Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORMER VEGETARIANS/PESCATARIANS - Help! page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

FORMER VEGETARIANS/PESCATARIANS - Help!

Primal Fuel
    I want to start eating chicken again (I eat fish), maybe, and I've recently been craving salami and bacon (very odd)...but I just CAN'T seem to do it. I haven't eaten meat (except fish) in 4 years and it seems to just have become part of me but I know I need more protein. My moral qualms are more about steak, I don't think I could eat cow meat right now...
    Any suggestions on how you broke through? I'm also borderline anemic, so it would help

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I was vegetarian for 3 years in my 20s. When I got to the point that I was too busy to manage my diet well enough, I started getting cravings for meat, and it was weird eating it the first few times, but I got over it pretty quickly.

I would also suggest iron pills. You will have increased energy and a better mood with a better iron level. I still supplement iron even with a pretty meat heavy diet since I tend to having low iron chronically. When I am low iron, I get dry skin, depressed and have no energy. It takes me a couple of weeks to get my iron levels up to feeling normal.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I was vegetarian for 3 years in my 20s. When I got to the point that I was too busy to manage my diet well enough, I started getting cravings for meat, and it was weird eating it the first few times, but I got over it pretty quickly.

I would also suggest iron pills. You will have increased energy and a better mood with a better iron level. I still supplement iron even with a pretty meat heavy diet since I tend to having low iron chronically. When I am low iron, I get dry skin, depressed and have no energy. It takes me a couple of weeks to get my iron levels up to feeling normal.
    Yeah, I was prescribed folic acid + iron. Thanks. I guess it's just about really weighing the benefits against the costs and goin for it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I was a veggie/pesci for 14 years. I finally broke my meat fast by eating a free-range turkey at Thanksgiving. I cooked it and it was delicious!

See if you can find a free-range chicken and make celebration out of it.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Been there too. I don't eat conventionally produced meat - I go for game meat instead. I can eat that with MUCH more (perfect) peace; the animals have had a proper life.

But I can follow you. It's very hard/strange/uncomfortable to suddenly eat animals again...

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I was raised vegetarian - I was a vegetarian and occasional vegan for about 25 years, at which point I became pescatarian. I finally went omnivorous at age 28 after becoming interested in evolutionarily appropriate nutrition.

The first red meat I was able to eat was some good, dry-rubbed bacon. I've heard bacon called the gateway meat, so maybe it's not that weird that you're craving it after all. Then rare steak - I still have mixed feelings about well-cooked beef. The first poultry I was able to eat was some smoked free range turkey. The big factor in breaking through my squeamishness was finding stuff that was humanely and sustainably produced on local farms. At this point, I'm eating all animals comfortably, and am even starting to get into the stranger parts (I just brought home my third oxtail).

I feel much better now too - my iron levels have always tested as normal, even though I would regularly experience symptoms of anemia. I don't get those symptoms anymore. I think my body is having an easier time assimilating the iron from animal sources.

Anyway, you can totally do this!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Bacon: the gateway meat.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Veg/vegan for 6/8 years and it's funny that I craved the cured meats as well. I always attributed it to my southern Italian heritage. I came back to fish then chicken and finally meat. To this day I can take or leave a steak but I do like the cheaper cuts simmered all day. Grass fed is too expensive so I tend to stick w/ ground beef.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Tanyayogi, my diet was like yours (except I did it for 16 years with bouts of veganism). The thing that helped me SO MUCH to overcome my fear of eating meat was reading The Vegetarian Myth (written by a former long-term vegan). It really dismantled any guilt I had and helped me to let go of vegetarianism being part of my identity. It's also just a really thought provoking book and so worth reading.

As for the chicken, try it in soup first. Try some crumbled bacon in a salad or soup. When you get braver, try some ground bison in chili. Ease yourself into it. I remember taking my first bite of meat (I decided to make it an event and go for bison- I wanted a big strong animal that embodied the qualities I wanted in my own health) and that bite was really good and I ended up wanting more! It wasn't traumatic like I had thought it might be.

Good luck

tarek is offline Senior Member
    After being a vegan for three years, I slowly incorporated meats and animal products back into my diet. First dairy, then eggs, then fish, then poultry, and then, finally, red meats. The first cut of red meat I had was some veal cooked medium rare, and I LOVED it. I had never had anything but well-done meat prior to this, so I was really worried that I wouldn't like it. Quite the opposite! I would suggest taking it slowly, however. I didn't eat red meat until about three or four months after trying fish for the first time. There's no rush, and you'll do fine eating only fish and poultry for a while. When you're ready, dive into red meat -- but make sure it's humanely-raised and grass-fed. It might be best to have someone who knows how to cook prepare it for you. :]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast