Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever done Weight Watchers in the past? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Anyone here ever done Weight Watchers in the past?

Primal Fuel
    If so, what was your experience? I did Weight Watchers a few different times and always lost weight, but always gained it back plus some. I'm sure the majority of Weight Watchers victims had the same experience? The last time I did Weight Watchers I started at 135 and went down to 115 and then went up to 165... the most I have ever weighed in my life. I gave myself some time to recover from starvation and then came across the Primal Blueprint and am so thankful... now I am back down to 150 and I don't feel deprived in any way.

I sometimes think about writing to Weight Watchers to complain and let them know just what they did to my health. Anyone feel this way and do you think it would make a difference?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yes. It sucked.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I know someone that WORKS for WW and she gets me to help her with low carb so she can actually lose weight.

WW is like any other CW approach where people go to meetings. It makes people more careful, adds peer pressure, etc, but the science behind it is nonsense. They made some major changes recently, but they still have people eating a lot of fruit. That probably only helps if it gets their customers to eat fruit instead of Snickers bars.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Yes and I lost 25 lbs but I was starving the whole time.
    ~Sandy

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Yep, it sucked. I hated being made to feel like I was a liar, and that I was always under scrutiny. And I didn't lose weight, in fact I tended to gain. I felt crappy the entire time, physically and emotionally.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine lost 90 lbs on WW. I think he's gained back about 50 in the past year. I feel really bad for him. I've tried to tell him about Paleo/Primal but he just brushes me off. He was also chronic cardio the whole time, but he's dropped that too.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    WW (both times I tried it) made me tired and cranky, and it doesn't really teach you about why some choices are better than others. The program is mostly an attempt to get you to follow a rigid ruleset that crashes and burns if you eat out at all because it's focused on calories and fiber, and good luck getting those nailed down at any restaurant (even one that bothers to post such information).

Their convenience foods (sold in most grocery stores in the US) are usually low fat, high-fiber, and their ingredient lists make me twitch.

The women in my family swear by WW, but since the hypothyroid diagnosis all it does is make me depressed, cranky, and hungry. I think it's fine for people who are comfortable with caloric restriction. Otherwise, it's not sustainable unless you intend to count points and eat in (or eat their pre-packaged foods) for the rest of your life.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    My mother used to do WW on and off, and never lost more than the same 5 pounds with it. When I was in high school I actually read alllll their literature one summer, and it just seems so miserable and complicated--there are just so many 'rules'! All meant to restrict you, not actually help you achieve good health (like the laws of PB).

Kaeferin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    The women in my family swear by WW, but since the hypothyroid diagnosis all it does is make me depressed, cranky, and hungry. I think it's fine for people who are comfortable with caloric restriction. Otherwise, it's not sustainable unless you intend to count points and eat in (or eat their pre-packaged foods) for the rest of your life.
    I did WW as my first serious diet after college, Hit my target and then some, was the lightest I'd ever been. Started gaining back on the maintenance plan, went back to doing points more strictly and continued to gain, gain, gain - and of course be disbelieved at weekly meetings that I'd stuck to the plan. At around this point I discovered based on other symptoms that I was hypothyroid. Mentioned this at WW and had the idea poo-pooed that hypothyroid might have anything to do with my weight gain. Got disbeleived for a couple of more weeks and I stopped going and stopped dieting period.

At this point in my life I'm pretty certain that if WW didn't actually cause my hypothyroidism, then it certainly contributed to it appearing at that exact time.

Oh, and I was always hungry.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    lost the same 10-20 lbs three times. was hungry and often felt lightheaded and weak. but I was sure it was "the healthiest program out there" sigh. the years I lost...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast