Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 400

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 29

  1. #281
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736

  2. #282
    ajm422's Avatar
    ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    Would this be something that, with coffee, would be okay while you're not eating?
    Strictly speaking, the idea of fasting is to not have any calories. I'm of the mind that one should not consume any calories. I drink black coffee, iced tea with lemon, and water when I fast. The reason heavy cream is "ok" is that there are no carbohydrates in cream so there is (in theory) no insulin response and, presumably, no changes in the fasting levels of GH and glucagon.

    So if you putting heavy cream in your coffee makes the difference between fasting and not fasting, then go for it. But my personal opinion is that fasting should be committed to in full. If you don't like black coffee (heresy), then don't drink coffee. Just don't think about food. Drink water. Get stuff done. Drink tea. Or ignore me, whatever. I just like the idea of fasting and going without, and everyone searching for loopholes always chafes.

  3. #283
    jackaaron's Avatar
    jackaaron is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Strictly speaking, the idea of fasting is to not have any calories. I'm of the mind that one should not consume any calories. I drink black coffee, iced tea with lemon, and water when I fast. The reason heavy cream is "ok" is that there are no carbohydrates in cream so there is (in theory) no insulin response and, presumably, no changes in the fasting levels of GH and glucagon.

    So if you putting heavy cream in your coffee makes the difference between fasting and not fasting, then go for it. But my personal opinion is that fasting should be committed to in full. If you don't like black coffee (heresy), then don't drink coffee. Just don't think about food. Drink water. Get stuff done. Drink tea. Or ignore me, whatever. I just like the idea of fasting and going without, and everyone searching for loopholes always chafes.
    I'm with you.

    I have two grande two pump vanilla Starbucks lattes a day though.

    I don't like strait coffee, I like what my friends call, "foo foo" coffee. I've basically accepted that lol.

    I thought that completely eliminating these lattes will be absolute terror for me even though I have been inching back as PK had suggested.

    I started at 7am, and I'm now at 8:30am. I know I'm going to get to the one meal a day in about 2 months, but I don't know how I'm going to give up the caffein.

    Who knows, maybe I will just drink black coffee.

  4. #284
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,253
    Interesting thread.

    Okay, I'll try my first 48hr fast this month, for kicks.

    Does it count if I do it on the airplane and fly "forward in time" by 14 hours? That would make it only a 34hr fast in real time.

  5. #285
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,289
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    I know this seems trivial, but I cannot find the answer lol!

    But, within fasting, I realize you say you can drink coffee with a little bit of creme, etc. I read that this doesn't really effect the fast, even if it ends up being a couple hundred calories, but you want to try to limit the creme.

    I have a few questions...

    It seems that anything outside of water is still begin digested, right? Isn't part of the positive from IF that you're not digesting something (like coffee/creme) nearly 20 hours out of the day? Maybe it's just so negligible.

    Also, I thought I saw someone say they use Heavy Whipping Cream instead of just regular creamer. For example, there's only 50 cals, 5g Fat, and 0 sugar/carb in something like Horizon Organic Heavy Whipping Cream. Would this be something that, with coffee, would be okay while you're not eating?
    "Creme" has no specific meaning in English. "Creamer" is an artificial food-like substance designed to whiten coffee. It may have an ingredients list dozens of chemical compounds long. Hopefully you have been putting half-and-half or some other dairy product in your coffee. If not, it's time to give up creamer cold turkey.

  6. #286
    vishnuns39620's Avatar
    vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Why 2 sweet potatoes, why not 1? Why a milk shake? Why not water or tea? Why the whey protein? Why would you want to try to overeat?
    I think this is the biggest question I must ask msyelf - The last 2 days at the end of the daily 20 Hr+ fast I have more or less stuffed myself with food.

    I may even have some B.E.D ? (that would suck though... ) I hope to eat in the 'normal range' today at dinner! Cheers.

    - Vishnu

  7. #287
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,289
    Quote Originally Posted by vishnuns39620 View Post
    I think this is the biggest question I must ask msyelf - The last 2 days at the end of the daily 20 Hr+ fast I have more or less stuffed myself with food.

    I may even have some B.E.D ? (that would suck though... ) I hope to eat in the 'normal range' today at dinner! Cheers.

    - Vishnu
    When I was doing a 5 hour window I found it useful to fix a small but satisfying snack to break the fast with. Otherwise I might wait just a few hours until dinner and then eat so fast I ate too much.

  8. #288
    ilovesteak's Avatar
    ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    239
    I was IF'ing Leangains style for a few months and thought it was the way to go. Then I read pklopp's Part 1-3 series on IF and it made so much sense to me, especially considering that he could back up his theories with scientific facts and wasn't just pulling rabbits out of a hat with fancy music and flashing lights.

    Even though pklopp suggests to push your lunch back 1/2 an hour per week so you don't transition too fast I couldn't do it that slow because I'm impatient when I stumble onto something that clicks with me. I pushed my lunch back 1 hr per week and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever, but YMMV of course. After seven weeks my lunch fell onto my dinner and thus I had achieved the one meal a day scenario. Then I held this scenario for 3 weeks before I instituted a weekly 44 hr fast by simply skipping my Saturday dinner. On my 3rd week of following this regimen I must say that I've never felt better. I'm rarely feeling hungry and my dinners are satisfying yet not a huge feast of ancient roman proportions. My energy level is top notch and my strength is increasing every week.

    I'm lifting heavy twice a week and doing Tabatha sprints and planking once a week. All in all, I spend about 20 min in the gym per workout. Progressively adding weight to the bar every week with no signs of stalling. Muscle definition is starting to emerge, my head is clear and sharp, and I have gone through 3 pant sizes since I started. Oh, and I have a Bulletproof coffee every morning as well.

    Based on personal experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend pklopp's IF suggestions as they have been working like a charm for me. I will continue to IF this way and give periodical updates down the line.

  9. #289
    pklopp's Avatar
    pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    I know this seems trivial, but I cannot find the answer lol!

    But, within fasting, I realize you say you can drink coffee with a little bit of creme, etc. I read that this doesn't really effect the fast, even if it ends up being a couple hundred calories, but you want to try to limit the creme.

    I have a few questions...

    It seems that anything outside of water is still begin digested, right? Isn't part of the positive from IF that you're not digesting something (like coffee/creme) nearly 20 hours out of the day? Maybe it's just so negligible.

    Also, I thought I saw someone say they use Heavy Whipping Cream instead of just regular creamer. For example, there's only 50 cals, 5g Fat, and 0 sugar/carb in something like Horizon Organic Heavy Whipping Cream. Would this be something that, with coffee, would be okay while you're not eating?

    Thanks.
    The primary reason we fast is to achieve a specific hormonal profile conducive to more favourable nutrient partitioning. This generally means low insulin so that we oxidize fats in place of carbohydrates or protein. With that in mind, digestion isn't really our focus, insofar as if we could find a nutrient to digest that would not budge our circulating insulin levels, we would be in keeping with our overall approach.

    The nutrient that we can eat without creating an insulin response is dietary fat, which means that we can go ahead and include minimal amounts of it during the fasted phase. Keep in mind that adipose tissue is perfectly capable of assimilating plasma triglycerides without elevated insulin, which means that as the cream from your coffee hits your system this will result in a net decrease in lypolysis.

    When drinking cream with our coffee, we have a couple of things in our favour, 1) the amount of cream used is probably minimal in the grand scheme of things, and 2) because we are not affecting insulin levels, your muscles are still deriving their energy from beta oxidation of free fatty acids.

    If you truly want to maximize your results, you should probably have your coffee black. However, for many people this proves to be one of the most difficult things to do. I also cannot quantify how much better your results are going to be, which means that if it were the case that by cutting out cream you get 1% more fatty acid oxidation, I'm not sure the deprivation would be worth it. If that number were 10% or higher, it may very well be worth it to go without.

    Bottom line, if having cream in your coffee helps you stick to your fast otherwise, I would endorse it without reservation with the single caveat that you keep it within reason ( i.e. if you are using more than 1 tbsp per cup, or wind up having 1 cup per hour .... hmmmm )

    As far as heavy whipping cream vs. other cream, it is fine to add to your coffee. The main difference with whipping cream is that it has additives to help maintain the colloid suspension ( i.e. the peaks once you've aerated the cream by whipping it ). As well, whipping cream tends to be higher in milk fat content, around 30+% whereas regular cream is around 15%. In the UK this would be double cream, meaning double the fat content of regular cream.

    -PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

    Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

  10. #290
    picklepete's Avatar
    picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,584
    Intriguing! I've been using about 100 kcal of blended coconut milk in coffee as a breakfast replacement for several months but not specifically as a fasting strategy (my day job is in a food desert with no refrigerator so I'd rather not bother with lunch). Now I wonder if it preserves the overnight fasted state? It keeps me pretty stress-free until my first meal which is typically 2pm or 6pm.
    35//6'3"/180

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •