Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zucchini and Cheese Coconut Flour Bread page

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Zucchini and Cheese Coconut Flour Bread

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is what happens when I have an overabundance of springtime energy and it's raining outside. There's a large package of braunschweiger in the fridge, but the idea of rolling it up in lettuce just doesn't seem appealing. I know! I've been thinking that I'd like to try my hand at making some gluten free bread, so I begin by googling "coconut flour."

After about 45 minutes spent reading various coconut flour bread recipes, and all the comments from people who have tried the recipes, I realized that coconut flour bread recipes seem to have at least one of three common factors that renders them unappealing: 1) Far too dry, or 2) Far too dense, and 3) Not high enough (frequent comments that the photos must have been edited). These problems struck me as fairly easy to solve, so I set out to create my own recipe.

The resulting bread was out of this world delicious! I'm quite pleased that my first attempt turned out so well. To counteract the "too dry" problem, I added grated zucchini and shredded cheese. The "far too dense" problem was easily solved by adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of baking soda. And, I can assure you, my photos have not been edited. There was no reason to.

The bread turned out light and airy, full of flavor, and just downright amazing. I wrote the whole recipe with photos on my blog, so won't repeat here, but just had to share: BLOG.MIDDLINPLUS.COM: Zucchini and Cheese Coconut Flour Bread

Please let me know if you try it!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Hey Sharonll, nice work.

Could those who don't use coconut flour sub almond meal or something else instead? Any suggestions on adjusting the proportions?

I have an abundance of coconut flour so that's what I used, but I don't see why almond flour wouldn't work just as well. Rather than 3/4 cup I think you might want to use one full cup, though, as almond flour is not as absorbent as coconut flour. One caveat: almond flour is very finely ground blanched almonds, powdery. Almond meal is coarser, made from unblanched almonds. If you use almond meal you will definitely have a different experience than you would if you used coconut flour.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I can't find almond flour here, so I'll give it a go with almond meal and see what happens! (Almond meal works quite well in other bready recipes, like Rivvin's famous sammich, so I'm hopeful.)

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    As far as the middle sinking, maybe broil it on high for a few minutes to brown the top and firm it up a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Thanks. I can't find almond flour here, so I'll give it a go with almond meal and see what happens! (Almond meal works quite well in other bready recipes, like Rivvin's famous sammich, so I'm hopeful.)
    Please let me know how it turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    As far as the middle sinking, maybe broil it on high for a few minutes to brown the top and firm it up a bit?
    That sounds like a great idea! Might add a little extra cheese on top just before switching to the broiler. I've been thinking that a great variation would be with chopped Kalamata olives and feta cheese. Mmmm...

Raen is offline Member
    That sounds great, I'll have to go get some coconut flour! Thanks for sharing.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I agree about using zucchini to add moisture and texture to coconut flour. I have a To Die For Cheese Biscuit recipe that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I agree about using zucchini to add moisture and texture to coconut flour. I have a To Die For Cheese Biscuit recipe that does this.
    I have also been thinking that instead of zucchini I could use grated carrots, dried cranberries, and add cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and then top with whipped cream! Could even use pumpkin or squash for a similar effect.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast