Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMMMM...Pork Skin page

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member

MMMMM...Pork Skin

Primal Fuel
    My husband makes fabulous pork shoulder roast for pulled pork. The last time he made it he caught me peeling the skin off the roast and gnawing on it. He was very vocal about how terrible all that fat was for me. (He is not Primal) I tried to explain that fat is a very important part of the PB, but I eventually backed off and let him give all that beautiful, delicious skin to the dog.

Fast forward 6 weeks and 15 more pounds lost. He made pulled pork again yesterday. I took the skin off the roast and put it in a container. He said, "aren't you going to give it to the dog". I gave the dog a piece and then, with a feral gleam in my eye, popped some into my own mouth.

He made no comment. What could he say? He has to admit, the PB is working for me.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Ack! Dammit Paula, now you've made me hungry!

For some reason, my pork skin is never quite as crunchy and delicious as my grandmother's used to be when she made roast pork for family events. Any hints for getting perfect crackling?

My husband uses at least 15 spices in his dry rub. Sorry, that is all know. Ancient Irish secret.
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Love it! I do the same thing with chicken skin every time we roast a whole one. It horrifies my boyfriend and he IS primal!
    -Krystal

MMMM Chicken. I always eat the fatty tail 1st. My husband's family calls it "the Pope's nose". That has always cracked me up.

goodangels is offline Senior Member
    The pork skin is my favourite part of the roast! Oh my gosh, the Pope's Nose - I love that too - especially when the skin gets really crispy after BBQing a chicken.

To get the skin on pork roasts crispy, make sure you get a roast with a thick layer of fat and skin. Dry the skin of the roast. Score the skin with a sharp knife so it looks like diamond shapes. Then prior to roasting or BBQ, rub with oil, then rub rock salt and dry spices in. Cook on top rack of oven. Turn heat way up (in oven it would be 400 degrees) for 15 minutes, then turn heat down and continue roasting at 375 degrees til done. Don't baste. Awesome!

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    OMG I love the skin of pork so much!!! And the great thing is everyone else I know is so scared to eat it that I end up eating theirs too!. And chicken skin - yum!!
    My Mum does a good crackling but she is versed in the "fat is bad" mentality and despite me rabbiting on about how great fat is she won't be convinced. So yet again I manage to make off with the WHOLE strip of crackling to myself WHAT A SHAME!!!! It tastes divine and I am convinced that it is full of goodness.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I was at a mini reunion for my DH recently.....they had fried chicken (from popeyes) and about a dozen other things I couldn't touch. I brought snacks, but after about 5 or 6 hours and swimming and three days of minimal food, I was dying for something. So I pulled all the skin off a chicken breast and ate as much meat that I could find that wasn't coated. I am 6 years gluten free, I cannot cheat on that part.

OF COURSE a few family members saw me taking off the skin, and they all exclaimed "oh I do that too...all that fat, so bad for you!". I couldn't get through to them I was doing it JUST because of the flour, that I ADORE crispy chicken skin and usually eat it..... they all seemed thrilled they did something I did as well (I am the labeled 'health nut' of the group). UGH. This is all from the same people that ate half a dozen desserts all afternoon, :P

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pebbles if you can get that secret spices recipe for the Pork Skin I'd really appreciate it! =)

I love pork skin myself. Here in australia you can buy just pork skin by itself at the supermarkets in the meat section. I usually roast up a roll of it every 3 days or so. Its my alternative to eating potato chips I guess, nice crunchy snack.

Im trying to perfect my crackling ... the times ive used oil on the skin before roasting it never bubbles and go crispy for some reason... maybe ill try giving it a rub with oil again and see what happens.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodangels View Post
    The pork skin is my favourite part of the roast! Oh my gosh, the Pope's Nose - I love that too - especially when the skin gets really crispy after BBQing a chicken.

To get the skin on pork roasts crispy, make sure you get a roast with a thick layer of fat and skin. Dry the skin of the roast. Score the skin with a sharp knife so it looks like diamond shapes. Then prior to roasting or BBQ, rub with oil, then rub rock salt and dry spices in. Cook on top rack of oven. Turn heat way up (in oven it would be 400 degrees) for 15 minutes, then turn heat down and continue roasting at 375 degrees til done. Don't baste. Awesome!
    Thanks, I'm going to try this with my pork hocks. The last couple of times, I slowcooked them and then took the skin off and fried it up in a pan until crispy. But that takes a lot of oil and has made smoke, so I worry about oxidized fat.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast