Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 27

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    First full day and getting to bed is always the worse when your going for a bit longer of a fast.
    I have heard that before, pklopp I think. And I just need to get my head in the right place. I know I can do it. I think though, I am going to wait and get all these kids out of my hair - 5 extra here the last 10 days, along with DS18 and 4 of his friends here most of this past week. They will all be gone tomorrow.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Santa had a bit on IF in his newsletter this morning. Should you Fast - At least Briefly?

Quick question. Say you start out with the best of intentions. But then you slip and have a little something something. Is it best to go ahead and have a decent amount of calories for the day (the whole calorie restrictive argument) or just resume fasting?

Yesterday was my easiest 24 yet. I only had about 800 calories the evening before, but I never really got hungry yesterday. And I only had half a cup of BP coffee. The rest of the day was water with a little lemon. I think it is because I stayed busy. I went clothes shopping yesterday afternoon, and was able to pick up a few shirts in even smaller sizes than I thought I would need

So why then was it just 24 you might ask? Well, long about 6pm, I was reminded we were having a dinner guest... at any minute. So BLTs were easy and quick for them. And I knew that the smell of bacon would do me in. And then it would be easy to over do it but also maybe even grab a piece of bread... or two... with it. So I thought I would divert that disaster and I fried some eggs while the bacon was defrosting. So I had some eggs and salmon instead of bacon and possibly bread overload. I know the bacon would have been okay but I know that I would not stop with a reasonable about and I was afraid of what else it might lead to, so it was a damage prevention tactic.

So I ended the day with around 700 calories. I supplement so I am not worried about nutrients, and I don't really feel like "starvation mode" is a concern while I still have boatloads of fat storage, right? I have only been able to do 24s this week, but not even 2500 calories over 3 days.

I havent been sleeping as well. Thus the 3am posting. I dont know if it is because I take all my supplements at one time, at supper, which is about 3 hours tops before bedtime? When I eat two meals, I split them up. I have not had any caffeine drinks in the afternoon. I go to sleep okay, but then I wake up hot alot, which I was doing that before (after I went primal and lowered the carbs I think) but I have had trouble going back to sleep. I am going to the doctor on Thursday to ask for some blood work, not even sure what to ask for, but for one thing, I want to make sure I am not pre-menopausal. I wasnt over a year ago when I had all that checked.

Anyways, since 7/21, I have lost over 6lbs. Kind of misleading, because I had gained after some poor decisions. That takes me about a week to recover from so that is gone again and then some.

But July was such a roller coaster. Lots of house guests and many poor choices. So I think when it is all said and done, I may have only lost 3 pounds since July 1. arggghhh But I learned alot. And fasting really seems to help me reign things back in.

PriMod is offline Junior Member
    Hey all,

long time reader, first time poster, noob, lurker, whatever you want to call me so... hello folks, hope all is good!

I have been fasting for a couple of years on and off. I started with an Eat Stop Eat approach with two x 24 hour fasts a week but eating every day and managed to lose a good bit of girth with that.

I then did a leangains style for a while and that did not really make any difference for me. I was doing some weights but probably not the right kind and I now do a simple progressive loading system (strong lifts / starting strength) three times a week.

I have been eating pretty strict paleo and lowish carb for around 8 months now and again, unlike the friend I train with, I am not really leaning out. I am not huge but really want to get rid of that last bit of body fat where I seem to have stalled.

I was kind of using fasting willy-nilly really up to a few weeks ago. Mostly half days thrown in here and there and nearly always skipping breakfast. I train with weights three times a week, 8 months into that program so getting a bit better but I find that I can't shed that last bit of weight to get me from like a 20% to 10% body fat ratio.

So, giving this a go, I did around 44 hours from time I last ate last weekend and kind of stuffed myself a bit of on the evening when I broke the fast and felt a bit ill. I am around 24 hours into my second attempt and will certainly bring the food back in a little more gently when I break the fast tomorrow night. As other folks have reported, the second day was easy, no real hunger as such, felt pretty alive, could have done a run or some exercise fairly easily.

I am also going to do a short and gentle run tomorrow morning at about 36 hours into the fast so will report back on that.

My general plan is to do 1 x 24 and 1 x 48 a week for four weeks in total and see if that helps me get this last bit of fat moving. I am going to avoid alcohol, paleo baked treats etc and I always eat a pretty strict paleo diet and eat fairly low carb. I am attempting to take my calories down with this so will not overeat on off days and will keep a careful eye on my cals (no glugs of oil on my dinner etc on off days).

I am also going to photograph my progress over four weeks so I can review the pictures to determine if there are real visual benefits. I will continue to do my 3 x strength + a couple of light jogging + 1 x sprints workout a week. Beyond that, I am fairly active but my job is at a desk all day.

Hopefully this will be the push my body needs to get rid of that last bit of stubborn fat!

Few questions
    - any feedback on how much they tend to lose following this approach? 1lb a week etc?
    - once we are in fat burning mode on day 2 is there any benefit from trying to be as active as possible, going for walks etc?

Anyhow, great post pklop, will report back on my progress.

Cheers
    Marcus
    Last edited by PriMod; 08-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Right, 40 hours in to attempt number 2 and this has been somewhat easier. I was a bit jittery for an hour around lunchtime yesterday (16 hours) and after that have felt fine. Kept very busy, worked till 9pm then did the supermarket shopping. Slept well and no real problem getting off.

Feel great today, no major problems, feel focussed and will push on till dinner time tonight. Had intended to go for a light jog this morning but my teething son made that tricky but will be doing a strength workout and possible light jog for 30 mins later this evening.

By the time I have trained I will be at 48-49 hours so will report back on how the training goes. Will also be a bit more gentle in my reintroduction of food and attempt to not pig out and make myself feel ill.

More later.
    Marcus

around 43 hours in now and feeling a small bit jittery again. Going to go for a walk for five minutes.

I tend to think that this would be easier and a little more effective if I did not have a sitting down at my desk kind of job and was physically active. I guess my body is trying to release energy for me to go and do some hunting and gathering with and yet I have to kind of just sit here.

Would be interested to hear what other people do whilst they fast - do you do it at weekends or when at work? Work easier for me due to family time etc.

It is easier for me, when family is not around, well my grandson and niece that is. They are young'uns and it seems like someone constantly wants something. I dont eat the same things necessarily, but it has me in the kitchen thinking about food. Thank goodness they are back in school now. I thought DH would wig out, me skipping meals and all, but he doesnt. I do try to have dinner with him but if I can't wait, or skip, it is no big deal. I can usually cook for my teenage son w/o it bothering me too much. He is pretty primal by nature, so it isnt like I am baking cakes & cookies or anything.

I have needed breakfast the last few days - late breakfast/early lunch. But I had some BP coffee this morning, something I haven't done for quite awhile, and have my head back in the game again. I havent had the greatest of forward progress in August weight-loss wise. Up and down, but fasting helps me reign it back in. So I keep telling myself, just imagine if I didnt allow the setbacks? (vacation, etc) So that is my goal for the rest of the week and for September.

I dont think I have gone much past 30 or 36, can't remember now. I do pretty well on 24s, but usually my daily routine is an 16 - 19. I just added routine exercise back in last week, so I am thinking that might be why I have been a bit hungrier.

Hey, yeah, I have just done quite an endurance mission with it this time around. Last night at about 24 hours in I did the family shop so was in the supermarket for over an hour. Then, when got home around 10pm, wife had not eaten so ended up cooking her a snack. Then, this morning whilst my wife went for a run I had to feed the 2 older kids (8 and 6) and then feed the baby (8 months). Then... I made my wife her post run meal so some sweet potato slices with mushrooms and grass fed steak (argghhhhh).

I just have to fit this around the family so exposure to food is tricky and really, whilst the wife knows and understands what I am doing the kids are too young and I don't want them to be weird about food. Hopefully, if they eat better than us growing up then they won't have these kind of problems when they are older eh.

At about 44 hours now I figure, think I ate last around 6pm on Monday (quite a feast) so looking forward to hitting the gym and getting fed. I have a piece of pastured pork slow roasting in the oven at home so my meaty post fast snack is ready and waiting.

My overall goal is to do the 48's to just kick me past this plateau and long term just go back to a 16/8 system and essentially skip breakfast. Probably then throw the occasional 24 or 48 in as and when (make up for or prepare for over indulgences etc).

I am off now, going to stop thinking about it and focus on work for a while to get this day done and dusted. Will report back tomorrow with how it ended up.

Take care!

Right, so that was easier than the first time overall. Strangely, I felt hungry and nearly ate at around the 44 hour mark but when I got through that I pushed on and trained at about 48 hours for 2 hours. Very casual weight session with a buddy so not 2 hours of hardcore exercise. Basically did some squats, deadlifts, chins and bench press. Then, ate dinner, took my eating slowly and snacked whilst making dinner.

Basically felt fine. Two down.

Out of interest, how are other folks combining this with other IF? is anyone doing a 20 hour daily as suggested in part 2 and then doing this once a week (or every couple of weeks) or are you just doing this?

I likely intend to do a 48 on Monday Tuesday and a 24 on Friday but would welcome any comments from other folks who have been doing this for a while.

Marcus

Mark7 is offline Junior Member
    i am currently, where life allows, fasting 3 times a week for 30-36 hours each fast. important for me is waking up and going to bed consuming a tiny amount of calories during the day. Then to rise the next morning to eat.

The tiny calories come from coffee and a nibble of sauerkraut i consume to keep my GI good during the lack of food.

i personally love fasting and eat for the sake of eating when i break the fast as i don't really get hungry. if i wasn't so scared of muscle loss i would try and just fast until my body told me it was hungry. Maybe i will try this anyway.

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast