Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you eat too much fish? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Can you eat too much fish?

Primal Fuel
    I do eat quite a lot of fatty fish like salmon, kippers, mackerel and sardines. Can it get too much?
    I usually have smoked mackerel or smoked salmon for breakfast 5 days a week, kippers on a Sunday and maybe a tin or two of sardines in olive oil during the week. Guess I don't really need those cod liver oil capsules I bought a while ago!
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Now that I am eating salmon pretty much every morning I ditched my fish oil capsules. Much nicer to eat the right food than to have to take pills.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure it's possible to eat too much of it but I know I'd be full to sickness well before eating too much...

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Not to much fish, but perhaps to much smoked fish.

.V. Guest
    Mercury filled heavy bodied ocean fish? Yeah...it's easy enough to get too much of that.

Stick with the skinny fish, the higher fat fish and you'll be fine.

RE: low fat fish... it IS possible to eat too much of these. Have you heard of "rabbit starvation"? It's a real medical condition that happens if someone eats too much rabbit...pure protein with no fat. But you asked about fish? Oh same problem...too much protein with no fat. You can eat until you are stuffed with a protruding belly and still be hungry...and end up dying of malnutrition. Gotta have your fat.

BTW, your salmon was a very good choice. I personally can't eat it but I brush talipia with olive oil to get my fat and eat it that way. Sometimes, even... oh my... butter.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I dont think so. I eat wild salmon w bones for bkfast, sardines at lunch and often a piece of fish for dinner. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by denbro01 View Post
    Not to much fish, but perhaps to much smoked fish.
    Yeah, I know. It's cheap and convenient, and I haven't got a lot of money. But I guess I could buy more fresh fish. Just checked the supermarket's website and it's not really that expensive. I don't even really like the smoked fish that much anymore to be honest. It's so salty!
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by .V. View Post
    Mercury filled heavy bodied ocean fish? Yeah...it's easy enough to get too much of that.

Stick with the skinny fish, the higher fat fish and you'll be fine.

RE: low fat fish... it IS possible to eat too much of these. Have you heard of "rabbit starvation"? It's a real medical condition that happens if someone eats too much rabbit...pure protein with no fat. But you asked about fish? Oh same problem...too much protein with no fat. You can eat until you are stuffed with a protruding belly and still be hungry...and end up dying of malnutrition. Gotta have your fat.

BTW, your salmon was a very good choice. I personally can't eat it but I brush talipia with olive oil to get my fat and eat it that way. Sometimes, even... oh my... butter.
    It's mostly long living fish like tuna and king mackerel you should stay away from with regards to mercury isn't it?
    I do like cod and haddock a lot, but like you say they are so low fat you need to eat a lot to fill you up, so I can't be bothered with it. I do like salmon and trout a lot, they might even be my favourites.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Omega 3s may be perceived as the "good" polyunsaturated fats, but they are still polyunsaturated fats and cause oxidative stress, even more than omega 6. The problem I have in trying to implicate too much fish is that all of the literature uses fish oil which is not the same as fish, but when you use fish oil you can get problems with too much of it. Excess omega-3 fatty acid consumption by mothers d... [Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2010 Mar-Apr] - PubMed result

In populations, omega 3 is pretty much inversely associated with diseases because most people are deficient and get too much omega 6 and any amount of omega 3 reduces inflammation and is a good thing. Still I think that it might be prudent to just keep all PUFAs, including omega 3 to a minimum. You're probably not in the danger zone but with oxidants it is a case of less is better.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

.V. Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    It's mostly long living fish like tuna and king mackerel you should stay away from with regards to mercury isn't it?
    You are correct. The ones that are in the ocean for a long time and are wide, heavy bodied ones. But then, the oceans are so polluted now...when I eat fish I stick to fresh water myself. Trout and salmon...great ideas if you can stomach them. Trout is ok....but salmon is just too "fishy" for me...as is bass and pretty much anything except for crappie, bluegills, and talipia...(darn permits needed to have non native fish living in your back yard in my state).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast