Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 20

PrimalFocus is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

Any testimonials from those following PK's protocol? Tip/tricks for adjusting to the schedule?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PrimalFocus; 07-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFocus View Post
    Hi,

Any testimonials from those following Pklopp's protocol? Tip/tricks for adjusting to the schedule?

Thanks!
    I would love to know as well!

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

LessThanZero is offline Member
    Still eating once per day here. I love it. It's a waste of time eating in the middle of the day and it make me slow/stupid

Easiest way to adjust is to push out breakfast until you're not eating it anymore (you'll find that if you really think about it, you're not hungry at breakfast anyways).

Lunch is the hard one. It's almost more of a social thing and you'll be "weird" for not eating with everyone else. Even weirder is that other people are uncomfortable eating in front of you when you're not...even when you're not hungry. <chuckle> You have to just push it all aside and do what's best for you and not everyone else.

oh, second day of fasting is easier than the first.

Let's see...oh, push through when your stomach gets tight/upset/cramped/growly/shrinking, etc. That hunger you think you feel will pass in a minute and after it goes away, you're not as fat as you were a few minutes ago.

I've maintained my weight (and lost a crapload) pretty easily doing this. I won a smallish weight-loss contest where I was immediately disrespected for 'starving' myself (despite being stronger at the same time).

PK, again...thank you for all of the great advice. Now I need to get up off my lazy butt and get into even better shape. I still have about 25 pounds to lose or so (my own fault for stalling/gaining that bit back), but you've given me so much more than just weight loss; you gave me time. Not one other person in my life has ever given me time.

oooh....I see you have a blog! Adding your blog to my read list. You're on my short list of folks who gave me so much of my life back.

-Josh

I already skip breakfast, this just comes naturally to me. I have never been a big breakfast eater. My primary concern is really just that I won't be able to ingest enough calories in one sitting. That being said, my goal is weight loss so I guess if I create too large a deficit I will know from too rapid a loss and rabid hunger the next day. I also fret over what to do with offers to have lunch...

LessThanZero, how much did you lose and over what time frame following PK's protocol?

Thanks!

otzi Guest
    Here are my IF observations. (46yo/M/5'11/168lbs).

I have been following a 16/8 eating schedule for about a year. My weight stabilized at about 168 nearly 6 months ago. After reading Mark's fasting posts How Fasting Aids Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple a few months back, I decided to add in a weekly full day fast. So, every week for the past 3 months, I have stopped eating on Wednesday at 6pm and not eaten again until Friday at noon, a 42 hour fast roughly.

Before the fast, and upon completion, I am very cognizant not to eat more than I normally would for the given meal. This should be taking about 2500 calories out of the equation weekly. In the CICO sense, I should have lost about 1.5 pounds every 2 weeks on this schedule. In fact, I have not lost any weight eating like this, but meticulous weighing shows a very repeatable trend:

Weight after last meal - 171
    Weight upon waking next morning - 168
    Weight after 24 hours of fasting - 166
    Weight after 42 hours fasting - 164
    Weight after eating normally 24 hours - 168 - 171

It appears the long fast depletes you of hydration and maybe glycogen (water weight), but the fat loss doesn't seem to follow the "3500 cals=1 pound of fat" that is often touted. Basically, skipping an entire day's caloric intake causes me to lose about 4% of my total weight, which I quickly regain about 12 hours upon resumption of normal eating.

According to Mark, the health benefits of a periodic fast like this far outweigh the fat loss potential, so I will keep doing it. I find myself more in control of my hunger since I started this and my weight is very stable.

I lost it fast...er quickly. <snicker> I've lost about 135 total (went from over 300 to about 164...put some back on because I became weak for sugar and my family ruthlessly buys crap still)

Weight loss is a funny thing and fasting will put it into perspective a bit for you too. When you weigh yourself, you'll find that your weight can fluctuate by a LOT each day. It has to do a lot with how hydrated you are and how much glycogen you're toting around. I find that my "loaded weight" vs. my "fasted weight" varies by about 8-9 pounds.

That being said, I was losing about 8-12 pounds of fat per month...so about 2-3 pounds per week. If you throw a 40hour fast in there, you will, no BS...lose most of your week's weight in that period of time.

I should prob disclaim this and that N=1 experimentation is by no means across the board.

I should also say that my insulin sensitivity was through the roof at my Jan blood work. I should prob just find it and post it (I did my test on the end of a two day fast). When I did my bloodwork, I asked for the more expensive cholesterol test because I knew that my LDL was going to be elevated and I wanted to be prepared for the argument:

Glucose: 80
    LP-IR score of "5" (of 100; desired <=45...type2 @ 65)
    My triglyceride to HDL ratio was .78. My previous ratio was 1.8 (seven months prior)

oh...here, I can attach it. That'd prob be easier.

OH, check this out too...this is my PB album for a weight loss contest (I won one of the rounds). You can kinda get an idea with dates of what I weighed and when. I lost most weight prior to fasting, but these pics in this album are pretty close to when I started fasting. Some of these weeks you'll see me lose a LOT of weight in one shot...that's what happens when you go from loaded to fasted and lose a little fat in there too.

Weight Loss pictures by corporateservitude - Photobucket

219 on 6/27/11 - 164 on 1/6/12

I guess I could have given that last line as the answer to your question, but I figure I'll keep tacking on all of the details I can so more people will try this out.

If everyone felt like I felt, the world would be a different place. I used wonder how mankind got to where we are today with all of the (ahem) stupids/lazies out there. Now I understand how we're supposed to be and why we've been 'culled'. We'd be quite dangerous if we were all as alert and powerful as I feel on a day to day basis.

If you're reading this and wondering if you should try it out...I strongly encourage you to give it a go. It's fun being "weird" and you'll feel better for it. Wait until you experience Ghrelin...the rush comes after your stomach growls.

-Josh

Fascinating, the last two posts are almost opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of experience as it relates to weight loss and fasting.

Inksplat is offline Member
    I'm currently doing a 19/5 (Fast5, as the cool kids call it), but the only reason I don't eat just a single meal is that I'm not sure I could eat enough food in one meal. But I'll probably give it a go at some point, since having to eat within a window is almost as much of a pain as having to eat 3 meals a day sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFocus View Post
    Fascinating, the last two posts are almost opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of experience as it relates to weight loss and fasting.
    That's pretty normal from my experience; it highlights what I'm talking about regarding your "loaded" and "fasted" weight differences.

I'm a 38 year old 5'7" male if anyone is keeping track.

Hi,

Pushed lunch to 2pm without issue. Was considering pushing it further but thought better of it per PK's advise to ease into it.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast