stick to mainly meat, eggs, veggies, avocado and brazil nuts and coconut oil. I don't do well with fruit, I seem to be very carb sensitive. The only real change has been in the timing of my meal - went from eating 3 meals a day to 1 or 2. I thought perhaps my skin changes had to do with an increase in testosterone or a change in the balance between estrogen and testosterone. I am prepared to keep up the experiment to see where this all takes me.
    Last edited by gabygrok; 05-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  6. #346
    awok677's Avatar
    awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK, The South West
    Posts
    318
    About three weeks after giving up dairy, when my skin was improving, I tried some clarified butter and had an immediate flare-up that took another 3 weeks then to clear. Since then I've not touched any and I've not had another flare-up, nearly 3 months now. I've gone from 2 cooked meals and mid-day avocado/cold meat/coconut and snacking to one meal a day at dinner and no snacks. Although I've also been vlc since early December, well under 20% and currently no more than about 5% carbs. Not saying this is why, just data points for you to be aware of.

    dkJames, when I was 13 we moved house and went from raw unpasteurised milk from the farm down the road, to supermarket (pasteurised, homogenised) milk and I carried on drinking just as much as I had been. To be honest probably more than anyone else in the house. Because of the timing I assumed it was puberty, but my brother's cleared after about 18 and mine never did. but he never drank as much milk as I did.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

  7. #347
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    Puberty and pasteurized dairy is definitely a bad combo ...
    My wife is going dairy free as well because of potential hormonal disruption (she is on a journey to recover from years of quite shitty PMS and she is about to prevail - going dairy free is an experiment she has to try). I will follow her soon when I finish all the raw milk cheese (a Pont-l'évêque and a Camembert from Calvados - where these cheeses originate from ... it's gonna be hard not to have them for a while ...), butter and Greek yogurt I eat almost daily. Since going primal, my skin underwent a dramatic change but I believe it had to do with my ditching wheat (was a big eater of wheat and all sorts of gluten bearing grains). I do get occasional spots or tiny pimples on my back but going dairy free will tell me whether it has to do with it.

    One more thing: I recommend you all spend some time in a sauna about once a week (since I am lucky enough to live in Scandinavia, you can imagine that it is quite a habit here

  8. #348
    Bobert's Avatar
    Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    148
    Pk, thanks for all the info. Do you have a good rule of thumb about how fast the body can access FFA during the fasting period?

  9. #349
    RayDWeger's Avatar
    RayDWeger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by gabygrok View Post
    My diet has gotten more and more restrictive due to multiple food sensitivities. Dairy is not my friend so I avoid it. I stick to mainly meat, eggs, veggies, avocado and brazil nuts and coconut oil. I don't do well with fruit, I seem to be very carb sensitive. The only real change has been in the timing of my meal - went from eating 3 meals a day to 1 or 2. I thought perhaps my skin changes had to do with an increase in testosterone or a change in the balance between estrogen and testosterone. I am prepared to keep up the experiment to see where this all takes me.
    How many Brazil nuts are you eating daily
    I eat no more than 2 a day. Occasionally if I miss a day or so I will eat 3 but only for a couple of days and then go back to 2/day. They are very high in selenium and that can break your skin out if your levels get to high.

  10. #350
    dkJames's Avatar
    dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    477
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Going back to body composition and IF, after a bit longer than couple of months on one meal day (no bullet proof coffee, no cream, no CO in my tea whatsoever during the day), I can confirm what pklopp is saying: my body composition is changing and it seems to accelerate lately. At the same time, my weight IS NOT CHANGING! At 5'9'', I seem stuck at 145lbs (which is completely fine by me). But my muscle definition and stubborn fat have changed quite a lot. And in the mean time, I increased my carb consumption (fruits, potatoes, and rice sometimes). As to my workouts, they have not changed since adopting one meal a day. Very effective WOE I must say

Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •