Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Parents? page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I'm especially looking to talk about feeding toddlers, but all primal parenting concerns would be good to discuss.

My boys are two and a half yrs old and one yrs old. I'm still nursing the youngest, but the oldest has just weaned.

They both love chicken, so I try to feed them the thighs and skin to get them the extra fatty goodness. They are just learning to like/chew steak. They will eat ground meat, fish is really hit or miss etc.

They LOVE broccoli, but we eat a lot of raw veggies, which they don't seem to be able to chew yet. (Molars seem to be a requirement, esp for leafy greens)

I guess I feel like they aren't getting as much to eat now that we don't have bread etc around. I am feeding them quinoa, quinoa pasta occasionally, and was thinking of getting them quinoa flakes to replace the oatmeal they used to love, as they aren't diggin' eggs (though they LOVE the bacon! lol) as well as sweet potatoes.

What are you guys feeding your littles, and do you give them some of the higher carb stuff you might avoid?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Primal Mama Guest

I started a little later with my kids (I wish I had known...)I often make my kids green smoothies (ice, fruit and fresh spinach) which you could serve your little ones with a spoon. They also like muffins made with coconut flour as a treat or almond meal pancakes. Mine love bacon too (just like their mother)!

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

My son just turned one and we have a daughter coming in a few months. My son is still nursing twice a day, but really eats the same foods we do. I still tend to puree a lot of food, especially the vegetables, so he has an easier time eating them. I find that soups are a very good way to get in a lot of vegetables, as is pasta sauce. He enjoys Mark's primal energy bars, and I make things with almond flour. He especially likes almond flour crackers! He also likes smoothies made of coconut milk and some sort of fruit. The only grain he eats on a regular basis is oatmeal a few times a week. I'm glad we are starting early with him as I'm sure it is much harder to transition to a primal way of eating.

maba is offline Senior Member

Lil_EM, just yesterday I got Nina Planck's "Real Food for Mother and Baby". I flipped through it and it looks like a great book. I think you'll find a lot of information there for your little one especially.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I wish I would have stumbled onto this lifestyle before my children were born. However, I can tell you that my son will eat whatever we put in front of him now due to one good thing (I think) that we did when he was younger. We absolutely MADE him try one bite of whatever we were/are eating. Seems bad, yeah I know. But now, when you have their friends over and all said friend will eat is a 'fake peanut butter' sandwich and your child is eating a big hunk of meat and any veg you put on his plate, I can definitely see the benefit.

Now, I don't know for certain that making your kids try everything you make contributes to their lack of pickiness, but it would seem that the more exposure to different foods the more they are willing to experiment and try new things.

We fill him up on meat, eggs, nuts, fruit and he never complains about the lack of grains/pasta/bread/etc... in his diet. So something must have gone right somewhere along the line of many foibles of being a parent.

I grok, therefore I am.

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention green smoothies but they are definitely a fave with my two!

I don't think they are having a lot of trouble transitioning, since our diet was whole foods based already. Like I said, I think breakfast is about it, they love oatmeal, won't really eat much of the eggs that I eat every morning.

LTC we too do the "no thank you bite", where you must try it before you dismiss it. It is definitely working well around here.

Does anyone else use quinoa? All of my research (including a post by Mark) says it's not a grain, full of protein and nutrients and though a bit high carb, they aren't trying to lose weight.

-John Lennon

If all else fails in the morning for the littles, BACON!!! Or any type of meat for that matter. Whenever we make bacon it suddenly disappears into my son's mouth.

I grok, therefore I am.

This is going to sound really bad...

We also used to play little psychological games with our kids to get them to eat, as in:

I'm going to leave this piece of broccoli here and if you eat it you're going to be in big trouble!!! It worked about 85% of the time...made them feel like rebels!

I grok, therefore I am.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Both my kids seemed to go through a "won't eat it" phase, even if they previously liked something or actually admitted liking it right then. It starts at about 4 & then goes away about 6 1/2. Before & after that they'd eat just about anything I'd give them. Just be prepared that they might do that. Must be a separation thing. They never did refuse bacon, though!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

LMAO LTC!!! I love the rebel mind game, kids are so funny.

Bacon is definitely a winner, they never say no to bacon, or ham for that matter. I buy ham with the least amount of junk in it.

Every lunch lately is a request for broccoli and gravy, or broccoli and soup, so they've been eating a lot of broccoli lol. I sautee it in coconut oil or copious amounts of butter!

-John Lennon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast