Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 13

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This week I've been doing 22-hour fasts, basically 7:00pm to 5:30pm. First day was no problem. I had my morning tea w/heavy cream and an additional cup at 1:00. I lifted heavy. I ate a decent amount (4 eggs, sauage, cheddar, peppers, and onions and some Greek yogurt and berries). Tuesday, also not too bad. Got through it with few hunger pangs. While I felt like I ate a lot of food over the course of an hour and a half or so, I was hungry when I went to bed. My stomach was growling - loudly. Yesterday was really rough. I was watching the clock for the last 3 hours. I almost didn't make it. I'm hoping this isn't a trend and that it will get easier, rather than more difficult. My plan was to do this during the week, then go back to my usual two meals + snack on the weekends. Is this going to mess me up?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've been slowly extending my fast, yesterday I ate around 3pm (my usual was always 1pm for several months) but I'm still really struggling with "post workout" nutrition, especially now that I'm generally upping my good carbs (I had a long period of eating a VLC diet) and I'm trying to get starches in almost daily. However, I'm also trying to experiment with carb-cyling, specifically I'm trying to eat a lot of good primal carbs on mondays and fridays when I'm doing heavy lifting. I also am trying to get into the habit of religiously sprinting every wednesday morning. I'm struggling with the notion of depriving (bad word?) my body of food/nutrients for many hours post workout since I usually workout in the mornings and I'm not used to fasting past 5 or even worse exercising at 5pm and eating my first meal right after that. I tried it once and the workout was so-so and I wasn't hungry right away despite not eating all day but it just didn't feel "right" so I didn't try it again.

I've settled, for now, into eating my usual 1pm meal on mon/wed/fri and if I feel like it, extending the fast on rest days. I know fasting isn't a primal requirement, but I don't feel hunger in the morning until early afternoon, I only feel hunger earlier if I eat breakfast (funny how that works out) so fasting is something that comes very easy to me, it's only psychologically that it gets difficult because through years of reading about eating IMMEDIATELY pwo I still hold some of those notions, even if I've read stuff to the contrary.

How are some of you other heavy lifters dealing with that? I think it'd be easier if I could workout and then eat after, but like I said before since I work 8-5 and don't want to have breakfast (not hungry) it's tough to make it till 5-6pm with enough energy for a proper workout.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I've been slowly extending my fast, yesterday I ate around 3pm (my usual was always 1pm for several months) but I'm still really struggling with "post workout" nutrition, especially now that I'm generally upping my good carbs (I had a long period of eating a VLC diet) and I'm trying to get starches in almost daily. However, I'm also trying to experiment with carb-cyling, specifically I'm trying to eat a lot of good primal carbs on mondays and fridays when I'm doing heavy lifting. I also am trying to get into the habit of religiously sprinting every wednesday morning. I'm struggling with the notion of depriving (bad word?) my body of food/nutrients for many hours post workout since I usually workout in the mornings and I'm not used to fasting past 5 or even worse exercising at 5pm and eating my first meal right after that. I tried it once and the workout was so-so and I wasn't hungry right away despite not eating all day but it just didn't feel "right" so I didn't try it again.

I've settled, for now, into eating my usual 1pm meal on mon/wed/fri and if I feel like it, extending the fast on rest days. I know fasting isn't a primal requirement, but I don't feel hunger in the morning until early afternoon, I only feel hunger earlier if I eat breakfast (funny how that works out) so fasting is something that comes very easy to me, it's only psychologically that it gets difficult because through years of reading about eating IMMEDIATELY pwo I still hold some of those notions, even if I've read stuff to the contrary.

How are some of you other heavy lifters dealing with that? I think it'd be easier if I could workout and then eat after, but like I said before since I work 8-5 and don't want to have breakfast (not hungry) it's tough to make it till 5-6pm with enough energy for a proper workout.
    EDIT: I should note that I take BCAA before and 2 hours after my workouts mon/wed/fri ... I'm not sure if it helps physically (I mean, it's supposed to, but still...) but it does help psychologically because I feel like I'm giving my body the amino acids that it supposedly needs PWO, my issue mostly has to deal with the carbs that I'm trying to cycle as they're supposed to be BECAUSE of the workouts, and I'm not sure that if eating them late defeats the purpose if my body is like "you dolt, I needed those 4 hours ago!" shit, too much information hurts my brain.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    It seems like some of you are doing a fair amount of calorie restriction and eating one meal (or a small window like 2 hours) a day. That is going to be a lot harder to maintain in the long run and will likely resort to binge eating (stopping the fast).

I have am now into the second week into doing mostly 20 hour fasts, However, when I eat dinner I don't mess around. I don't count calories but I doubt that I am on a "diet" as my house guest can attest. Feat and famine for sure.

Even without losing weight, there are great benefits mentally and physically to eating like this. Adding in an occasional 40 hour fast will naturally put you in a net calorie deficit without much thought and that will spur some weight loss. I do think that not eating at times is a healthy way to live. I tell myself a little hunger is a good thing to have everyday. I think we have it ingrained in us that it is bad to be hungry.

That is my thoughts anyway.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Iniquity, have you actually tried 16/8 and stuck with it for a while? Extending fasts is a bad idea. What I do is eat a mostly protetin meal (about 500 cals) when I break my fast at 1pm. Workout at 5, eat a huge meal with carbs at 7. Be consistent with the fasting times and eating window. I would also go to bb.com and read their huge thread on leangains.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    It seems like some of you are doing a fair amount of calorie restriction and eating one meal (or a small window like 2 hours) a day. That is going to be a lot harder to maintain in the long run and will likely resort to binge eating (stopping the fast).

I have am now into the second week into doing mostly 20 hour fasts, However, when I eat dinner I don't mess around. I don't count calories but I doubt that I am on a "diet" as my house guest can attest. Feat and famine for sure.

Even without losing weight, there are great benefits mentally and physically to eating like this. Adding in an occasional 40 hour fast will naturally put you in a net calorie deficit without much thought and that will spur some weight loss. I do think that not eating at times is a healthy way to live. I tell myself a little hunger is a good thing to have everyday. I think we have it ingrained in us that it is bad to be hungry.

That is my thoughts anyway.
    Eating one meal a day is a 20 hour fast no different from yours if you read the digestion hours talked about. Yep, just like you.

I don't restrict, I don't count calories. I eat until I am more than full. I know that I have to to get what I require. I believe most doing a 20 hour fast are the same and are eating to satiety or more.

So really, that doesn't make us any more prone to binging than it does you. It is agreed that those prone to binges should probably not IF in the first place unless or until they can get that under control.

Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Iniquity, have you actually tried 16/8 and stuck with it for a while? Extending fasts is a bad idea. What I do is eat a mostly protetin meal (about 500 cals) when I break my fast at 1pm. Workout at 5, eat a huge meal with carbs at 7. Be consistent with the fasting times and eating window. I would also go to bb.com and read their huge thread on leangains.
    Yeah I did 16/8 for many months actually. I’m assuming I was still over-eating but I find that hard to believe. Unlike you though I would workout in the morning, around 7 or so, then eat at one, then again usually around 6 or 7pm, rinse and repeat. That was one of the protocols, looks like you were doing the “one pre-workout meal” one, while I was following the “early morning fasted workout” approach.

However, what I did NOT do back then is cycle carbs as per Martin’s suggestion, nor did I do compound lifts, so as you can see there were many holes in my approach to Leangains. I mostly took the fasting window and decided I wanted to keep my workouts as they were (having no access to a gym) I did do weighted chins/dips but had to get creative for other lifts. I think it’s very possible that the lack of deadlifts/squats played a part. I’m reading his original thread at bb.com now…

I do have a weight set now and have started adding deads and zercher squats (no squat rack so rather not put heavy loads on my back in case I fuck it up)

I think now that the weather is nice maybe I’ll try working out in the afternoon and eating a heavy carb meal soon after, sounds like that could kill two birds with one stone: I get my pwo carbs, and enjoy an eating window I’m used to. Thanks!
    Last edited by iniQuity; 05-05-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    One thing that has not happened is improved sleep. In bed at 9:30 with hopes of sleeping by 10 pm and end up rolling around until 1am. Up at 6am. Maybe not IF, maybe just life in general is causing this. Mg has not helped.
    Are you taking Vitamin D later in the day, with your 7pm meal?

This was messing my sleep up, so I now take mine in the morning with my tea. There is a negligible amount of gelatin in the caps, so I'm not so concerned about losing fasting benefits.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing no dinner this week and from last night until today going 24 hrs. Why is it bad to extend the fast one day?

RezH is offline Senior Member
    It depends on goals, but fasting longer than 16-18 hours doesn't add that many benefits (per leangains). Talking about every day fasting. I chose the 16/8 protocol over something like ESE (two 24 hour fasts weekly), but that also works for fat loss. But I couldn't handle 24 hours.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast