Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long until your body reflects diet changes? page

MichaelH is offline Member

How long until your body reflects diet changes?

Primal Fuel
    Hey - I'm new here!

9 days ago, I was inspired by The Primal Blueprint to make changes to my diet. It's been very agreeable for me, and I have every intention of sticking to it. I'm wondering how long I might see changes in my body.

I'm 5' 10.5" and probably about 175 lbs (just a guess - I don't have a scale. I realize weight isn't that useful, and I'm just trying to convey my physique). I'm relatively trim for American standards, but with a bit more fat than I'd like. I'm more comfortable at 165 lbs, and even then there is no sign of a 6-pack (which is OK by me). I'm currently very sore, as I was inspired to get back into my gym routine (I had let my membership expire for 6 months, but now I'm back).

Prior to this, I was eating sweets everyday (typically 1 chocolate bar), and staples of my diet would include chips, sandwiches, Thai and other "ethnic" food (but not much fast food). I kept from getting too overweight by managing my hunger and not eating late at night.

I made an easy transition to Primal. I'm much less gassy, my acid reflux is gone (!), and I don't suffer from cravings, which is remarkable for someone who had a huge sweet-tooth. I still eat dairy (possibly too much), peanut butter (I will be phasing this out) and there were a couple nights where I had alcohol.

My body doesn't look any different in these 9 days. In the past, I was able to notice changes in my body more quickly. Any insight into how long it typically takes?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    There's a big range. Most folks see changes in 4-6 weeks, others a lot sooner. Give your body more time to adjust and then you can tweak as needed.

zeynep is offline Junior Member
    I used to do South Beach and the results were quick and fantastic. I lost all the weight I wanted with it within a month and a half. So now I'm doing PB and I lost 4.2 pounds in just 5 days already (5.3"-118.4lbs). So far so good!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I have two answers to your question.
    1. I would count a lack of reflux and a significant decrease in gassiness as "changes in your body". In other words, you're already there, experiencing a better life than before. Kudos!
    2. I think you're actually asking when you'll have visibly less fat, right? Given your current levels, I'd say 2-6 weeks is a good range. Maybe on the shorter end of that, if you can avoid the alcohol and keep up with the weights. I know I had noticeable (at least to me) loss in one month's time, and based on your numbers, you should, too.

best of luck!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Take some measurements. I've lost 22 lbs, but I think I'm losing proportionately - i.e., losing from my bust and belly the same, so when I look in the mirror I don't necessarily see the changes even though I'm down two pant sizes. I didn't take measurements when I started so I can't do an accurate comparison.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    The most obvious changes to my physique came at about the 10 week mark. I gained 8 lbs (up to 211) but lost a ton of bodyfat. At 10 weeks I finally started noticing how shirts/pants fit better, people started to comment, etc.

I am down to 20<something>lbs but the fat is continuing to come off at the 20 week mark.
    Last edited by IcarianVX; 04-25-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

h3hound is offline Junior Member
    Your situation sounds similar to mine - body size and diet, anyway.

I love chronic cardio and got back into it several years ago and went from 192 down to 165. I have maintained a range of 165-170 at 5' 10". My 'plateau' has been 165 forever. I wondered why my bodyfat% (and look) didn't reflect all the work I did in training. I cut out grains, processed foods, and refined sugar about 4 weeks ago. I am averaging <100 grams of carbs a day. As of this morning I am down to 160.4, down 6.8lbs, (I record my Monday weigh ins) and, according to the scale, 16.5% BF.

I can tell that the fat is coming off in all other areas except the love handle area. I am sticking with it because I figure that will be that last place to shrink. Something is happening and the key is to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    I have two answers to your question.
    1. I would count a lack of reflux and a significant decrease in gassiness as "changes in your body". In other words, you're already there, experiencing a better life than before. Kudos!
    2. I think you're actually asking when you'll have visibly less fat, right? Given your current levels, I'd say 2-6 weeks is a good range. Maybe on the shorter end of that, if you can avoid the alcohol and keep up with the weights. I know I had noticeable (at least to me) loss in one month's time, and based on your numbers, you should, too.
    It's true, there definitely has already been positive changes. I've suffered from terrible acid reflux in the past - it's actually hampered my ability to engage in weight training, because exertion would cause me real discomfort. I've tried many remedies over the years, trying to avoid taking Prilosec, which "cures" it but leaves me without stomach acid it. I recently came to find out that eating apples helped (much more so than apple cider vinegar, which is often touted as a remedy). Still, the reflux persisted.

Eliminating grains and processed food has eradicated the reflux completely. As a bonus, the pain in my stomach that felt like some kind of ulcer has gone away (I still intend to get checked out). I'm only 33, so it was disconcerting to have these stomach issues at this stage, and I'm very optimistic about the continued benefits of eating Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Take some measurements. I've lost 22 lbs, but I think I'm losing proportionately - i.e., losing from my bust and belly the same, so when I look in the mirror I don't necessarily see the changes even though I'm down two pant sizes. I didn't take measurements when I started so I can't do an accurate comparison.
    Yeah, I should probably take some measurements. I've started working out at the same time, so changes in size won't be all fat loss. However, hopefully my waste will shrink a bit. What prompted my need for a change of lifestyle in the first place was when I tried on the pants to a suit that fit nicely about 2 years ago. Struggling, I still couldn't button them . It's then that I realized the weight had been slowly but steadily creeping up on me.

.V. Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    With this kind of diet, about 4 weeks if your calories are dialed in correctly. Remember though, we need to feed lean body mass, not body fat...so often someone new has their calories too high.

With my training clients...I promise them visible results in 8 weeks...if they do what I tell them...with a money back guarantee. Never had anyone ask for a refund. So you MAY end up needing to A> cut calories just a bit (eat more fat and this will be easy), B> give it more time, or maybe C> BOTH.

Good luck to ya. Oh yeah, take before and after photos and hide them in a folder in your computer...do comparisons every 8 to 12 weeks. This makes it easier to re-evaluate your progress and tweak things as needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast