Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightshades page

Elegant_Phoenix is offline Junior Member

Nightshades

Primal Fuel
    I was told this morning by my doc that I needed to remove foods from my diet that contain Lectins, along with diary, eggs and all grains/seeds. I am so glad I already had a basic knowledge of Primal eating through friends or I would have been completely lost!

In reading through the Blog posts, it says that nightshades are souces of Lectins. It lists "potatoes", as well as eggplant, tomatos and peppers.

Does this just refer to white potatoes, or does it include sweet potatoes and yams as well?

I've searched on the internet as well, and just "potatoes" is listed.

Thanks so much for the clarification!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes and yams are not nightshades. They are not actually potatoes! WHFoods: Are sweet potatoes just orange-colored regular potatoes?

I did a lectin removal diets with amazing success - but beware, those pesky nightshades hide in places you wouldn't expect. Especially paprika......paprika is not my friend

Good luck!

Thank you!!!

OMG. Paprika. I just pulled a roasted chicken out of the oven. And what did I sprinkle on the skin??? Paprika. Blarg. I'll eat it, but I'll banish the paprika from the spice rack for a while.

I'll get the hang of this soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant_Phoenix View Post
    Thank you!!!

OMG. Paprika. I just pulled a roasted chicken out of the oven. And what did I sprinkle on the skin??? Paprika. Blarg. I'll eat it, but I'll banish the paprika from the spice rack for a while.

I'll get the hang of this soon...
    I feel your pain Eight months in to low lectin/nightshade free eating and I still get burned by that stinkin' paprika every now and again!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Curious - how do the lectins affect you and what changed when you removed them? Even a few shakes of paprika, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Curious - how do the lectins affect you and what changed when you removed them? Even a few shakes of paprika, wow!
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis about 6 weeks ago. Along with that, I have leaky gut and leaky brain. Apparently, I have a lot of inflamation in my system, especially in the brain. All of this with kidney stones, low vitamin D and very low ferritin and iron. This is all caused by the auto-immune component of the Hashimoto's. My body is being attacked by antibodies and by eating gluten and other inflamation causing foods, it can make it worse. I'm reactive to the point where I got irritated and reactive by helping my 5 year old eat a pita sandwich yesterday.

So I called my doc in tears this morning and he's having me give this a shot.

I think the idea is to reduce inflamation and calm the gut as well as the blood/brain barrier cells. Sort of like an elimination diet.

For me it is severe autoimmune arthritis. I have been on every drug and tried every diet out there. Nightshade free/low lectin version of PB has me pretty close to in remission. Down to one drug and hoping to ditch that at some point.

I am really sensitive to nightshades - although as my inflammation gets better and better, I can tolerate little hits of them better. But in the beginning even a little bit could trigger me. I still would never eat a nightshade meal, but if I am eating out or at friends I don't abstain if there is a little pepper or something.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Damn. Counting my blessings that the nightshades don't bother me. I don't eat many potatoes but I'd sure hate to give up my peppers & 'maters. Here's hoping you both can get it sorted out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Damn. Counting my blessings that the nightshades don't bother me. I don't eat many potatoes but I'd sure hate to give up my peppers & 'maters. Here's hoping you both can get it sorted out soon.
    Thanks! I do have to say, if I could choose one food group to add back in it would be a tough toss up between dairy and nightshades. I didn't really think I would miss them, but I really do miss spicy foods and condiments!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I need to do this, I am still having lots of body soreness and aches. But I am burying my head in the sand lol!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast