Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dizziy, emotional, and unsure of when I'm actually hungry page

Kaeferin is offline Member

Dizziy, emotional, and unsure of when I'm actually hungry

Shop Now
    I mentioned this in my journal, but I would really appreciate some input, so I'm rephrasing here.

I'm almost a month into PB, and I'm feeling quite dizzy (lightheaded) quite a lot. The initial "fogginess" of low carb flu seems to have lifted; I don't have any problems with concentration any more. But I'll quite often feel what you might call a "wave" of dizziness. At the weekend, I realised for the first time that I might be out of touch with my hunger signals, as I've had a couple of real emotional episodes that seemed to be cured immediately by eating (and no, not by binging in comfort foods).

Has anybody else had experience of increased emotionality on PB?

Anyone experience with dizziness? Is this just something I should push through (is it remaining low-carb flu) or do I need to be looking at this more closely? It feels a lot like the time when I was hypothyroid (before I got on meds), but without the lethargy. Back then doc and I pinned the dizziness on low blood pressure, which was eleviated by the thyroid meds.

I have no idea where my blood pressure is now, but any tales of experiences with blood pressiure would be appreciated. Thanks.

For those interested in my eating habits, there are entries in my journal (signature link).

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... you COULD be slightly anaemic, perhaps? Or lack of fluids? You drink enough?

Dizziness is uncomfortable. I've been dealing with headache, slight nausea and just feeling drenched - body's sending signals, and I'm trying to figure out WHY. It could very well be lack of drinking for me, as I'm one of those people who can go a whole summer day without drinking.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Can you post what you are eating? A typical day's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Can you post what you are eating? A typical day's breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Here's the last week, copied-and-pasted and distilled somewhat from my journal. I've given a full week, because I live in the reality of two apartments in different cities, canteen food and so on, so any one day would not reflect the breadth of what I'm eating (for better or for worse). I've been cooking with coconut oil (or coconut ghee), or butter or lard, sometimes olive oil, and I take fish oil every day for what it's worth. My mealtimes aren't always regular because I go by hunger as much as I can (otherwise, business and social commitments to work round), hence the numbering system

Monday:
    1) Half a 2-egg primal omelette
    2) Buffet lunch at work - took mostly fish and pork and vegetables (sure there was some flour involved in the fish). Got caught out with the elderflower cordial - usually they serve that stuff waaaay weak around here, but nope, it was full-on sugar. Finished off with coffee (black, 1 sugar)
    3) "baked" zucchini (ground beef, canned tomatoes, peppers, onion, balsamic). Dessert: whipped cream with some pureed raspberries.
    Snacks: a few nuts, couple of squares of dark chocolate and an apple

Tuesday:
    1) 2 boiled eggs and some sliced ham
    2) grilled turkey steaks and vegs (canteen food)
    3) primal salad (eisberg, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, balsamic / olive oil dressing, some sunflower seeds) with smoked mackerel
    snacks: some 85% chocolate, an apple

Wednesday:
    1) Left-over salad and smoked trout
    2) Turkey steak and greenbeans with bacon
    3) left-over baked zucchini
    4) Braised steak and onions with a beetroot roesti (no flour). Desert: a little whipped cream mixed with almond butter.
    Snacks: an apple, and a little almond butter.

Thursday:
    1) scrambled eggs with "grammeln" (basically: pork fat) and pumpkin seed oil.
    2) braised steak and onions with celery root mash
    Didn't really eat dinner: grazed on some raw carrots and hard sausage, some red wine.
    Edited to add: I snacked on some pork mid-afternoon.

Friday:
    1) Roast pork (I forgot to take breakfast with me to work - bought this cold roast at the butchers on the way)
    2) Pork shish kebab with mixed vegetables (canteen)
    3) Mixed salad (iceberg, raddiccio, rocket, carrots, radishes, peppers) with smoked trout and some pumpkin seeds (dressing: white wine vinegar, olive oil, pumpkin seed oil
    Red wine.

Saturday:
    1) Salad (same as Friday), hard boiled eggs, goats cheese
    2) Chicken braised in soy sauce (+ lemon juice + coconut oil etc), stir fried vegetables. It's the first time I've done this, and the veg turned out crap, so I ended up really only eating the chicken.
    3) Grazing: cottage cheese, some hard sausage, raw carrots, few grapes, almond butter
    Red wine
    Snacks: handful of Brazil nuts, coffee with milk

Sunday:
    1) Smoked Salmon, a very little mixed salad with onion
    2) Asparagus with home-made Hollandaise sauce (the hollandaise contained 3 eggs yolks and probably about 3 ozs of butter)
    3) Kaesekrainer Sausage from a street stand on the way home, mustard
    4) Home-made goulash (beef, onions, tomatoes...)
    Red wine
    Snacks: coffee with whipped cream and a little sugar, few squares dark chocolate, brazil nuts.

The red wine intake is mostly due to the fact that I got a good bottle as a present and shared it out over a few days. The chocolate adds up to just over one 100g bar of 70% for the whole week. Similarly nuts add up to about 120g for the week: I wouldn't call that overconsumption at four weeks in where my biggest goal has just been to cut out the grain.
    Last edited by Kaeferin; 04-25-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Hmm... you COULD be slightly anaemic, perhaps? Or lack of fluids? You drink enough?

Dizziness is uncomfortable. I've been dealing with headache, slight nausea and just feeling drenched - body's sending signals, and I'm trying to figure out WHY. It could very well be lack of drinking for me, as I'm one of those people who can go a whole summer day without drinking.
    I can totally relate to trying to figure out the signals. My hunger signals are completely different and I'm not attuned to them yet. Right now I'm getting cranky *before* I get tummy rumbles. It used to be I'd get a rumbling tummy and then I didn't eat I'd get cranky. Right now it seems to be the other way round.

Dizziness comes and goes. I should really get my blood pressure checked to see if it's that or something else. Dehydration isn't usually a problem for me because I keep a bottle of water in my purse.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Your diet looks ok. I tend to get low blood pressure, so I can get dizzy just from standing up sometimes - more so if I am hungry, but it goes away if I wait a minute. You may need to re-attune yourself to what hungry really means now. I know that I get a sense I am hungry about half an hour before the "tummy hunger" sets in. I hope you figure it out soon!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Thanks Karin. Yeah, like I said, this feels a little like the time when I know the dizziness was due to low blood pressure. I suppose it might be worth investing in a cuff so that I can measure when I really feel it rather than at the docs office. Can you describe what your hunger signals are like? (the ones that come half-an-hour ahead). Maybe that'll help give me some clues. It's quite bizzare to have been really attuned to my hunger and then suddenly not be

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I guess it is a bit of an empty feeling - but it is hard to describe - it is not an actual feeling, just a knowing that I am hungry - sort of below the level of feeling. As long as I have a part of my mind listening to my body (instead of being insanely busy at other stuff), then I can tune into it. If I get too caught up in other stuff and don't recognize it, then I bonk!

Regarding the blood pressure: I have never worried about the LBP, it is just part of me, and much better than tending to HBP! The great thing is I don't really have to worry about how much salt I put on things.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium supplementation can help with blood pressure/dizziness. Many people are deficient.

I take 400-600g mg Magnesium Citrate an hour before bed--helps me get a great night's sleep, too.

zeynep is offline Junior Member
    your diet looks really good but maybe squeeze some fruit into it when you really feel hungry and dizzy? like half of a banana perhaps.they boost the production of serotonin – the “ happiness hormone”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast