Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 3 ) page 11

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Best workout time (strength training) is 5-6 pm if you have a normal schedule.

I've been doing IF for six weeks and continue to drop weight, now down to 9%. You guys really need to look into leangains a bit more in depth. Cycle your carbs and eat an overall deficit and you should keep losing.
    That's not what I mean. If someone is fasting for 40 hours, when during the 40 hour period is best to workout?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Best workout time (strength training) is 5-6 pm if you have a normal schedule.

I've been doing IF for six weeks and continue to drop weight, now down to 9%. You guys really need to look into leangains a bit more in depth. Cycle your carbs and eat an overall deficit and you should keep losing.
    Could you explain what you mean by normal schedule? I’m assuming you’re referring to working 8-5?

In your scenario though, when are you eating, only post workout? That would mean you are fasted all the way up to your workout, correct?

That’s sort of what I plan on doing for two weeks or so to test it out but I wonder if I can consistently make it that late without eating. I’m so used to breaking fast at 1pm that I get very hungry around that time.

My plan for the next two weeks though is to go back to MY basics, this means: LHT 2x/week in the morning with BCAA before/after and breaking fast at 1-2pm. Sprinting 1x also in the morning. After that I might try to extend the fast till after work, but I’m not sure where to place the workout, especially if I’m going higher carb on workout days – does going higher carb as per Leangains still make sense if you’re not eating until 9-10 hrs post workout? Meaning, do your muscles still reap benefit, or are you doing the carbs only to re-fill glycogen?

From Leangains.com

One pre-workout meal

This is the most common setup for my younger clients that are still in college or have flexible working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Pre-workout meal. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    3-4 PM: Training should happen a few hours after the pre-workout meal.
    4-5 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
    8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.
    That’s what I was doing for a time. I wouldn’t work out in the mornings but I would still fast, break fast at 1pm, then workout when I got home (roughtly 4-5hrs after eating, though not fully fasted if what pklopp is saying is true regarding normal digestion time of 4-5 hrs) then I would eat afterwards, and maybe twice.

I guess there’s a lot of different routes, but I’m interested in hearing more about you guys’ schedules. Perhaps we should start a thread so as to not clutter this one?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I'm all for starting a thread, iniQuity. For anyone who's interested, here's a breif rundown of my normal scehdule:

0700: Wakeup!
    1600 - 1700: Workout (10g BCAA before workout)
    1800: EAT (Lots of potatoes/sweet potatoes + lean meat)
    2100 - 2200: Second meal if I feel like it (fattier meat + eggs + veggies + bone broth)

So a 6 hour-ish eating window and fasted (discounting BCAAs) workouts at ~19 hours into the fast.

For a while I was also following the schedule that iniQuity quotes above (eating lunch around noon), but I don't think this pre-workout meal helped me, performance or body composition-wise. Once you get used to skipping lunch, hunger is totally not an issue.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    That's not what I mean. If someone is fasting for 40 hours, when during the 40 hour period is best to workout?
    I've done a couple of 40's and train the 2nd day in the a.m. then break the fast that evening. Seems to be working out so far.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I'm all for starting a thread, iniQuity. For anyone who's interested, here's a breif rundown of my normal scehdule:

0700: Wakeup!
    1600 - 1700: Workout (10g BCAA before workout)
    1800: EAT (Lots of potatoes/sweet potatoes + lean meat)
    2100 - 2200: Second meal if I feel like it (fattier meat + eggs + veggies + bone broth)

So a 6 hour-ish eating window and fasted (discounting BCAAs) workouts at ~19 hours into the fast.

For a while I was also following the schedule that iniQuity quotes above (eating lunch around noon), but I don't think this pre-workout meal helped me, performance or body composition-wise. Once you get used to skipping lunch, hunger is totally not an issue.
    I’ve done this before by accident, only I’m usually not able to begin a workout until 5:30pm earliest due to work. It’s the lunch hunger that is a little hard to get past. I do plan on giving this a go sometime next week.

I once tried, but I only did one meal a day which I think for me wasn’t enough. I think I only ate to satiety, but it wasn’t enough to support me and I felt pretty bad only 2-3 days into it. This time around a 2 meal deal works best. Only other issue is I often bring food my mom made the previous day as it saves me cooking time, but I was brought up to not let food go to waste and if I were to just bring it back uneaten consistently she would become worried. Yeah I’m old enough to make my own decisions, especially informed ones such as this one, but that can be hard to convey to your folks, especially when they know diddly about fasting. I’d have to find a work-around for that one.

spascarella is offline Member
    I did my first 40 hour fast last week and made it with no problem. I've been doing 24 hour fasts but was interested in seeing if I could do the longer one after reading the IF threads. I originally started fasting after reading Pilon's Eat Stop Eat ebook.

Made sure I drank a decent amount of water along with some black coffee and tea.

Started my 2nd 40 hour fast last night and am 17 hours into it. I tend to get a lot more done at work the days I'm fasting!!

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Tonight after dinner starts my first 40 hr fast. I do the "16/8" protocol (although it's usually closer to 18/6) with two meals a day. I also do one to two 24 hr fasts a week. However, I have to say I'm nervous about this. My main concern is the window of dinner time tomorrow night until bedtime. I know that I can make it to dinner just fine as I do it every week but I am not used to going to bed hungry so I feel like I will be hating life from about 6:30 - 10:30 PM tomorrow. I've read plenty of posts of people who thought it was easy but I'm nervous. At least I know that I won't wake up hungry... Wish me luck!
    Strength and Honor

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I'm very into IF, but I do have my doubts as to whether a sub-1000 calorie daily intake is either beneficial or sustainable. I'm sure it would be good for a short-term fat loss fix, but surely not long-term.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I'm very into IF, but I do have my doubts as to whether a sub-1000 calorie daily intake is either beneficial or sustainable. I'm sure it would be good for a short-term fat loss fix, but surely not long-term.
    I haven't seen that advocated. Although calorie restriction is, generally speaking, healthier than excess calories.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I agree. Given that I only have a pound or two to go, methinks it will be very short-term!

I did end up eating a second meal (because I was scared, lol!) after I posted about my 900 cal meal--totaled out at around 1500 cals. The next day (yesterday), I ate at 1 pm and ate to satiety again. I think it was something like 1200 calories.

Today I broke my fast at 11:30 am and have eaten around 1000 calories and I will see if I am hungry later. I notice I am relaxing more and trusting that if I give my body enough time to use my stored fat, it will self-regulate.

My dog is a great example of this--I make sure his food bowl is never empty and he eats (Primal food!) when he is hungry (once or twice a day) and gets regular, but limited treats. He tends to eat a bit in the early afternoon and more in the evening.

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast