Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 34

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Does anyone know if having multiple servings of BCAA during morning lifts and shortly after break the fast?

I lift in the am fasted and don't eat anything until 6 pm

Thanks.
    Are you following LeanGains by any chance? I know Martin Berkhan is a big proponent of BCAA supplementation.

My sense is that in any amount that you are likely to be taking them, they should not interfere. The question is whether the BCAAs will result in any significant insulin response. I don't know about that, but I have seen studies that suggest that BCAA levels in the plasma increase during starvation. I expect this is because BCAAs are readily oxidized during exercise and during starvation or fasting, they are released to provide a systemic energy substrate. I'm speculating there, but it seems reasonable. So, BCAA supplementation is mimicking your metabolic response, which I would expect to maintain the fasting hormonal context.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Are you following LeanGains by any chance? I know Martin Berkhan is a big proponent of BCAA supplementation.

My sense is that in any amount that you are likely to be taking them, they should not interfere. The question is whether the BCAAs will result in any significant insulin response. I don't know about that, but I have seen studies that suggest that BCAA levels in the plasma increase during starvation. I expect this is because BCAAs are readily oxidized during exercise and during starvation or fasting, they are released to provide a systemic energy substrate. I'm speculating there, but it seems reasonable. So, BCAA supplementation is mimicking your metabolic response, which I would expect to maintain the fasting hormonal context.

-PK
    Yes kind of a blend of lean gains and warrior diet.

Thanks for the info.

mavo is offline Junior Member
    I dont quite understand all the praise BCAA gets. From a paleo perspective, EAAs should be the better alternative. I can easily imagine some hunters eating a bit of dried meat during their hunt, but i can hardly imagine them setting up a complete fractional filtration setup to get their pure BCAA during the hunt.
    Also, i could not find any studies that directly compared the two in real humans. The one all the rave seems to be based upon is this one Distinct anabolic signalling responses to amino acids in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells - Springer which used cell cultures, so i am not sure how well it translates into real life.
    Does someone have a better insight into these things?

Quote Originally Posted by mavo View Post
    I dont quite understand all the praise BCAA gets. From a paleo perspective, EAAs should be the better alternative. I can easily imagine some hunters eating a bit of dried meat during their hunt, but i can hardly imagine them setting up a complete fractional filtration setup to get their pure BCAA during the hunt.
    Also, i could not find any studies that directly compared the two in real humans. The one all the rave seems to be based upon is this one Distinct anabolic signalling responses to amino acids in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells - Springer which used cell cultures, so i am not sure how well it translates into real life.
    Does someone have a better insight into these things?
    This is my take on it, and I have not fully researched this, I'm just thinking out loud.

Here's an analogy ...

Imagine that one day your neighbour rushes to your home breathless and announces that there is a truck coming down the road that is giving away free lumber. You don't quite believe him, but you go outside to have a look and sure enough, there is a lumber truck slowly moving down the road and all your neighbours are rushing up to the truck, taking 2x4s, running to their back yards, throwing the lumber over the fence, then rushing back to the truck to do it all again, while there's still free lumber to be had. You're nobody's fool, so you join in the fray, accumulating quite an untidy aglomeration in your back yard. Eventually, the truck is gone, so you set about bringing some order to your pile of lumber, and you spend the next while arranging things in tidy piles.

While all of this has been going on, all of it has been monitored by a KH-11 Keenan class reconnaissance satellite passing overhead. About the size of the Hubble space telescope and possessing a similar 2.4 meter mirror yielding 6 inch resolution on the ground, this is the satellite class that supposedly provided the crucial intel that ultimately located Osama Bin Laden. All of the images gathered of your neighbourhood are transmitted to analysts at the NSA and NRO ( National Research Office ). After careful analysis of the images, both organizations agree that given the amount of activity observed and the quantity of lumber in your back yard, a great deal of effort has been expended and further, it would seem that you are about to add an extension to your house of several rooms. Except that over the coming weeks, as the weather gets cold, you systematically draw down your neatly stacked pile of lumber to burn it for heat in your fireplace, which had been your intention all along.

