Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life W/O Gallbladder question page

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member

Life W/O Gallbladder question

Six years ago I had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. It was completely blocked up with stones, I was in excruciating pain and in no condition to argue for a less extreme solution, assuming there is one once it gets to that point. Fast forward to January of this year, I learn about Paleo/Primal and have to stop myself from going into a major pissed-off rage at our idiotic government's food triangle and every dumbshit know-nothing health 'expert' who had me eating the very poisons that caused the problem.

Deep breath - calm .... breathe .... calm .... OK -

So I started Primal the first week in February. I'm back at my ideal 105 lbs., I feel fantastic, look fantastic (well, still ugly enough to stop shit in mid-air but it's a healthy ugly) and I look forward to every new day as opposed to dreading them like before. Life is good, but the machine is still missing a part and that bothers me.

I've read a few posts here from folks who are doing great sans gallbladder but also heard Robb Wolf mention some kind of bile supplement is a good idea. Can I get some input/opinions on that one?

TIA for any comments.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any problems, and I have no gallbladder and haven't had one for fifteen years.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I don't have any problems, and I have no gallbladder and haven't had one for fifteen years.
    Interesting! I don't understand the process - medical science makes my eyes cross and my brain shut down - but like a lot of things, I'm guessing our bodies do some kind of work-around, no? Amazing when you think about it. Props to the Designer .

Thanks for the reply Griff.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely recommend bile salts and digestive enzymes. Just because you feel okay, doesn't mean things are working properly. Your bile system still needs to digest fats and remove toxins from the liver. Since your gallbladder was removed due to gallstones, you need to keep the bile thin and moving so that it does not thicken and form sludge. Bile is important for emulsifying/breaking down fats, may help with constipation, and aids in the assimilation of the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and essential fatty acids. You might want to look into HCl and choline supps as well.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    What he said, except substitute 11 years for 15 years. I was 29 when I had mine out and have never had a problem since. My dad had his out at 65 and did have recurring problems with diarrhea, so I don't know if our body's ability to "compensate" is influenced by age to some extent.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that without the gallbladder, our bile is on a constant drip, rather than dripped into the gallbladder and squeezed out after a meal. I am not sure how the constant drip develops sludge. Sometimes having a gallbladder with small stones in is referred to as having sludge.

On a personal note, I have no gallbladder, and it has not been an issue for me. The gallbladder does not create the bile, it just stores it after the liver creates it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    What he said, except substitute 11 years for 15 years. I was 29 when I had mine out and have never had a problem since. My dad had his out at 65 and did have recurring problems with diarrhea, so I don't know if our body's ability to "compensate" is influenced by age to some extent.
    This is the most common side effect of gallbladder removal - but it doesn't happen for everyone. It is because the bile is continually dripping, even when no food is being digested. I am not sure how a bile supplement would make that better - in fact, if it is adding bile, I would think it could potentially make it worse.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    The liver still produces bile, but not nearly as much as the gallbladder would be able to store. And without the gallbladder the bile is not as readily secreted in the body... the liver can become overwhelmed when faced with large amounts of any fats (mainly, saturated and hydrogenated). Also, with decreased secretion of bile, bile stones can form in the liver. I wouldn't take my chances, but that's just me.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I had my gall bladder removed about 20 years ago. My biggest problem after removal was chronic diarrhea-- my motto was, "Imodium is my best friend." Once I started low carb, and then primal, diarrhea ceased to be a chronic problem. I will get bouts if I eat off plan, especially grains (primarily pizza every few months).

I started supplementing with probiotics (in the morning/empty stomach) and digestive enzyme(each meal) 3-6 months ago. While I cant give specifics, I think they help. I feel like I have better nutrient absorption.

Gallbladder removal has been discussed here, a lot. I hope you find this helpful:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...3D1585716#1391

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Coconut oil can be digested without bile ... so unless you're allergic to coconut, there's a convenient replacement oil for you. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast