Thread: Dried fruit confusion page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Dried fruit confusion

Shop Now
    I often read that dried fruit is "loaded with sugar."

Are people making this statement based on a comparable weight of fresh vs. dried fruit?

I certainly understand that a pound of fresh vs. a pound of dry will simply equal more sugar because there is more bulk fruit, but this statement always confuses me. I just don't see how taking a pound of strawberries or something and dehydrating it down to whatever weight "creates" more sugar?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Nope - you are right. There is no additional sugar in the dried fruit (as long as none has been added). I think the problem is that it is very easy to overeat the dried fruit for many people. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to eat ten dried apricots - but most people wouldn't eat ten whole apricots in one sitting.

I hate dried fruit - but seems like lots of people love it!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Nope - you are right. There is no additional sugar in the dried fruit (as long as none has been added). I think the problem is that it is very easy to overeat the dried fruit for many people. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to eat ten dried apricots - but most people wouldn't eat ten whole apricots in one sitting.

I hate dried fruit - but seems like lots of people love it!
    Yes, this is exactly it.

I love dried fruit- especially dried cherries. I can eat a ton of cherries as it is. Dry them out and I'll eat a whole damn tree.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    It has more sugar for the amount that takes to fill you up.
    Take for example, dried bananas or apples.
    For me, I get sooo full if I eat an apple or a banana. But I could eat maybe 3 dried apples and it would fill me up wayy less. And there you go! All of a sudden you have 25g (per apple) of carbs in you for none of the fullness/satiety you wanted.
    I do eat dried blueberries, some raisins, and i loove dried cranberries! Good in nut "trail" mixes, just make sure not to overdo it

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    A lot of dried fruit also has suger added. Often dried Cherries and other sour fruits (craisins) will have sugar added.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    ...oh, and vegetable oil. Got to get that into everything. (*rant*)