Now, in this analogy, the houses in the neighbourhood are muscle cells. You and your neighbour are protein synthesis enzymes. The lumber truck is part of the local circulatory system. The lumber itself is BCAAs, and the tidy lumber piles are an intermediate protein structure that has yet to be identified. The recon satellite is whatever lab techniques are being used by the scientists performing the experiment, who themselves map onto the NSA and NRO analysts.

Everything hangs together perfectly, and the conclusion is perfectly wrong. The only reason the cells increase protein synthesis in the presence of BCAAs is to build temporary storage organelles which are oxidized when the situation warrants. Analysts thought you were destined to build an addition whereas you always intended to build a bonfire.

It's not enough to say that protein synthesis is increased, and therefore it's all good. There is an unstated assumption among the fitness community that BCAAs increase synthesis of the functional aspects of muscle cells, i.e. actin, myosin, muscle sarcomeres or the like. Of course, cortisol is also a protein structure, and if I were to tell you that all of the increased protein synthesis was going into synthesizing additional proto-cortisol, the BCAA party would come to a screeching halt. I'm not saying that it does, I'm just pointing out that it very important to decide just what exactly is being synthesized.

-PK

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    So, in our current context, we find ourselves constantly bombarded with priming messages to eat. This makes "eat when you feel like it" a far more challenging proposition than it once was.

This is why I prefer fasting and one meal per day. You cannot mess this up. I doesn't really get any simpler.

-PK
    Yes, and of course we're surrounded by people who don't even need the subliminal priming messages, because they honestly believe that missing meals is 'bad for you', and aren't afraid to tell you so. I remember at school when I wanted to do two activities in one lunchtime (circuit training and volleyball) having to be very careful to let neither teacher know that I wasn't actually eating lunch that day.

It's very much easier for me knowing that eating during the day isn't going to just add a few calories to the total, but derail burning my fat stores for 4-5 hours. That gives me a good reason to hold off until dinner, when I don't have to worry then about how much I'm eating. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person, so it's working very well for me. Cheers.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Great analogy! I hope you are a teacher. If not, talent got wasted

My intuition is, that even if BCAA could upregulate muscle protein synthesis, it would still be useless in the context of fasted training plus BCAA, since they are a incomplete protein source, thus there is nothing available to actually build the muscle. The only thing left would be the hope that it could stop muscle breakdown in a fasted training setting, which i dont know if it even exists. And in this case, normal protein could probably do that too. I hope that wasnt too much speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by mavo View Post
    Great analogy! I hope you are a teacher. If not, talent got wasted

My intuition is, that even if BCAA could upregulate muscle protein synthesis, it would still be useless in the context of fasted training plus BCAA, since they are a incomplete protein source, thus there is nothing available to actually build the muscle. The only thing left would be the hope that it could stop muscle breakdown in a fasted training setting, which i dont know if it even exists. And in this case, normal protein could probably do that too. I hope that wasnt too much speculation on my part.
    I suspect that what might happen is that the BCAAs prevent in situ catabolism. That is, because there are exogenously supplied energy substrates, your don't need to breakdown your BCAA stores. You keep them around for some other time. This serves to maintain muscle mass, even though that mass is simply in the form of stored fuel. And in the fitness community, there is a sizable contingent that considers a bigger muscle a good thing, even when that muscle is simply large due to being injected with an inert oil ...

65.jpg

-PK

Thanks for taking your time. I will keep doing my workouts fasted for the health benefits.

Paleobird Guest
    Ewww. PK, that guy in the pic above looks like he has a giant bicep tumor. Not attractive.

We are in violent agreement! There are people out there that seriously just go for mass, irrespective of how that's achieved. Injecting synthol is just brain dead stupid, and you would think it would be obvious to everyone. Apparently, it isn't. Body image problems are not restricted to anorexia or young girls ...

-PK

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast