Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Siouxie's own version of the Primal/Paleo diet page 3

siouxie84 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok, its confirmed. I really have lost my excessive craving for alcohol! Saturday night, 2 glasses of red, its only 7pm and I don't feel like any more! Wow thats pretty remarkable. It's possible there are other factors (I've just had dinner, it's red wine as opposed to beer or white) but I still think my lack of ongoing craving is quite impressive.

Went back to the farmers market today to pick up my organic kale for my smoothies, sweet potato and lemons. I also picked up some more of those raw spirulina and cashew bars with agave nectar (which I know is bad, but they're sooooo good and only an occasional treat - 80/20 remember!).

My left knee is feeling slightly sore, has been for a while. I have no idea what caused it because I haven't been exercising enough to injure it. Maybe that is my problem, my joints are weaker because I havent been using them to their full potential. I shouldve gone for a walk today, like yesterday. Will promise to go for a walk tomorrow.

Food:
    Bacon, sweet potato, green smoothie, 2x white-flesh fish fillets, spinach, seeds, almonds, walnuts, fresh carrot and apple juice, 2 x 85% lindt chocolate squares, red wine, lemon juice, lots of green tea.

Not too good ratio wise, got 55% of my energy from fat, 17% protein, 17% carbs and 12% alcohol. Not that I'm overly concerned with ratios, but I realise I didnt get enough protein today. My carbs are good - only 80-ish grams for the day and the vast majority was from my sweet potato. Godonlyknows what my carb intake was before - cereal or toast for breakfast, rye crackers with my avocado, wrap or sandwich for lunch, pizza, pasta or potatos for dinner. Blergh.

When I look at what I eat everyday it looks like nothing, but I still feel like I eat all day and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything, which is great. I've been drinking a lot of green tea (as in at least 3 teabags, and reusing each teabag with fresh hot water as well) which could be a factor though. And it feels really good to fry up some bacon, then fry up some sweet potato in the oil and fat that is left over, and not feel guilty about it at all!

I think I'm slightly sunburnt on my face (cant tell anywhere else - too dark anyway) so I'll stay out of the sun for the next few days, or at least my face covered.
    Last edited by siouxie84; 05-14-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Went for a nice long walk around the neighbourhood today, as promised!. Walked around the lake near my old high school twice, about 1.6km each lap plus walking there and back, so about 4km all up. It felt good to get out in the fresh air. I've noticed that I am preferring to be outside when I can, when previously I would sit inside all day and not care. I'm getting more primal! Walking around gives me time to think about things and what I need to do to move on in my life, preferrable to sitting around and feeling miserable for myself.

Spent some time in the kitchen today, nothing new, just mucking around and using up ingredients that have been sitting in my fridge. I melted the rest of the 100% chocolate in some coconut milk, oil and blueberries and added it to my stash of green smoothie for that extra antioxidant kick in the morning.

I also made a shredded coconut slice with leftover almond meal, and it actually came out as if I used proper flour, I was quite impressed.

Food today:
    Green smoothie w/ 100% chocolate
    Bacon,
    sweet potato,
    green tea
    Raw revolution spirulina and cashew bar
    nuts & seeds
    shredded coconut slice
    leftover chicken w/ mushrooms and walnuts
    Kangaroo kebabs & mushrooms
    2 x 85% chocolate squares
    lemon juice

Oh dear, I'm never going to get to sleep tonight.

I've was buzzing all day from the theobromine in the 100% chocolate I melted and put in my green smoothie, finally started to feel fatigued when I got home but I had to perk up because I had to go out and play poker with some friends at a pub, so I had some more green smoothie (only about 100-150mls) plus another raw revolution bar with agave nectar (which was basically my dinner, plus 3 glasses of red at the pub). It's 10pm now and I feel tired, but something tells me I'm in for a rough night.

The theobromine really killed my appetite this morning, and I did an energetic 25 min walk around the block at lunch time today (in heels no less), but I did make up for it in the afternoon. However during the afternoon I only polished off what I would normally eat, plus what I didnt eat in the morning (which wasnt that much) so it wasnt too bad. Plus I didnt have a proper dinner - just some snacks before I went out plus red wine at the pub. My eyes are starting to close but I still feel buzzed. Damn.

Food today:

B: Green smoothie, sweet potato, green tea
    L: Spinach, chicken, mushroom and walnut salad
    D: Green smoothie, RR bar, red wine, shredded coconut slice x2,
    S: Sweet potato, green tea, almonds, pepitas, walnuts, coconut slice

Not the greatest day food wise. I still have a few days worth of green smoothie with the 100% chocolate left. Will use that up but will NOT be using the 100% chocolate again. It is good for an energy buzz without worrying about the synthetic chemicals, and I admit I felt great this morning, but once the great feeling wore off my body felt energised and fatigued at the same time. Cannot be good for you!

At least I know what I take if I ever need occasional emergency energy...chocolate!

Well I have finally hit the 55's - I was 55.8kg when I weighed myselft this morning. Getting towards 'underweight' territory here.

I'm sure my 'buzzing' and limited food intake yesterday has contributed, but 1/2 a kilo overnight?? Thats a bit much. Tomorrow will show what the real effect has been, will be interesting to see if I gain any weight back after eating properly today.

I did end up getting to sleep last night, but I woke up a few hours later as per my usual alcohol affected pattern, lay awake for another few hours while my digestion started kicking in making it hard to relax, then finally I drifted off for another 2 hours. So I would be lucky to have gotten 4.5 hrs sleep last night. Not feeling too bad today. Started yawning madly on the drive home, which was a bit scary since it was belting down with rain and I couldnt see 100 meters in front of me.

I had some more green smoothie with the chocolate this morning, but it didnt seem to affect me today. I wasn't buzzed at all like yesterday and right now I feel quite relaxed. I could definately taste the chocolate in my smoothie, but I must have gotten a mega concentrated dose yesterday for some reason. Either way I think it might be negatively affecting my skin so I have ditched that batch and have made a new lot, just with coconut oil and milk, kale and blueberries. On the other hand it could be a little bit of stress as well. We'll see.

It has been overcast for the last few days so sun exposure has been non-existant. I did go for a 30 min walk again today at lunch time, so I should have gotten a small amount of sun through the clouds. It might be my imagination, but I think I can feel the muscles in my thighs working or tightening up or something whilst I've been walking. Or it could just be that they are sore because I havent exercised in ages! hehe. Actually my leg muscles do feel more obvious, maybe because there is less fat around them. Dunno.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday. While I was at the pub I was chatting to this older man who looked about 70-80 years old, boy was I surprised to hear he was only 55! Wow, if there was ever a poster child for alcoholism - he would be it! He looked terrible. I mean he is the same age as Mark Sisson and he looks 30 years older. He was even complaining to me that someone stole his gopher. He's 55 and needs a mobility scooter! My god.

So lesson number #1 for tonight folks: lay off the booze and look after your liver.

Food today was the usual:
    L: Spinach, chicken, mushroom and walnut salad
    D: Pan fried Salmon, kale and sweet potato
    S: lemon juice, 2x coconut slice, nuts and seeds, green smoothie (batch 2).

I was still 55.8kg this morning, which was interesting. Had a great nights sleep, meaning I got to sleep quickly, not after lying there for a few hours, and I stayed asleep until the alarm started chirping. I did hit the snooze button a few times though . This has to be down to not ingesting any chocolate at all since my smoothie in the morning, no 85% lindt chocolate squares either, and no booze.

I am definately not craving alcohol any more. I've had less than great days today and yesterday, and P2P I would have cracked open a bottle of white or started a 6 pack of beer when I got home, and more than likely finished the lot just to numb my feelings. Now I am thinking into the future and realising that alcohol may make me feel better now, but will only end up hurting me, and that is a real turn off. I always knew that alcohol was bad for you, but it didnt feel as personal as it does now.

I have been a bit upset at things lately, which is not good for my stress levels. When I am away from the situation I feel calmer but I know its still bubbling beneath the surface. I think its because I know a big part of my life is coming to and end soon, anyone would be sad at that. Unfortunately there is another big 'thing' that is compounding the situation, which is causing the most stress. Everything will turn out great and just how I want it to soon. 'Act out of love, not fear' and all that.

The sun was out today so I went for another lunch time walk and got my Vit D. I dont know if my skin is slightly worse, or it's just my impatience at it not being perfect NOW.

Food today:

B: Green smoothie (minus 100% chocolate), sweet potato, green tea
    L: Spinach, chicken, mushroom, sweet potato and walnut salad
    D: Kangaroo kebabs, frozen vege stir fry
    S: Green smoothie, kangaroo kebab, nuts and seeds, coconut slice, lemon juice.

55.9kg today. I have gained a grand total of 100 grams hehe.

Nothing major to report. Slept well, took a bit longer to fall asleep though. Didn't go for a "walk around the block" at lunch time today, just had a stroll to and from the bank, so a little sun and a little exercise. I shouldve taken advantage of the sun today because tomorrow is supposed to be thunderstorming

I threw out the rest of the lindt chocolate as well (I know, I know, what a waste of quality chocolate!) but I believe it was affecting my sleep when I was eating it after dinner, and the only stimulant I'm comfortable with taking is my detox green tea, which barely qualifies. My body is still in the process of healing, plus I'm still on the antibiotics, so the less junk I have in my body the better. I dont even want to drink alcohol but I suspect I may trip up on that one.

Appetite was up today, or maybe that was because I was really bored at work as usual. Whilst at work I had slight cravings for chocolate (mmmm Snickers....drool) coffee and something with pastry. I hope that it is just my hormones (even though my period isnt due for another 9 days) and not the first sign of falling off the bandwagon, not after I've been doing so well. Tomorrow we will have some visitors at work for drinks in the late afternoon, and they will be bringing beer, wine and snack food.....sigh. I will try to stick around for a little while, but I really dont want to hang around and tempt myself with potato chips and pastry things.

I found a beef jerky-type dried sausage whilst looking for a little snacky-thing this afternoon. All primal ingredients (except for a preservative) and no soy seasoning like in all the others. The only problem is that it's chock full of salt, however eating primal means the only salt I'm getting is the organic himalayan crystal salt I add into food myself. I'm missing out on all the hidden sodium in packaged foods, so I reckon it aint all bad in the grand scheme of things.

Food today:
    L: Salad of spinach, tinned wild alaskan salmon, leftover frozen veges from dinner, sweet potato
    D: Chicken breast marinated in cajun seasoning, lemon juice, premade garlic mince and EVOO, frozen veges (including some potato that I didnt realise was in there when I bought the packet).
    S: Almonds, walnuts, lemon juice, green smoothie, dried-beef-sausage-thing.

On the weekend I will definately have to make a big batch of something snacky to take to work with me.
    Last edited by siouxie84; 05-19-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Back up to 56.3kg today. Very strange. I know I shouldnt be weighing myself everyday, but it's getting kinda addictive.

Nil exercise or sun today, was belting down with rain as predicted. I was very good at work drinks today. There was yummy cheese and crackers and salamis and sausage and Asahi beer (yuuuuummmmmm) but I had no alcohol at all and only had a few olives and a marinated artichoke heart. Granted I only stayed for 30 mins, but thats all it usually takes! P2P I would have demolished 2-4 beers, lots of cheese, crackers and cold meats without even thinking about it.

One girl was bringing around the platter of cheese and meat for us to pick off, and I basically tried to back away over the filing cabinet to get away! Well not quite, but almost.

Haven't had any alcohol tonight (Friday) but I'm going out to dinner with my sister tomorrow so there will be some red wine then no doubt.

Food today:
    L: Spinach, chicken and sweet potato salad
    D: Baked salmon, sweet potato, garlic and evoo mash, chicken sausage
    S: Green smoothie, almonds and walnuts, dried beef sausage, 2 fried eggs, lemon juice, olives, artichoke heart

I was a bit naughty at dinner last night and had a sugary dessert. And white wine. And a pink fizzy dessert wine. Ooops.

The place we went to was a french bistro and I had squid stuffed with pureed salmon and some other stuff for entree and lamb with sweet potato mash and broccoli for main (the most primal dishes on the menu). I wasnt going to have dessert but I was a little bit tipsy from the wine, so I thought stuff it, why not. It was the lesser of all the evils on the menu-a pavlova slice (made with egg whites and a bucketload of sugar) with passionfruit and berry sauce. Sooooo yummy!

I got lots of sun today. I have been home alone all day so didnt put makeup on until just recently so I've had the sun directly on my face. I even went over the shops with no makeup (twice!) but I am FAR from happy or confident with my skin. However it says a lot that I would even contemplate being seen in public with no makeup on - albiet by perfect strangers who dont know me from a bar of soap. I still refuse to let people close to me see me without makeup. So I am healing!

I've been researching again, and I have added Turmeric to my diet as of today. Turmeric is highly anti-inflammatory, a blood and liver cleanser and a digestive aid. It's thought by some to even help with cancer and alzheimers. But as long as it helps my skin that is all I need. I put some in a glass of water and tried drinking it that way, but after a while I began gagging, so I have put a few teaspoons into my green smoothie and will add it to my nightly vege stir fries.

Food today (typical weekend, just grazed all day):
    Green smoothie, 3x riblets, sweet potato and avocado, walnuts, 3x store bought chicken tender skewers with bbq sauce, white fish fillet, green tea, salmon fillet and frozen vege stir fry with turmeric, 50% dark choc square.

I think Ive developed another benefit of PB. No bruising! Of course this is the first time Ive noticed it and I'm not keen on smacking myself around to experiment, so only time will tell.

Yesterday afternoon I got out of my car and turned around to reach over the drivers seat to get my bag off the passenger seat. The drivers door swung closed and whacked me hard on the hip, right on the bone. Needless to say there was a lot of yelling and swearing! However later that night and today I took a look and besides a small red abrasion where the door made contact, there is no bruise! The door hit me really hard so to have no discolouration at all is amazing! The pain subsided really quickly as well after it happened, after 20 or so minutes I had completely forgotten it had happened. Maybe the turmeric is helping already.

Speaking of turmeric, I think I put way too much into my batch of green smoothie. It tastes pretty rank at the moment, but bearable. I will finish this lot and tone down the amount I put in my next batch. Something like 1 Tbsp only.

Have had no sun or exercise over the last few days because I've had to go instore to do battle with my mobile phone company over a dud handset modern technology causes more hassles than it helps sometimes. All the more reason to go primal!

I have been getting bored with my normal menu lately, which has made me consider more conventional options (but I havent given in yet!). I have been craving mexican style ground beef after seeing a recipe on this site, and I will probably incorporate some premade indian curry pastes into my stirfries and things for some more variety.

I have been spending so much money on groceries these days its ridiculous. But my rationale is that its better to spend money on things that will genuinely make you look better from the inside out, than on beauty products and clothes that only mask an unhealthy body.

Food today (feel free to skip, nothing new)
    L: Spinach, tinned salmon, sweet potato and avo salad
    D: 2 Roo kebabs, frozen veges with walnuts and turmeric
    S: Walnuts, almonds, lemon juice, dried sausage, 1x 50% dark choc square.

Every night I wrack my brain to remember something else that I could have eaten - surely that isn't all I eat!?!?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 26 of my cycle and I think I've begun my period. Which isnt bad, but it would of been preferrable for it to wait for another 2 measly days. Still, it means my hormones are doing their normal thing which I'm more than happy about.

I've been reading up on what hormonal birth control does to your body, and besides the increased risk of breast cancer, apparently it also encourages insulin resistance! WTF?? I wont go into everything these evil little synthetic hormones do to you, but it is disgusting how Dr's allow women to take this poison, and then when they get sick later on they take their money to make them "better". There has to be a better way to convenienty control pregnancy.

Another new thing that I have noticed since going primal.
    For a while I have been noticing that I have been developing some obvious lines between the corners of my mouth and my nose, and whilst I was inspecting my skin for the umptheenth time last night (its a bit obsessive) I think those lines may be softer and less pronounced. All thanks to primal eating, green smoothies and topical lemon juice!

Take that expensive moisturiser manufacturers!

A few small breakouts, I'm sure thats just down to that time of the month. But it might also be due to the supermarket brand dark chocolate squares I have been having after dinner, so I will definiately be cutting them out. I mean it this time! It's annoying but I have to remind myself that I dont get cystic acne anymore (primal eating or antibiotics? dunno need to give it some more time). Regardless I am thankful.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast