Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you discover primal/paleo eating? page

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member

How did you discover primal/paleo eating?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How did you find out about the primal or paleo way of eating/living?

I recently read a thread that discussed the fact that most people resist the idea if you tell them about it, so how does anyone fall into it?!

It was recommended to me by my Dad's friend who is a personal trainer and I scoffed at the idea of ditching grains until I read The PB and now I love it.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I was coming off of Medifast (a low carb, low calorie diet, low gluten) and knew that I felt better than ever. I have always suffered from gastro issues but no doctor ever suggested it might be gluten. I also have an autoimmune disease (caused my hypothyroidism and premature ovarian failure) but again no doctor ever suggested it might be gluten. So, after I was done with Medifast I knew I couldn't go back to eating SAD so I started doing a ton of reading. I think it was a link on a Jimmy Moore or Atkins forum that got me here.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I had heard of the Atkins diet when I was in high school (and was briefly forced onto it as a crash diet), but I think I discovered the low-carb community and paleo/primal blogosphere back in spring 2009 after doing some internet searches or possibly being linked by a completely unrelated blog I was reading at the time, maybe also while doing research on PCOS and insulin resistance?... I wish I could remember! But it was through the internet, not through anyone I knew in real life (they were too busy trying to put me on crash diets like the pomegranate juice cleanse )

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Researching for alternatives to get some relief from chronic asthma/allergies I came across a site that said my issue was from a systemic inflammation response and grain free eating would reduce the inflammation and decrease my symptoms. Low and behold 4-6wks later I could fell the difference in my breathing, and 5months in my lung function has never been this good!

Barefoot is offline Member
    I kept seeing a thread on another forum that was a "MDA support thread" or something like that. One day my curiosity got the best of me and I opened the thread to see what it was about, clicked the link to this site, and that was that. I found it made too much sense, I had to try it, since I had been looking for a way to improve my energy, sleep & overall health anyway. I wasn't in it for weight loss, though effortlessly shedding the last 15lbs or so of pregnancy weight was a nice bonus.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Told a buddy of mine last August that I was looking to get in decent shape and he talked about the Primal Blueprint very generally. I was down. Checked out MDA and ordered the book after an hour or so of reading various blog posts.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    My doc put me on VLC (Specifically he said do South Beach phase 1 for the long term) as part of sorting out hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue, and CFS. He's not too firm on how to stay VLC, so I was reading about other approaches and ran across Paleo, and then this site so I bought the PB book.

I like Mark's work and the site because it works, it's flexible, and it appeals to both dieters and active people wishing to be better athletes.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'm not actually sure. I may have signed up for Mark's newsletter when researching sleeping, I know I started using F.lux because of a blog here. I also remember reading a blog on sleeping and sleep positions. Anyways, I kept getting this newsletter called Mark's Daily Apple, which I ignored for at least a few months. One day, I read it, and for whatever reason a lightbulb went on. I then spent a reasonably neurotic week reading everything and anything I could from this sight that drew my eye.

I am so glad I made the change!

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I have been watching Sean Croxton's Underground Wellness videos for a couple years and he did an interview with Mark and that's how I found PB. Thank you Sean!!

If you aren't familiar with Sean, get to know him now!!

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Make fun of Readers' Digest all you want, but it led me here. There was a brief article summing up Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat that caught my eye. I read through and it all clicked with me. Every word written by Taubes made perfect sense. I checked the book on Amazon and through the reader reviews I found a link and a good number of mentions about MDA. I didn't buy WWGF until later, but after checking out the MDA link and reading through the home page I was hooked! I immediately bought Primal Blueprint, it showed up on my Kindle 30 seconds later (I need to buy a real copy, too many bookmarks and dog-eared and highlighted pages needed and I hate the Kindle way for that) and I just devoured the book. I started PB 5 days later (Feb 14, a Valentine's gift to myself) and haven't looked back!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast