Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MaBelle's PJ: Wait, What? Homebrew isn't Primal? page

MaBelle is offline Member

MaBelle's PJ: Wait, What? Homebrew isn't Primal?

newbie here, starting a primal journal for record-keeping/accountability/whatevs...

I'm 37, had a horrid realization of my fat/unhealthfulness over the past few months and need to make some significant changes in my approach to nutrition and lifestyle. I've been fascinated/lurking as a non-member over here for a while and now's the time. I've ordered the book, read lots of MDA and forum archives, made a first-2weeks' menu plan and made my first primal grocery trip Thursday.

Issues so far -

OMG $231 at the grocery! Ack! But that did include a lot of high-dollar "staples" and I should have broken the list into a) Whole Foods-only items (supplements, coconut oil, specific spices, etc) and b) regular grocery items. since I've lived in Austin, I've maybe been in the WF three times or so...I just didn't get the Whole Paycheck joke until now!

I learned that adding Coconut Oil to coffee is a pleasant taste to me, but that when you stick your mug back into the microwave to reheat it, the OIL will come back to the top and that taking a big swig without stirring/allowing it to cool...is painful. Hot oil on the tongue...YOUCH! So regardless of how tasty everything might be, I'll not enjoy anything until the burned tongue heals.

and lastly...my husband makes the best beer ever and I am SO going to miss it for a while. For weight/health reasons I just can't afford the carbs of a homebrew (because really, who just has a homebrew?)

Starting Stats:

Current Wt: 175lb Goal: Healthful/Fit
    Current Ht: 5'5" Goal: LOL! I'm stuck, though posture/shape improvements might make me seem taller!

My tape measure is missing, when it resurfaces or I pick up a new one, I'll post body measurements - as improving those truly are my end goal.

so in summary - HI and Happy to be here!

OK, I MacGuyver'd a no-measuring tape solution using a length of twine & my husband's metal measuring tape with the auto-stop...

Bust 42
    Chest 34
    Waist 38
    Hip 45
    Midwaist 41
    Thigh 26
    Knee 18
    Calf 15
    Upper Arm 13
    Forearm 11
    Wrist 6.5

According to Home Body Fat Test :

"You have 34.5% body fat.
    You have 60.7 Pounds of fat and 115.3 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water)."

not that it's anywhere near as accurate as other tests, but it's a baseline. According to their data, the 'Average American' has 32% body fat. So I'm slightly above average than the normal fat American!

ok - off the boards to get moving on my chores. Cleaning my home after 3 straight camping weekends isn't fun, but does it count as moving today?!

Yesterday:
    BF: 2 cup coffee w/ whole milk & one tbsp coconut oil, 2 eggs in CO, handful of blackberries
    L: --nothing
    S: handful of macadamia nuts
    D: fry up in ghee of onion, mushroom, canadian bacon, spinach
    AGH - 3 Modelo Especials. Boo me!
    Supplements: D3, Fishoil Om3s at dinner, B12 in the afternon
    also, urinating A LOT. Grumpy grumpy grumpy (carb flu?) and my stomach rumbled & churned with (I think) a poor reaction to coconut oil. Didn't have it today and have not had the rumbling/nausea.

I think I need to not drink modelo especial since it's a PALE PALE imitation of what I really want, which is homebrew. The webs say Modelo is 4g carb, but the missing 18g (homebrew is akin to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at 220cal & 22g carb) is really missing.

Today so far:

BF: 2 cups coffee with wh.milk, 4 strips bacon & 1 hardboiled egg**
    Snack: handful macadamias at 11:30, nibble of daughter's chocolate bunny's ear!

**no CO in coffee and dear daughter (age 4.5) and I made dyed eggs last night - she kept wanting to paint more & more, so we ended up using all 18 eggs we had in the house. boo but cute in that she asked, "Mom, can we make more cardboard eggs to paint?"

finished up yesterday 4/23/2011 going to a bbq/Easter cookout at a friends, lots of PRIMAL friendly as good friend hosting is also going low-carb. Had 2 ribs, 1 chicken leg, my own dish of cabbage and onions sauteed in bacon fat. 2 red-wine spritzers. Calling it a successful first social event while doing a primal approach.

Today 4/24/2011:
    Breakfast - coffee with CO, then 2 hours later 3oz homemade beef jerky & a handful of macademias - also D3, Fish Oil
    Lunch - chicken breast with skin, green beans, sauteed cabbage
    Snack - handful of walnuts

Trying not to drink anything (alcohol) tonight. Steeling myself.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil & coconut milk in my coffee which i think is a good mix. Seems like you're doing good thus far. The only thing I can think of to recommend would be to cut back on the milk consumption. Even though you may not be having a lot of dairy, milk has 17g of carbs a serving and dairy can hinder weight loss. If you do fine with dairy, stick with hard cheeses but still hold back a bit on dairy. If you aren't sure about the coconut milk in your coffee, then try heavy whipping cream. More fat and less carbs than whole milk.
    Georgette

One thing I've noticed from the weekend and today is that I just don't have a good sense of being hungry vs. wanting to eat for a variety of reasons (boredom, comfort, etc). I have had an ED for years and thus am not going to do IF purposefully...BUT I'm concerned that I don't have a good sense of body cues re: hunger. Any suggestions about recognizing the signals or perhaps resetting this function?

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I use coconut oil & coconut milk in my coffee which i think is a good mix. Seems like you're doing good thus far. The only thing I can think of to recommend would be to cut back on the milk consumption. Even though you may not be having a lot of dairy, milk has 17g of carbs a serving and dairy can hinder weight loss. If you do fine with dairy, stick with hard cheeses but still hold back a bit on dairy. If you aren't sure about the coconut milk in your coffee, then try heavy whipping cream. More fat and less carbs than whole milk.
    since I've been using roughly a quarter cup whole milk between two mugs' worth of coffee...it masks some of the oiliness of the CO. i will get some heavy cream tonight (as I also have some raspberries and blackberries that are CRYING OUT for some heavy-cream treatment!) I did buy some coconut milk, but it's a progression for me to consider cutting out the milk entirely and moving to the c-milk. thank for the feedback!
    Last edited by MaBelle; 04-25-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: grammar

I wouldn't do any purposeful IF's yet. Especially if you're recovering from an ED, you need time to relearn how your body works. If you can start to recognize what cues you into eating when you shouldn't such as boredom, anxiety, etc then find out what causes it and do something about it. If you find you want to eat when you're bored, take a walk. If you're feeling anxious about something and want to eat, write down what is making you feel this way, then go for a walk or do something. Usually if you do something to counteract the problem you will notice the appetite going away. I strive to eat 3 meals a day on most days and primarilly IF on the weekends.
    Georgette

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're nervous about the taste of coconut milk, add a bit of vanilla extract to the coffee. Tastes like a latte' you'd get from a coffee house.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast