Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 26

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions, as they are often not fermented, but rather use chemicals to achieve the texture, taste, and "mouth feel" of the lacto-fermented versions. Lacto fermentation alters the carbohydrate makeup of the cabbage, as the fermentation bacteria use the available carbs as an energy substrate. Chemical soup manufacturing of sauerkraut ... not so much.

-PK
    Having said all of that, though ... cabbage is a really benign form of carbohydrate as it is mostly fiber.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    PK, I know you said you needed some time to respond to the IF and IBS issue, but I'm wondering if you saw my following post, #226. It may be out of your realm of expertise, so if you don't have an opinion about it, that's fine, but since I posted it during the SPAM-onslaught, I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    PK, I know you said you needed some time to respond to the IF and IBS issue, but I'm wondering if you saw my following post, #226. It may be out of your realm of expertise, so if you don't have an opinion about it, that's fine, but since I posted it during the SPAM-onslaught, I think it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.
    Right you are, I did miss your post. I did a quick scan and it sounds like a reply requires a bit of research on my part. Let's see what we come up with!

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Having said all of that, though ... cabbage is a really benign form of carbohydrate as it is mostly fiber.

-PK
    That is good to know. I dont mind it. I even put a little CO in my kraut. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing.

I am going for 48. My brain is preoccupied with what I need to be doing to reach my goals, as far as food goes..... so I am hoping that doesnt adversely affect me. I think part of when I went primal, I started eating more beef and less fish. And less chicken also. If beef was leftover in the frig, I would grab it instead of fixing salmon. So that is some place for me to try and see if it helps. I take a fish oil, but I need to be eating the fish.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Inksplat is offline Member
    When it comes to counting cooking oil/fat..how exactly do you account for the fat still in the pan at the end of cooking? Or do you just add the full amount of calories from the original amount of fat added and just accept that you're overshooting by a handful of calories?

Edit: Asking because I've pretty much stalled, and its only my 3rd week, which has never happened before. So it seems like maybe I need start really counting my calories. And there are certain aspects of it that seem impossible to do reasonably.
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Right you are, I did miss your post. I did a quick scan and it sounds like a reply requires a bit of research on my part. Let's see what we come up with!

-PK
    Thanks! I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    When it comes to counting cooking oil/fat..how exactly do you account for the fat still in the pan at the end of cooking? Or do you just add the full amount of calories from the original amount of fat added and just accept that you're overshooting by a handful of calories?
    I dont usually have much left so I divide it amongst however many pieces were in there.

Does anyone get Dr. Weil's newsletters? It is interesting today. About how sumo wrestlers eat and gain weight. By eating once a day and their fat-burning switch doesnt get much ON time. But he also says it is high-carb and many 1000's of calories. So he says if you dont want to gain weight like a sumo, to do the opposite. He does go on to say to eat from the Four Food Groups - Food you can hunt, fish, gather, or pluck.

double post again, sorry. not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am going for 48. My brain is preoccupied with what I need to be doing to reach my goals, as far as food goes..... so I am hoping that doesnt adversely affect me.
    Well, I didnt make 48, didnt make 24 even. Made it about 23 and realized how grouchy I was getting. The kids were extra on my nerves and since they are leaving in a few days, I decided it was in everyone's best interest if I ate some supper. I ended my day with around 800 calories. I wasnt as hungry as I thought I would be last night, but I woke up to a growling tummy which I usually dont.

So since I peaked last Friday (after a new low I finally reached just 5 days before) I have lost 4.4 pounds. I learned that the occasional pizza is just bad news for me, at least during this phase. I learned that fasting helps get me back on track, but I lose a week of forward progess as a result of a few days of bad choices.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Well, I didnt make 48, didnt make 24 even. Made it about 23 and realized how grouchy I was getting. The kids were extra on my nerves and since they are leaving in a few days, I decided it was in everyone's best interest if I ate some supper. I ended my day with around 800 calories. I wasnt as hungry as I thought I would be last night, but I woke up to a growling tummy which I usually dont.

So since I peaked last Friday (after a new low I finally reached just 5 days before) I have lost 4.4 pounds. I learned that the occasional pizza is just bad news for me, at least during this phase. I learned that fasting helps get me back on track, but I lose a week of forward progess as a result of a few days of bad choices.
    First full day and getting to bed is always the worse when your going for a bit longer of a fast.

Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast