Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is IF dangerous, when you have a bottomless pit for a stomach? page

Demize is offline Member

Is IF dangerous, when you have a bottomless pit for a stomach?

Shop Now
    I have heard people say they could eat a horse before (any one actually tried this?), and I don't mean to brag, but I laugh at those people. A horse? Really? A horse is an afternoon snack for me. I might be impressed if they said elephant, although morally I think that I would object.
    Any way, sorry for going off topic, I am going to start 16/8 IF however I am a little worried. I can eat A LOT in one sitting and not be bothered.
    I am 6'0", 187lbs, 22 y.o., gym three times a week, walks most days, bike ride here and there, dropped 44lbs since Jan 2010 initially going from no activity to running (got up to 10k's at one point) to finding primal (had lost about 16lbs before primal purely from running) and starting muai thai and BJJ to where I am now, LHT and moving slowly and sprinting. (Again, sorry for getting sidetracked, I do this) My metabolism keeps up with my eating although I often binge for weeks at a time on non primal fair and put weight back on (nah, no reason just lack of will power and bad attitude). I recently pulled myself together and began strictly primal eating and exercise and I am enjoying it, thats why I starting IF.
    My problem is: So some places say to eat two meals, some say three, some say graze, I think I was leaning towards two mini meals and a post-work out meal. I really worry that I will take this whole thing to far and eat whole chickens post work out (with heaps of vegies) and end up eating too much. What do people doing this eat? How much is a meal? I think that I should be aiming for around 2000-2500 calories (trying to lean up), what does this amount of calories look like?

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I can stuff an easy 2000 calories in one meal if I don't pay attention to how much I'm eating. Usually I get some 1500 calories at lunch and another 1000ish-1500 at dinner.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I can eat a lot too, and that's why I like IF. I can eat one or two huge satisfying meals and not feel deprived.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Give it a try. Your hunger may be due to your intense activity stoking your metabolism and a chronic calorie deficiency (starvation...)

I'm with Gary Taubes in that a calorie doesn't matter - your body self regulates as long as you don't put in too much crap (i.e. sugar that is metabolized into fat and is not recognized at all by the body or repeated high starchy carbohydrate intake which causes insulin resistance).

Demize is offline Member
    JPA what makes up a 1500 calorie meal? And when we are talking about a meal, does it have to be one meal or just an amount of food eaten within a timeframe?

Has anyone had trouble with overeating using IF?

I feel like a whole chicken tomorrow, might see what fitday says about that.

You can overeat on IF, and you can gain fat. If you are using IF as a weight loss tool, then you will still need to have a caloric deficit to see any real progress.

Demize is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    You can overeat on IF, and you can gain fat. If you are using IF as a weight loss tool, then you will still need to have a caloric deficit to see any real progress.
    Oops i may have seemed naive there, i did expect this to be the case. I was just wondering i perhaps people found it easier not to. I guess your responce answered that in that you dont feel deprived of your huge meals. What is a typical meal for you?

P.s. A whole chicken on fitday ranges between 1080-1600 calories. Helllloooooo BREAKfast

I will usually do two medium meals and I have a dessert blueberry smoothie most days. I will eat a lunch of 2-3 eggs, 2 pieces bacon, 2 cups veggies, some cheese and salsa. For dinner, a large piece of meat, veggies, maybe potatoes (sweet or red). Then my blueberry smoothie, which is a cup of frozen wild blueberries, maybe milk or cream, nut butter, sometimes a banana, blended.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I have managed a whole roast chicken, over a couple of hours.
    I'm a 5'2" girl

Real food should give you the right signals as to when to stop.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I just had lunch with 2 big pieces of lamb meat, salad, onion, garlic, drown in olive oil, macadamia butter, macadamia nuts, 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 apple, coffee and a couple of pieces of Easter cake which we call "pao-de-lo" or "folar" in Portugal. This one has 2 hard boiled eggs in the decoration of the cake (I know it's weird, it's tradition).

So I ate my share of gluten today, along with a bunch of other stuff... but it's Easter... at least I'm not stuffing myself with Easter chocolates... and even if I did... it's Easter.

This is an easy 1500-2000 calories right there. Usually my meals are like this, except without the fruit and cake.
    Last edited by JPA; 04-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast