Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 30

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Intriguing! I've been using about 100 kcal of blended coconut milk in coffee as a breakfast replacement for several months but not specifically as a fasting strategy (my day job is in a food desert with no refrigerator so I'd rather not bother with lunch). Now I wonder if it preserves the overnight fasted state? It keeps me pretty stress-free until my first meal which is typically 2pm or 6pm.
    I wonder how one would determine that. Would blood glucose tests tell us what is going on?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Intriguing! I've been using about 100 kcal of blended coconut milk in coffee as a breakfast replacement for several months but not specifically as a fasting strategy (my day job is in a food desert with no refrigerator so I'd rather not bother with lunch). Now I wonder if it preserves the overnight fasted state? It keeps me pretty stress-free until my first meal which is typically 2pm or 6pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I wonder how one would determine that. Would blood glucose tests tell us what is going on?
    Yes, I've been doing the same thing with coconut cream for quite a while now. I don't have a glucose meter but it would be interesting to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, I've been doing the same thing with coconut cream for quite a while now. I don't have a glucose meter but it would be interesting to find out.
    Hopefully someone who has one will do the test. I have a meter but I don't drink coffee and drink my tea plain.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    PK, thanks for the post and sharing our insights regarding fasting. it's really fascinating.

I'm only speculating and thinking out-loud at this point. From the charts in your original post, there seems to be a relationship between the increase in ketones (B-OHB) and the release of fatty acids further into the fast. If you were to use a ketogenic diet to increase your B-OHB (ketone bodies) prior to fasting, do you think you could it could result in releasing free fatty acids within a 24 hour period as though you've been in a fast for 40 hours? Another way to look at the same questions. If my B-OHB levels were 1.0 in a fasted state and reached 1.8 at the end of 24 hours, wouldn't there be the potential to release peak fatty acids as though one has been in a fast for 40 hours?

I would also be interested to see if it's possible since cortisol levels would also be at it's lower levels while using a shorter fasting period while being in ketosis. What do you think?

vikyb is offline Senior Member
    This trilogy of threads has been absolutely fascinating to read! The idea of acceptably eating once a day holds many great promises, namely saving money on my food to feed our 3yo boy (who eats every hour!!)
    I haven't bothered to calculate kCals with my food, I know I am currently not eating as much as I probably should. I am on Metermine (30 for 2 months, started 40s today) and I just don't really get hungry. Dinner is 3 veg and meat, say a cup worth of each? I have lost 14.3kg ((33lb) down from 101.5kg) in the last 2 months pretty much eating in a 16/8 style accidently, or with an omelette or plain bacon and eggs at societal breakfast. Would it be beneficial to learn to have CO on its own for more fat? Eating as much as I don't, I am eliminating about once a week, so would my body be utilising more of the food I am eating? And would CO help?

vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member
    Ok so I have completed 8 days of 1 meal a day & I loved it completely! It felt great & everything was ..quite easy eventually.

But I chanced upon Mark's fasting articles (he's got about 8/9 of them just search out!) & he specifically mentions one shouldnt do the "same fasting regime" for too long because the body would get "used to it" & wind up slowing the metabolism etc etc.

My question is this - Is the 40-44 hour fast aimed at reversing this homeostatis? Or would it take a day/2days of normal feeding to reverse the body's functioning so that it speeds up the metabolism once again (hey there's lots of food, no need to slow down now folks!!) ?

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful! Happy fasting

Regards,
    Vishnu

Mix it up.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vishnuns39620 View Post
    My question is this - Is the 40-44 hour fast aimed at reversing this homeostatis? Or would it take a day/2days of normal feeding to reverse the body's functioning so that it speeds up the metabolism once again (hey there's lots of food, no need to slow down now folks!!) ?
    It's not a well-studied area so we can only make guesses. My hunch is that 7 consecutive deficit days is unwise.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vishnuns39620 View Post
    ... he specifically mentions one shouldnt do the "same fasting regime" for too long because the body would get "used to it" & wind up slowing the metabolism etc etc.
    This study found that after 8 weeks of eating one meal a day (20-23 hour daily fasts) participants lost fat and gained lean mass despite the researchers efforts to have them eat the same number of calories as subjects eating three meals a day. This indicates (though doesn't necessarily mean) that the one meal a day crew had increased metabolisms. This sounds very reasonable to me. So after 8 weeks of intermittent fasting, the beneficial metabolism parameters were still present. Do you think the body would adapt if subjected to a longer intervention? Maybe!

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Mix it up.
    So I've be IF'ing for the past 2 1/2 months...mostly on a 18/6 and for the past 2 weeks 20/4 (except for weekends when I do 18/6 for family reasons)...and yesterday I ate about 800 calories and really wasn't hungry for more but decided to have a small meal (I'm doing steak and eggs diet) to get to 1200 calories so I wouldn't overeat today...well this morning I was raveneous and couldn't stop thinking about food to the point that it was distracting me from being productive at work...usual tricks didn't work so I decided to listen to my body and for the first time in 2.5 months had a morning meal 8:45 am (2 hb eggs and 4 pieces of bacon)...but then I started dreaming about a bacon swiss burger so by 10:45 I was having a bunless burger...the beast seems to have been slayed and I'm sated so we will see what happens tonight...if I eat more or can get away with a small or no meal...figure I'm at about 1000 C at this point so hope to keep it small...decided today will be a V instead of a triangle in terms of food intake...I guess I should have listened to my body last night and skipped the last meal because it obviously had no bearing on my hunger today lol...this listening to my body and trusting myself is a process...will be interested to see how this change in my fasting routine affects my weight loss and hunger levels tomorrow...a test to see if mixing it up has any effect

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast