Thread: Rack pulls page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Rack pulls

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had hurt my back in January from being stupid. Yes, I can admit this. I had done DLs essentially 3x in one week....dumb dumb dumb. I had lifted on Monday doing my Day 1 which included DLs (5x5), then on Tuesday changed my routine and Wednesday was going to my DL, so I did them again (5x1). On Saturday I then did the Bear...and that is where I pulled my lower back.

But enough of that....the point of the post is that I still wanted to re-incorporate DLs into my workout, but have a bit of a fear for now. So for now, instead, I am doing rack pulls once a month.

For those of you unfamiliar with rack pulls, you're basically starting with the weight right below knee level, so it's not the full ROM as a DL. Felt really strong and good. I would put a video in here of how to do them for those unfamiliar, but my work blocks streaming media, so can't help you there.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Rack pulls don't hurt your back? That's interesting...and (maybe) a good sign.

What % of you DL do you use?

Can you squat?

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    My back is now at normal again....fully recovered. So it's not that I am not doing DLs due to back injury...I just have that fear of hitting them hard again. It's a mental problem at this point, not physical.

I was just throwing out the exercise as a lift for those new to lifting.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, I personally feel like rack pulls hit the lower back just as hard as regular deadlifts. I think the lower portion of the deadlift is more quad and glutes than lower back anyways.. Basically overtraining on rack pulls is just as bad as overtraining on deadlifts, and I don't believe they are superior to deadlifts if you ease into the full ROM with a low weight and your form is good.

I can't say I'd recommend doing rack pulls to novice lifters, or to the exclusion of deadlifts. Assuming you are doing enough weight, the injury potential is higher for them, and it would create strength imbalances.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna go against the grain here.

I think both "haltings" (the portion of the DL from the floor to the knee) and rack pulls can help you get over the hump and get back into doing full-range DL and most likely surpass where you were when you hurt yourself.

I had a similar issue when I first started lifting and as a warmup would do 1 set of haltings and 1 set of rack pulls at 50% (and then 80%) of my work set weight. It really helped me blast through my weight plateau and nail my DL form.

My work set was 1x5.

The warmup sets were usually 1x8.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    I'm gonna go against the grain here.

I think both "haltings" (the portion of the DL from the floor to the knee) and rack pulls can help you get over the hump and get back into doing full-range DL and most likely surpass where you were when you hurt yourself.

I had a similar issue when I first started lifting and as a warmup would do 1 set of haltings and 1 set of rack pulls at 50% (and then 80%) of my work set weight. It really helped me blast through my weight plateau and nail my DL form.

My work set was 1x5.

The warmup sets were usually 1x8.
    Yup.

If you look at the BEST powerlifters in the world you'll see that they rarely do the full movement. They'll do rack pulls, floor presses, box squats, etc., and then go into a competition and hit a PR. It's a little counter-intuitive but apparently it works.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    Yup.

If you look at the BEST powerlifters in the world you'll see that they rarely do the full movement. They'll do rack pulls, floor presses, box squats, etc., and then go into a competition and hit a PR. It's a little counter-intuitive but apparently it works.
    I think rack-pulls are fantastic for advanced and elite lifters. Just not novices.