Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 25

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFocus View Post
    Thanks PK!

I was reading this guy's success story, Jay Wright, the other day and what jumped out at me was his IF protocol which is exactly as you suggest, one meal daily with weekly 48 hour fasts. For him at least, calories mattered as he restricted those as well... He had impressive results.

Later!
    That Perfect Health Diet is the place that talks about using fermented veggies while "fasting".
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PrimalFocus is offline Member
    Possibly, can you point us to the reference on the site? If memory serves me, PHD doesn't recommend fasting per se, this guy just happened to choose to do it while also incorporating elements of the PHD diet. Probably a good lesson for all of us, find what works for you...

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That Perfect Health Diet is the place that talks about using fermented veggies while "fasting".

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Possibly, can you point us to the reference on the site? If memory serves me, PHD doesn't recommend fasting per se, this guy just happened to choose to do it while also incorporating elements of the PHD diet. Probably a good lesson for all of us, find what works for you...
    Look at pg 245-248 of the PHD book for some of their fasting advice (which I don't follow)

Sure they do....they just call it herbivore days . They like to only skip protein and carbs on fast days (they like veggies as fiber). But, essentially they recommend taking x amount of days a week/month/year and doing a ketogenic fast. For that time it is recommended to eat huge amounts of coconut oil (the jaminets have this incurable fear of running out of glucose) to get ketones, and you may incorporate fermented vegetables cause they think all vegetables count as fiber rather than the carbs they may contain.

For anything up to 48 or probably even more hours I think their fears are unfounded.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.

I guess it is in the book, which I do not have but I got that info when I followed a post from MDA over to this guy. Intermittent Fasting – The No Hunger Method

He states the following:
    Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:

Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.

If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.
    ... yada yada
    Last edited by gopintos; 07-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Anyways, my point was not to endorse the PHD diet, I like to find success stories and have a look at what made them successful (in their own words). In the case of the example cited, looks like IF and calorie restriction had as much to do with it as whatever elements of the PHD he followed. If you want to debate aspects of PHD, this old thread might be the one to resurrect :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15007.html

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Look at pg 245-248 of the PHD book for some of their fasting advice (which I don't follow)

Sure they do....they just call it herbivore days . They like to only skip protein and carbs on fast days (they like veggies as fiber). But, essentially they recommend taking x amount of days a week/month/year and doing a ketogenic fast. For that time it is recommended to eat huge amounts of coconut oil (the jaminets have this incurable fear of running out of glucose) to get ketones, and you may incorporate fermented vegetables cause they think all vegetables count as fiber rather than the carbs they may contain.

For anything up to 48 or probably even more hours I think their fears are unfounded.

I was going to give it a try. I bought some cabbage, but knew it would take awhile to ferment, so I bought some sauerkraut also. It did help me to get past my 24, which is what I could never manage to get past. I think I went 36 that time, and then grandkids or something happened.

Anyways... I need to try it again. I love reading success stories also! I can't wait to read mine some day

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    .....If you want to debate aspects of PHD, this old thread might be the one to resurrect :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15007.html
    Na, I'm good. I saw a "cite needed" sign in your post and responded for YOU....that's all.

To the matter at hand I had a huge liver dinner with beef roast and lots of butter and about 1.5 cups of veggies today. The .5 was a home fermented mix. I highly recommend incorporating home ferments daily if you can.

Cool, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Na, I'm good. I saw a "cite needed" sign in your post and responded for YOU....that's all.

To the matter at hand I had a huge liver dinner with beef roast and lots of butter and about 1.5 cups of veggies today. The .5 was a home fermented mix. I highly recommend incorporating home ferments daily if you can.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I bought some cabbage, but knew it would take awhile to ferment, so I bought some sauerkraut also.
    You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions, as they are often not fermented, but rather use chemicals to achieve the texture, taste, and "mouth feel" of the lacto-fermented versions. Lacto fermentation alters the carbohydrate makeup of the cabbage, as the fermentation bacteria use the available carbs as an energy substrate. Chemical soup manufacturing of sauerkraut ... not so much.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    You need to be careful with sauerkraut if you are buying commercially prepared versions
    KO, thanks. I wondered about it. The first time I had it, it helped me to get to about 36. Seemed like next time, it just made me hungrier sooner :P

I only did a 12 or so yesterday morning. Scale is down .4

That whole CICO thread had me thinking about my fasting and all. Seems like I am figuring out that I do better if I can just not eat any breakfast at all. That is my n=1. The BP coffee helps me. Cream might do the same, that will be my next N=1. Then my next n=1 will be just coffee. But I think I have learned that I have more trouble keeping my calories in check - I am just hungrier during the day if I eat anything -regardless how much or how little - before about 16 hours.

Some dont like the CO & butter calories in the coffee. But if I have those 200 first thing, it saves me about 200 - 500 over the course of the day. I dont have that to wash down my steak & eggs & whatever else. It is a stand alone.

I havent been very active either. Swimming & frisbee golf here and there, but nothing to write home about. There are just so many variables at any give time. My mind is sort of jumbled thinking about it this morning. Just trying to find my way. My grandkids will be gone Saturday. Then one week until vacation. Maybe I can think more clearly after the kids are gone.

I think I am just disappointed in myself, that I didnt reach my goal for vacation. This has been a crazy month for sure. And as it sits right now, I am ending it where I started.

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast