Thread: Does this make sense or am I rationalizing? Inflammation/Workout issue page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

Does this make sense or am I rationalizing? Inflammation/Workout issue

Shop Now
    One of the things that is working for me with this lifestyle is getting my inflammation down. I have thyroid issues, have had gut issues, depression, and some of the other stuff that goes along with it. I am doing great now, and I am going for a TSH test today because I think I probably need to drop my thyroid meds.

My issue is, when I workout, I end up making myself really sore, retaining water, and feeling it for 2-3 days (DOMS soreness, not pain at the time of the workout). This soreness is inflammation in itself. I thought about it last night, and I think I need to drop the intensity of the workout. I will work out as often, but just not push myself to the point of soreness . I know I can achieve results even without soreness, in fact, I have often found I have achieved more (and easier) success just getting to the point where I am almost going to get sore but not over it.

The inflammation issue has been huge in my life, and I do not want to do anything that is going to make it worse, or stop my progress to healing my thyroid and other stuff.

Any opinions or comments?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I have a similar experience, except my inflammation has to with breathing. Like you I would train hard and be sore for 2-4days. I would notice my asthma symptoms worsening in the those days as well. To reduce some of the post workout inflammation I reduced the volume (not so many exercises) but kept the intensity (to failure) the same. This kept my soreness down to a day or two and my breathing did not worsen during that time. The plus to this is I also can get another training day in, from 2 a week to 3.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Also, I assume you are sufficient in Vitamin D? Really essential, if you want to reduce inflammation.

JKC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Also, I assume you are sufficient in Vitamin D? Really essential, if you want to reduce inflammation.
    Yes, I am, thanks!
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have read that people with thyroid issues do better with less intense exercise. That's certainly been my experience. I have Hashi's, and I benefit most from moderate exercise.

By the way, you should not have your meds adjusted by testing TSH! The TSH is meaningless in terms of your hormone levels--all that indicates is how difficult (or easy) it is for your pituitary to get your thyroid working--it's a pituitary test, not a thyroid test (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone).

You need to have your T4 and T3 tested--THOSE are the thyroid hormones.

JKC
    Emmie, thanks for your insight, especially about the moderate exercise. I have had thyroid problems for 15 years, and TSH has always been a very good indicator for me. I realize it isn't for lots of people, but it has worked for me.
    Karin