Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting Office Desk to Standing Desk.....ideas???? page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Converting Office Desk to Standing Desk.....ideas????

I have an office job and have hit the wall on being able to sit all day, every day for countless hours on end. I'm looking to convert the office desk I have into a standing one. Any thoughts? I have an office and the desk is an L shape. I work for a service provider, so have to have something look decent, can't just have a bunch of things stacked up. I've googled a few different things, but haven't found much. More results on already constructed standing desks....

thanks.

croí is offline Senior Member
    do you have any shelves that would hold your monitor up above your head?

Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    do you have any shelves that would hold your monitor up above your head?
    Not really. The only "shelving" I have are a couple "cabinets" a bit above my head. I'm thinking that there has to be something to throw on top of the desk to elevate everything. I just need something big enough to hold a laptop, second monitor and a notepad for all of my doodling....I mean...note taking

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    WorkFit-S Sit-Stand Workstation - The Uprising: Just Stand!

This is what my hospital administration plans to get for me when the new fiscal year rolls around.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I did for my temporary, let's-see-if-this-is-really-going-to-work standing desk. I took one section of a shelf I already had (Sterilite shelf), and set that on top of my desk pushed all the way to the back. My monitors sit here. Then I took one of these cheapie shelves from my pantry and set it partially between the legs of the Sterilite shelf, but further forward on the desk. This shelf holds my keyboard and mouse.

I'm not sure if that would meet your aesthetic requirement, but for me it was a no-brainer because I already had the shelves. If you had to buy both of them new it would cost you about $45.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I have my desk on my treadmill at home. So much nicer than just standing. Aesthetically...welll no.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Big L, I think the second link you threw in might be what I'm looking for. Thanks. I just need to head down to Ikea, Home Depot or that damn organizer store (wife loves that place...I hate it....they make you feel like you need so much extra crap) and walk around to get some ideas. I was just lacking some motivation this morning and was looking online.

Thanks for the ideas. And yeah runnergal...I envy the treadmill working stations. I would love to have one...but not at my current office. A simple change is hard enough for them...I'm not going to put them into coronary arrest.....though today is "cake day" at the office...so they're getting there.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    The husband put his standing work desk together from modular wire shelves he bought at Storables. They had all kinds of different ones including a pull-out keyboard tray. At home we have a bar (which we bought in the patio furniture section) - which works wonderfully! It's wrought iron and tile - very rustic and italian-looking. The bar was a lot more expensive, but does look very nice.

So much better to have combination of sitting/standing than just sitting!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I used a couple milk crates and a board.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephdr...in/photostream
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pottery Barn has a nice craft table that's great for standing... I alternate btwn Standing sitting
    Bedford Project Table Set | Pottery Barn

I got this the last time I worked from home...very astheticlly pleasing... another thought would be get a drafting table... that's what dh uses at work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast