Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble swallowing pills. page

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member

Trouble swallowing pills.

Shop Now
    Does anybody else have this problem? I had trouble swallowing pills my entire life before becoming pretty good at it two or three years ago. But recently it has become incredibly difficult once again. No clue why, and I don't remember what I did all those months ago to get over my... whatever it is. I don't know if I'm scared of swallowing pills. Maybe a little bit. But it's more like I just can't figure it out. My muscles just won't cooperate when I try to swallow.

Anybody have any tips? I take a couple of supplements and this is becoming a major pain in the ass. If they're small pills I can pretty much do an entire mouthful of 'em at once, but a single large pill gives me hell.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 04-24-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    One thing I noticed (just today, actually) is that when you have pills in your mouth, you often make room for them instead of just clasping it onto the roof of your mouth with your tongue - don't do that. Even if the pills taste nasty, relax in your tongue, and treat the pills like regular food (but don't chew, lol). Then drink like you normally would.

I often find that I get problems when I have a lot of air in my mouth - try not to think too hard about the PILLS in your mouth, and just drink the water normally. Hope it helps...

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    The only way I can swallow pills is to put the water in my mouth, then put the pill in, then whip my head back and press really hard on my forehead, while swallowing.

It sounds weird, but after years of having to take pills over the sink so if I puked, I could be prepared, I finally figured out this technique that would let me take pills consistently.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Omg I have this problem too! I HAVE to have applesauce or something to swallow pills. I always have to make sure I have something to help me take them if I am travelling and stuff. It is a pain in the butt. I am amazed how people can just put a couple pills in their mouths with just a sip of water and swallow it! I wish I could do that. But I think for me it's a mental/fear thing.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I always end up shaking my head vigorously until the pill is towards the back of my throat and perfectly suspended in the water, not touching the top of my tongue or the roof of my mouth, then I swallow quickly before it sinks back down to my tongue. That's the only way I can seem to do it. It takes me forever to get the pill in a position that feels "right", so I'm basically flailing my head around like an idiot for a good 10-30 seconds every time I need to take one. Sometimes it starts to dissolve too much before I can swallow and I have to spit it out and try again with a new pill.

I heard somebody suggest once to put the pill in your mouth, take a sip of water, pretend that you're eating a piece of steak, "fake chew" and then swallow. Treating them like food definitely helps, but it's very rare that I can actually pull it off. I just can't seem to get over the fact that there's a pill in there, and swallowing without actually chewing something is just something my muscles don't seem to want to do.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 04-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    If you can swallow small pills, why don't you break the large ones into smaller pieces and try that?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    If you can swallow small pills, why don't you break the large ones into smaller pieces and try that?
    Good advice, but I wouldn't recommend it with fish oil capsules... unless you really like that taste, lol

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    why can't they make fish oil pills and such smaller? would those types of pills made for kids be the same benefits for adults at a higher dose? ( a kid dose= 1 pill, but an adult could take 2)?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

Magic Fingers is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    seriously, try pressing hard on your forehead. I don't know why, but it totally works.
    I might have to try that as I have the same problem with medium to large pills. I have a very sensitive gag reflex so that might have something to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast