Thread: Knee strength and lubrication page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

Knee strength and lubrication

I need to start training for ski touring with a heavy pack on. I haven't done anything that heavy duty for a while. I used to have a lot of trouble with knee pain (even just walking, going up and down stairs) which has gone since I went primal and only reappears if I've been lazy and started overdoing grains.

Any suggestions for helping to keep my joints strong and lubricated? I'm doing a basic Paleo diet with occasional extra D and Magnesium.

I'm not too keen on that joint supplement (forgotten the name- the one they usually recommend for arthritic joints) as a friend has taken it and observed hormonal responses to it.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that SpecOps. Can't argue with advice to eat more meaty bones ) - might be time for some oxtail soup.

I'd been really strict for a while but some gluten-free grains have started creeping in so I'll cut those out. Do you find starches like potato and sweet potato an issue? My understanding was that peeling removes most of the potato toxins. I know they aren't optimally primal but are considered okay by many folks.

I'm a little daunted at the moment, I found ski touring tough going when I was 30 and in the army. I'm just hoping that my improved nutritional status and focus on strength and long-slow exercise, rather than the wheat/carbs and cardio of those days will make a big difference. I'm very keen to get out into the snow-covered wilderness.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't bother with glucosamine and chondroitin...most of what they do is help neutralize wheat toxins.

The main thing is to be extremely anti-inflammatory. Being fascist about not consuming n-6 fats, and consuming adequate n-3 EPA/DHA, is much more important for almost everyone than a bit of solanine. I would remove nuts, nut butters, and chicken from your diet before I'd worry about potatoes or peppers, and I'd supplement at least 1g EPA and DHA per day, preferably 2g of each.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    I'd been really strict for a while but some gluten-free grains have started creeping in so I'll cut those out. Do you find starches like potato and sweet potato an issue? My understanding was that peeling removes most of the potato toxins. I know they aren't optimally primal but are considered okay by many folks.
    I've never had any issues with potatoes...yes, I peel them. The only grain I eat, even as a cheat, is white rice.

Shazkar is offline Junior Member
    i messed up my mcl last year snowboarding and then retweaked it in the gym stupidly, and while my knee still bothers me, it's gotten better a bit. but i found some good resources.... can't find them at the moment, but here's one by mike robertson who has a book out on knee pain as well: T NATION | 18 Tips for Bulletproof Knees

good tips there

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    I wouldn't bother with glucosamine and chondroitin...most of what they do is help neutralize wheat toxins.

The main thing is to be extremely anti-inflammatory. Being fascist about not consuming n-6 fats, and consuming adequate n-3 EPA/DHA, is much more important for almost everyone than a bit of solanine. I would remove nuts, nut butters, and chicken from your diet before I'd worry about potatoes or peppers, and I'd supplement at least 1g EPA and DHA per day, preferably 2g of each.

I've never had any issues with potatoes...yes, I peel them. The only grain I eat, even as a cheat, is white rice.
    I have to agree with this for joint health. Limit your n6 amounts and get plenty of n3 by consuming wild caught fish a few times a week.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

norak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Fish oil has made the biggest difference for me.
    +1.