Thread: BBC sites study showing Keto diet REVERSES diabetic kidney damage. page

Paleobird Guest

BBC sites study showing Keto diet REVERSES diabetic kidney damage.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not just controls or manages but reverses the damage.
    Of course there were a few snarky comment like just because it works in mice doesn't mean we can recommend it for people until there has been further study. And the one about doubting if human could "sustain" such a diet. Hah! Got a bunch of primal folks over here who are living proof that is is sustainable.

I just found it heartening that this kind of research is getting mainstream enough to get this kind of coverage.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    link?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Paleobird Guest
    OOOP sorry. I though I had posted it.

Take two :

BBC News - Diet 'can reverse kidney failure' in mice with diabetes

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Well I don't think we do know for certain without a real trial, but I'm not seeing the downside for diabetics trying it. We already know it will help their blood sugar and it seems there's enough evidence that it is not a risky diet. It's not like they're being told to eat nothing but bananas or anything so crazy and untested as that. The dispute is about whether or not there is another benefit on top of the existing ones. The worst that happens is they have better blood glucose levels but no particular kidney benefit.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 04-24-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    My uncle died of renal failure and as the doctors "managed" his condition, he was told that fat and protein were the demons to be avoided at all cost if he wanted to live. Hopefully this study and further human study will open some medical eyes.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Physicians used to prescribe high-dose iodine for anything that they couldn't solve, and it was pretty effective. I think in a couple of decades they might prescribe bacon.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    My cousins both have polycystic kidney disease, one having had a transplant as a younger teenager. I will be very pleased to pass on this link to the family for their information. Thanks Paleobird :-)
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

slarsen is offline Junior Member
    hey everyone, my dad has just been diagnosed with diabetes related renal disease, can anyone tell me if they have tried out the primal diet and if it did help in preventing renal failure?