Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids watching TV bad for health page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

Kids watching TV bad for health

Primal Fuel
    What is amazing is that it took people with degrees and a government study to figure this out.

Kids watching TV for hours? Beware of health risks, Australia Health - Maktoob News

From the article:

Free play should be promoted and schools should have a mandatory two hours a week in physical activity for children
    Of course the "free play" will be heavily defined and regulated to include only activities that won't cause any physical distress, sweating or heavy breathing. You can bet dodge ball, or anything that involves keeping scores and (gasp!) having a winner won't be approved for this "free play".
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Lack of physical excercise was the culprit, not too much TV. TV IS EVIL, OMG!

I think TV, the right shows, are beneficial actually. My kids learn LOTS about nature and language.

That said, my kiddos get 2+ hours of heavy physical activity per day (more on weekends). We go for long walks, they RUN for about 85% of that time, then they play at the park....then they run home.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    2 hours of mandatory play at school? I like it! That's 2 hours they aren't having crap drilled into their heads!!! lol

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    2 hours of mandatory play at school? I like it! That's 2 hours they aren't having crap drilled into their heads!!! lol
    Amen to that. But back in my days (when we walked to school, 30 miles, each way, in the driving snow), we had a mandatory hour each day of PE plus recess time. Of course the meals were shitty but at least we spent a good bit of time outside.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

goodangels is offline Senior Member
    Some TV isn't bad. But it's up to the parents to limit/filter and ensure kids get outside and get exercise and social exposure. Kids can learn good things from watching the right programs:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-...142353537.html

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Amen to that. But back in my days (when we walked to school, 30 miles, each way, in the driving snow), we had a mandatory hour each day of PE plus recess time. Of course the meals were shitty but at least we spent a good bit of time outside.
    Was it uphill, both ways? lol

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Mandatory play. I wonder what that will turn out to be. I wonder if little Jimmy will get suspended because he'd rather sit against a wall and contemplate a dandelion.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    yeah, all things in moderation.

My kids watch TV at the end of their active day, usually right before dinner. I DVR the shows they are allowed to watch and they pick from that list. They know more about animals than I do because of zaboomafoo. At that time of day they are pretty tired and the 40 minutes of quiet time recharges them. Then we can talk at dinner about what animal was on that day.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    two hours * per week * of free play at school *sucks*. that's only 24 minutes per day.

it's a good thing i plan on letting my kid free play after school and on weekends for far more hours. good lord.

this reminds me, I need to talk to the school about physical education/recess.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    We can't keep kids from watching TV.

At the school where I work, it's become mandatory for the children to go OUTSIDE in their breaks. That's a good idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast