Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some weight loss questions page

hitek79 is offline Junior Member

Some weight loss questions

Shop Now
    So my wife and I are about 8 weeks into our change to a more primal lifestyle. We're both pretty active people, but have put on about 30lbs over the last few years with poor eating habits. Exercise alone doesn't cut it anymore now that we're both around 30 years old.

My wife decided about 4 months that she was ready to lose the weight, and started working out 4 times a week, and counting her calories, but to no real avail. She lost a couple of lbs, and definitely is in better shape, but nowhere near the results she was expecting. So we came across the Paleo diet, and then here to MDA. I told her I would go along with the changes in diet to help her as much as I could. We're now 8 weeks into, she has continued working out 3-4 times a week, and has only lost another 3lbs. Me on the other hand, I've dropped 12lbs and have only done 3 bike rides in 2 month as far as exercise goes.

So one last piece of the puzzle is that about 3 weeks ago she came across some information that Prilosec, which she took regularly, has been shown to cause weight gain, and she stopped taking it immediately. She's still at the same plateau though. Now overall we're both totally sold on the lifestyle, but she's still searching for a way to drop the weight. Anyone else come up against this wall? Thanks in advance for any input!

js290 is offline Senior Member

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Don't expect the exercise to change much. Diet matters way more. I agree with the diet controls hormones which set weight explanation. I don't think your post has enough detail for anyone to offer specific insight or advice. When I'm stalling on weight, I look at carbs first and stay VLC, and cut back on fat, and just eat less, but not everyone here says that.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If you watch the boards long enough you'll realize that Primal diet affects men and women differently. It's like we have a bajillion extra hormones to fight with or something.

I think her biggest thing will be getting her system sorted and straightened out, and make sure there aren't any issues left unresolved. It seems a lot of us women have really effed up metabolisms from the torture we've put ourselves through in past years. It takes a little while to correct it. This is also probably why it seems like the guys can be more lenient on Primal diet than the ladies. Our systems seem to compound problems.

She'll have to be patient. When her system gets right with itself, it'll take a lot less effort.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Diet = 80%.
    That video is EXTREMELY important and very insightful you should definitely watch it.
    I also agree with DFH. What is her food/diet history? Metabolism? What does she eat in a day? What kind of workouts?

Personally, this is what I did: I counted religiously to get an idea of what under 100g carbs/day was and what 100g fat looked like and what 80g protein looked like. Then I just went by what felt right and it ended up being THE EXACT SAME as my targets. So you don't really need to count. That's the beauty of primal.
    Tell her to try this: eat only when TRULY hungry. Exercise when you feel energized and truly interested in it. If you get "cravings", eat fat/protein. E.g. mmm brownie, NO! cook 3 scrambled eggs with some cream and butter. YUM.
    But as always, everyone is different! It might take a bit of playing around with her diet to make it work. Maybe she's eating more carbs because she's working out so much and doesn't even realize it...maybe she's eating so little that her body's in starvation mode? Really, I don't know.
    But congrats to BOTH OF YOU for making this great lifestyle change (and WOW 12 lbs in 8 weeks!!)

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    The only way I can get the scale to reliably move is to cut carbs way low, and up my fat so I stay at around 2000 calories. If I dip below that amount, or go above around 50 carbs a day, I don't budge on my weight. But that's me, and my biggest weight loss issue is hormone related.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    If you watch the boards long enough you'll realize that Primal diet affects men and women differently. It's like we have a bajillion extra hormones to fight with or something.

I think her biggest thing will be getting her system sorted and straightened out, and make sure there aren't any issues left unresolved. It seems a lot of us women have really effed up metabolisms from the torture we've put ourselves through in past years. It takes a little while to correct it. This is also probably why it seems like the guys can be more lenient on Primal diet than the ladies. Our systems seem to compound problems.

She'll have to be patient. When her system gets right with itself, it'll take a lot less effort.
    So true! Goddamn boobs and hormones.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    ...my biggest weight loss issue is hormone related.
    That may be everybody's issue with weight...

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Has she seen results in the way her clothes fit? Sometimes going primal/paleo for women means they increase their protein intake by a lot and they end up building muscle, especially if they are active- but even if they are not.

So while she may not see the scale move much, she might be seeing results in smaller measurements.

j_wren is offline Junior Member
    +1 on cutting carbs and giving it time. My husband can just stop eating sugar for a week and his 6 pack goes to an 8 pack (love him and hate him for that!). For me, I've got to get the carb count down to nearly nil to see any change, measured by pounds or inches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast