Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 18

MasterB is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I always skip supplements until the fast is broken.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Vitamins would've only entered a Grok's system when eating, so my supps only go with my meals, never in between.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. Vitamins would've only entered a Grok's system when eating, so my supps only go with my meals, never in between.
    Good Call everyone! I don't think my body would shut down if I skip one day of supplements.

Nocciola is offline Member
    I'm trying my first extended (beyond 24 hr) fast - last meal finished around 9 on Sunday, just a large coffee yesterday morning, one this morning, and plain unsweetened green tea and water. I feel fine - walked 5 miles yesterday (getting point a to point b) and sat through a roomate's extremely delicious smelling thai takeout fest, but it is definitely easier today...glad I did it! will see how results play out over the course of the week. I definitely would not do this all that often but if it is effective in addition to the usual 18-20 hr fasts, I'd do it once every other week maybe.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LessThanZero View Post
    that's what I do I figure one day without supplements isn't going to be the end of me.

<0
    The amount of energy to be derived from supplements is negligible. We're probably talking about handful of grams at most, which I would not expect would have any effect on your metabolic state. If such trivial amounts of energy intake were to affect your fast, they would do so via the action of insulin. If your insulin response were that sensitive, you would effectively knock yourself into a diabetic coma by eating a small amount of food, as your body would produce a disproportionately large amount of insulin which would induce all insulin sensitive tissues to start draining glucose from the blood stream, leading to severe hypoglycemia.

If we are speaking of oil based supplements, then there is little need to worry, as lipids do not elicit any insulin response.

In the end, taking or not taking supplements during your fast to me is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I mainly do it because if I ingest anything besides water or tea I feel hungry. Probably just a psychological thing, but I have tried it a few times and it works. Well, for me at least.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I had been meaning to get into a habit of IF'ing over the summer (just a 16 hour) but found it really difficult, and now that I'm back at school I've fallen into the practice effortlessly. On my move-in day I just didn't have time to eat til dinner, which gave me a 26 hour fast (my friends thought it was nuts that I hadn't eaten anything yet that day, and tried to give me their packaged snacks). All through the weekend I had trainings and just ate a lunch and dinner that were sparse in comparison to my usual meals and also with a 16-18 hour fast. Yesterday I got up early and played around with barbell lifts at the gym (fun!) and did some agility drills. I planned to eat around 11, but I started hanging out with friends and didn't sit down to eat until 9 that evening, so another 26 hour fast. I didn't even feel like eating. My friends only eat junk between meals so it's easy to say no.

I'm happy that this is happening so easily since I had packed on more than a few pounds last year for stress (and stress eating) related reasons, but it's just wigging me out that it feels soooo easy. I just don't get hungry... at least not the sort of hungry that makes me actually want to go get something to eat, if that makes sense. I'm just feeling a little superhuman and wanted to share this somewhere. If I told my friends they would think I "had a problem."

Thanks if you read all that... so I'm wondering: I'd like to fit into all of my old pants again. I'm a 21 year old female. How often is it OK to do a day-long fast? And will my whole schedule just sort of implode one day if I'm not eating enough at my one-to-two meals, or will I just see some weight loss with no real adverse effects? So far I feel great, but I have not counted calories, but am quite sure I'm eating far below the amount recommended for my size.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I had been meaning to get into a habit of IF'ing over the summer (just a 16 hour) but found it really difficult, and now that I'm back at school I've fallen into the practice effortlessly. On my move-in day I just didn't have time to eat til dinner, which gave me a 26 hour fast (my friends thought it was nuts that I hadn't eaten anything yet that day, and tried to give me their packaged snacks). All through the weekend I had trainings and just ate a lunch and dinner that were sparse in comparison to my usual meals and also with a 16-18 hour fast. Yesterday I got up early and played around with barbell lifts at the gym (fun!) and did some agility drills. I planned to eat around 11, but I started hanging out with friends and didn't sit down to eat until 9 that evening, so another 26 hour fast. I didn't even feel like eating. My friends only eat junk between meals so it's easy to say no.

I'm happy that this is happening so easily since I had packed on more than a few pounds last year for stress (and stress eating) related reasons, but it's just wigging me out that it feels soooo easy. I just don't get hungry... at least not the sort of hungry that makes me actually want to go get something to eat, if that makes sense. I'm just feeling a little superhuman and wanted to share this somewhere. If I told my friends they would think I "had a problem."

Thanks if you read all that... so I'm wondering: I'd like to fit into all of my old pants again. I'm a 21 year old female. How often is it OK to do a day-long fast? And will my whole schedule just sort of implode one day if I'm not eating enough at my one-to-two meals, or will I just see some weight loss with no real adverse effects? So far I feel great, but I have not counted calories, but am quite sure I'm eating far below the amount recommended for my size.
    Way to go! I'm a 25 yr old female, and I do 24hour fasts everyday. I'm just not hungery during the day, and with my schedule (2 jobs and raising a 6 year old on my own) it's just so much easier just to worry about eating at night. You're right people think we have a problem if we say something about only eating once a day. I just find that if you don't mention it, they won't notice. I've been eating only 1 large meal a day for about 4 weeks now, and just recently (this week) incorporated a 43hr fast. I had dinner Sunday night, and then didn't eat again until Tuesday late afternoon. I never felt better! I'm losing weight effortlessly, with only walking right now as my exercise. And did I mention... it saves on the grocery bills?!?!
    Last edited by croí; 08-31-2011 at 06:34 AM.

dado Guest
    If you burn some ganj on a fast, does this affect the fast?

LessThanZero is offline Member
    <shifts eyes from side to side>

I lose a lot of weight still. What I've been really curious about is how the hunger affects Ghrelin output. The 'high' from my fasting is comparable/better than that of the vice; enough that I've reduced consumption considerably. What I've not been able to discern is whether or not this is from Ghrelin or because thc is stored in fat cells and oxidizing the fat is also bringing the thc into the bloodstream again.

So, have I always been experiencing Ghrelin when I suppress the munchies, but it was present with an additional high so it wasn't noticed?
    Is my Ghrelin high enhanced by freeing the thc from my fat cells?

Am I just overthinking this entire thing?

<deep thoughts>

<0

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to hear that things are working out so well for you. I've found that when I first tell people about the fact that I fast, their reactions tend to be similar to what I might expect if I had just revealed that I was a Satanist and about to head to the nearest tattoo parlor to get a pentagram on my forehead. Generally, however, these kinds of conversations are initiated by others ... I do not run around accosting people on sidewalks proselytizing fasting. This means that there is something about me that prompts them to ask about my diet and training. This inevitably leads to a significant degree of cognitive dissonance as people try to reconcile the way that I look with their belief that I am starving myself. The truly fascinating thing to me is that as I stand in front of them, there is a not insignificant proportion of people that will reject the evidence presented by their senses in order to preserve their dogmatic conviction that fasting is starvation.

I've been intermittent fasting for three years now, and I don't foresee stopping, barring some catastrophic event. Your body will achieve an equilibrium and sort things out. Calories recommended for someone with your BMI are generally based on so many assumptions to be practically meaningless. If your body can make up for any caloric deficit with stored adipose energy, it will do so, and you will lose weight. Eventually, you will draw down your adipose energy store, and your body will respond by either lowering your basal metabolic rate so that you don't require as much energy, or by increasing your appetite via the leptin feedback loop so that you will naturally eat more. Since you are female, you also have a great feedback mechanism in terms of your menstrual cycle. If it is business as usual, then you can safely assume that metabolically you are fine. If you start noticing changes, you might want to pay attention and reevaluate.

For what it's worth, during the last 3 years of IF, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've counted calories, and even then, it was only for the sake of curiosity rather than to set a target.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast