Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein question page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

Protein question

I'm a pescatarian and I love eggs. However, fish is expensive so I don't buy it often, I eat it maybe 3x a week. Everyday, I eat at least 2 eggs (this is all OK-ed by my doctor who hates CW and LOVES PB! YAY), but that's nowhere near enough protein, even with nuts, and some dairy...
    I usually aim for 70-85g protein (I'm 5'1, 26% BF I think, 116 lbs, did all the calculations)

2 eggs = 12g protein; 3 eggs = 18g protein
    1 large serving full-fat homemade Greek yogurt = 14g protein (with only 6g carbs!)
    1/4 cup nut mix = 6g protein

3 eggs + Greek yogurt + nuts = 38g protein

Should I up my egg intake? Or buy more shrimp (cheaper and 23g protein per 1/4 lb)? I also eat spinach/broccoli daily, but not enough to really bring up my protein uptake drastically...Help, I don't feel ready to eat meat/chicken yet!

BTW, I'm 18 and have no job (can't get one in Argentina) and my mom and I split the cost on groceries but everything I buy tends to be on the expensive side (my nuts, my fruits, etc.)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Do whatever you want. Both options are fine. You are over-thinking this...

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    why dont you eat meat?? you need meat especially given your past. i dont know what pescatarian is but if it is a belief, you may do yourself a favor and study up nutrition needed for the human body. your not not only getting low protein your getting no where near the amino acids you need

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    why dont you eat meat?? you need meat especially given your past. i dont know what pescatarian is but if it is a belief, you may do yourself a favor and study up nutrition needed for the human body. your not not only getting low protein your getting no where near the amino acids you need
    Pescatarian = only eat fish

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    +1

also based on your pictures i don't think you are anywhere near 26% bf, i would say more like 18%... i agree with mal, i think your focus needs to step away from weight loss, onto nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    +1

also based on your pictures i don't think you are anywhere near 26% bf, i would say more like 18%... i agree with mal, i think your focus needs to step away from weight loss, onto nutrition
    On a great day I usually eat 3 eggs, and a ton of really good, fresh salmon. It's just soo expensive! Yeah the BF% thing is an estimate I did on internet. Anyways, I am working on fat loss until I can be truly happy with my body while at the same time becoming healthier and kicking my sweet tooth (or at least, taming it). I've lost 2 lbs in my first 10 days of Primal almost effortlessly and I had 2 pretty non-Primal carby days of those 10, and as far as exercise goes I did yoga 4-5x, long walk 1x and LHT 1x. I don't think my weight loss is getting in the way of my nutrition

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyayogi View Post
    On a great day I usually eat 3 eggs, and a ton of really good, fresh salmon. It's just soo expensive! Yeah the BF% thing is an estimate I did on internet. Anyways, I am working on fat loss until I can be truly happy with my body while at the same time becoming healthier and kicking my sweet tooth (or at least, taming it). I've lost 2 lbs in my first 10 days of Primal almost effortlessly and I had 2 pretty non-Primal carby days of those 10, and as far as exercise goes I did yoga 4-5x, long walk 1x and LHT 1x. I don't think my weight loss is getting in the way of my nutrition
    would you be able to find canned salmon? it's cheaper.

i don't think weight loss is getting in the way of nutrition, because you have been doing a really good job of eating primal given being a pescatarian, i just think that, as mal said, given your past, there are certain things your body needs more than other people's bodies do, and the lens you're approaching it through seems to be more focused on weight loss/reducing the carbs rather than eating nutritiously. it seems unhealthy given things like saying you won't be truly happy with your body until you've reached your fat loss goal... once you get there you may want more. this is something i struggle with too, but it's important to try to be happy with what you've got now, anything else is a recipe for misery.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the canned fish - we can't afford fresh salmon and we are an average middle class family! You can add heavy whipped cream which has some protein, and cheese as well.

I agree with imasin about making sure you are getting what you need nutritionally before you worry about weight loss. Until you get your body balances back to what they should be, you may have a hard time losing weight anyways.

Also, if you can try some meat some time, it may not be as bad as you think!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    would you be able to find canned salmon? it's cheaper.

i don't think weight loss is getting in the way of nutrition, because you have been doing a really good job of eating primal given being a pescatarian, i just think that, as mal said, given your past, there are certain things your body needs more than other people's bodies do, and the lens you're approaching it through seems to be more focused on weight loss/reducing the carbs rather than eating nutritiously. it seems unhealthy given things like saying you won't be truly happy with your body until you've reached your fat loss goal... once you get there you may want more. this is something i struggle with too, but it's important to try to be happy with what you've got now, anything else is a recipe for misery.
    No, I don't think it's unhealthy per se. Right now, I like my body, my mindset is no longer an ED mindset. Plus, I have doctor+boyfriend+mother+shrink monitoring me and I've already promised them that I don't want to and won't get under a certain weight.
    I've been eating "nutritiously" for a while now, I recovered almost 2 years ago and already went through the re-feeding stage. I haven't eaten under 1200 calories purposefully in a LONGGGGGG time. Canned salmon sounds like a good idea. I had forgotten about canned tuna, too! Is the kind preserved in oil better than the kind preserved in water? Oh probably not cos I doubt it's olive oil.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I agree on the canned fish - we can't afford fresh salmon and we are an average middle class family! You can add heavy whipped cream which has some protein, and cheese as well.

I agree with imasin about making sure you are getting what you need nutritionally before you worry about weight loss. Until you get your body balances back to what they should be, you may have a hard time losing weight anyways.

Also, if you can try some meat some time, it may not be as bad as you think!
    I'm going to try! My boyfriend's the biggest meat-eater ever, he's going to be so happy haha.
    My body balances are in check except for my iron levels being ALMOST anemic. I got a blood check recently and a doctor checkup too and she says I'm very healthy. My metabolism is also back on track since I'm losing weight at like 1,500-1,600 cals a day, if not more, which is INSANE for me (I'm little).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast